New kitten, older cat not eating

MillieMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have read some posts here about this situation. I have a 9 year old female and two years ago I adopted a kitten who grew into a large cat who wanted to play and dominate her. She managed to get along with him as long as we distracted him with play toys but I just adopted a new kitten with behavior that is beyond frisky to give the 2 year old a pal to distract him from the times he upsets her by wanting to play. This kitten races around like a maniac compelling me to play with him with toys and he wants to play with the two year old and does but often the big guy has to pin him to the ground and bite him to show who’s boss which doesn’t bother him - he comes back for more. But now my older female stopped eating and grooming and hides. I am bringing her to the vet today after two days of no food and separating her and giving her excessive affection. I usually separate new kittens from cats in the home but this little guy has more energy than any kitten I’ve ever adopted so I let him out of the bathroom to race about the apartment and play but now wonder if I should return him to the bathroom for several days and give the others a respite.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give your female a safe place, maybe a bedroom, etc. with the door closed for a few days, then left open. You could even put a baby gate up to let her get used to the new one. You might move her food and a litter box next to where she is hiding in there and try that. Of course she is upset, her world is being shattered by a maniac kitten who annoys her to no end. This is normal and all will be well in a few weeks.
I'm glad you got a boy, the two males should get along great in time and become buddies. Pinning the kitten to the ground and disciplining him is exactly what the kitten needs to learn self-control. As long as he comes back for more and doesn't start hiding from your older boy, everything is normal. Mature cats are hardwired to not harm kittens. Your 'maniac' kitten is being completely normal. All kittens have so much energy they are always playing very hard and getting into trouble.
Your female is acting normal too. They are the limit setters, the discipline teachers. They VERY rarely want to play with others, especially the boys. It is very annoying to them. you did exactly right by getting a male kitten to be a companion to the other. I have always said the perfect cat family is two boys to keep each other entertained and a female to rule over them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MillieMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the specificity of insight. I read online that it is dangerous for a cat to not eat for two or three days and to force feed them so they get protein but that is not an option. I just feel conflicted about her atypical behavior - she stopped grooming herself too and she is an avid self groomer resulting in occasional hair balls so though she is physically strong I can’t tell if it is stress, illness or both. I appreciate your comprehensive reply very much.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have leukemia so can get very sick and quit eating too. The ONLY thing that keeps them alive is a few licks a day of Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. No matter how sick they have never completely refused it. I get it online by the box, I give their meds in it every day too. You might get some.