New Kitten Older Cat More Questions About Feeding Time

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Emily is about 2-1/2 yrs and I recently adopted Bob who's about 4 months. I've had him 2 weeks and they've been together 12 days and have been getting along fine so far. I'm having a problem with feeding time. I feed both twice a day. I feed Emily first with the kitten in my family room separate and when she's finished eating I feed the kitten in the family room separate. I tried feeding both at the same time and no luck. All has been going fine until the last couple of days. Emily is only eating half her food then buries it. She's still eating some which is good. I've tried putting the kitten in the bathroom so Emily can't see him and all Emily does is sit outside the door still not interested in her food. My family room has a glass sliding door so they can see each other. If I fed them the same thing it would probably be OK but I don't. Last night Emily only ate half of her wet food so I gave her some dry and she ate most of it. I always add water to her dry and wet food but this am I saw her drinking water which I normally don't see but that could be because of the dry? Any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be stressed, sometimes it is hard to tell, cats are very good at hiding their feelings. Two weeks is not long at all. I would encourage drinking, leaving small bowls of water around the house, water prevents kidney issues, so common in cats. Twice a day is not really enough for a 4 month old kitten, they need lots of food and often. If dry is left out for him in between that woudl be good. Something maybe they both could eat? What special diet is she on? I would let them eat together and see how it goes, the kitten most likely is a lot hungrier and would eat some of hers. That may put her more at ease though. Having him locked up may be bothering her. Kittens should be fed all they can eat up to a year. If your girl eats less and less, or stops eating, or starts drinking more and more, bring her into the vet, something is going on and sometimes that is the only way they can tell you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed Emily Purina One sensitive stomach (with added water) in the am and Taste of the Wild canned (with water and probiotics) in the pm. The kitten I'm feeding Purina One Kitten mixed with Fancy Feast kitten. Which dry food do you think I could leave out that wouldn't cause diarrhea in both or make Emily gain weight??? I'm feeding the kitten the right amount of calories a day from the information I have found. Emily does get stressed out easily. I put hurricane shutters up and she wouldn't eat because of that because it was a change. Water is always out in several areas.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could keep feeding what you are and maybe leave out some Purina indoor which is a lower calorie food. Hopefully being Purina it won't upset Emily's stomach!