New kitten, older cat and new home?

lorinkittycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family has a 5 year old cat and we are thinking of getting a new baby kitten! My current cat is very territorial/scared, every now and then a neighbor cat goes to our yard and she hisses and hides but i know this is normal cat behavior so I'm not worried. We are moving in couple of months and i was wandering if this is the perfect time to get another cat because she wont be as territorial if it isn't really her territory? Is it better to get a cat or kitten in this situation? How old should the kitten be? Should we get the kitten before, right after or wait awhile before we move? Will it be to much stress on my cat if i move then get a kitten? Sorry for all the questions i just really want them to get along. :) thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are a lot more tolerant of a kitten and don't take as long to get used to the newcomer. But you should seriously consider getting two kittens so they play together, they really annoy an older cat! Otherwise a neutered male would be a good choice, in my opinion two females have too many clashes and don't get along very well. There is usually only room for ONE diva! good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorinkittycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
false
Cats are a lot more tolerant of a kitten and don't take as long to get used to the newcomer. But you should seriously consider getting two kittens so they play together, they really annoy an older cat! Otherwise a neutered male would be a good choice, in my opinion two females have too many clashes and don't get along very well. There is usually only room for ONE diva! good luck!
thank you so much for the quick reply! my mom will not get a male because she is afraid of spraying. Will 2 females be that big of a problem?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If your resident female is territorial, then, yes, adding another female to the mix can be a problem. Remember, a kitten will grow into an adult and develop its own personality (this typically happens around 9-12 mo of age.) Females on a whole are more territorial.

Has your cat ever been around another cat as an adult?

I also agree that getting 2 kittens would likely be best in your situation as they would be less demanding of attention from your current cat. However, I would strongly urge you to consider a 9+ mo old that is social, but independent if you can only get 1.

Also keep in mind that some cats *hate* kittens. Two of my cats get aggressive towards any cat under 6 mo and one cat has a dislike for any cat younger than him (he does great with older cats.) I work for a rescue and know which of my cats can socialize with kittens and which ones cannot.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had at least 10 male cats in my life and a neutered male almost NEVER sprays.That usually goes with an unaltered male who is marking his territory. If a male is neutered BEFORE he starts spraying,which they usually start after 6 months, you won't have that problem. Neutered males are usually  friendlier too and like to cuddle. Good luck in whatever you choose!