New Kitten Not Eating Or Doing The Toilet

Natcat278

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi I got a new baby yesterday apparently 8 weeks but is still wobbly on his feet so I assume younger. He has not ate drank or done the toilet it is worrying me. I got him about 24 hours ago. He is tiny

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

It does sound like your boy is younger than you were told. Young kittens often need help with both eating and toileting, and it sounds like your little guy needs your help.

Is he drinking or eating anything at all? It's dangerous for a kitten to go this long without food or water. The most important thing right now is to get some nutrition and hydration into him. The following articles will give you more information:-
Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide
How Old Is My Kitten?
Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own
The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box

A vet visit asap would be a good idea too, for a basic health check and to get a clear idea of his age.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like he is much younger than 8 weeks. Can you post a photo?

I'd agree that a vet visit to determine age and get a start on any medical problems is top priority. He likely is dehydrated right now and at risk of fading kitten syndrome, a vet can make all the difference in that situation.

If he is close to the 8 weeks you may be looking at some sort of digestive problem or infection. The wobbly could be just lack of food at this point. Very young kittens don't drink water because they still get moisture from nursing, you can offer a shallow dish of KMR or Goats Milk to see if the kitten will lap it up. Also a slurry of one of those two with wet kitten food might be easy for the kitten to eat.

If he is younger, he may not be able to potty on his own yet. Take a paper towel or wash cloth (I prefer paper towels) get it wet with luke warm water. Very lightly and gently rub the kittens bottom with it. This is called stimulating and is what Mom cats do until the kitten is older, more detailed instructions can be found here Stimulating Kittens.
If this works you will want to continue stimulating until the kitten starts going on their own.

If the kitten responds to the stimulating then chances are you also need to be bottle feeding and you are dealing with a neonatal kitten. This article should help. https//thecatsite.com/ams/hand-rearing-kittens-what-you-need-to-know-to-save-a-newborns-life.29659/

Whatever else you do please see a vet as soon as possible.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. With any luck its not serious sickness "just"need for resolute care.

With older kittens its common they are shy in the beginning, but it doesnd is so here.
He is too young for such behavior.

You can always smear some water with honey on his lips and gums. Perhaps. Even entice to swallow some.

Its possible the vet will want to inject some fluids into him.

Also tip you on suitable dewormers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natcat278

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. He started scratching on the floor and I showed him where the litter box was so he has now urinated. I have a bowl of mixed food and water and another with kitten milk mixed with water I have tried a small spoon to his mouth he has sniffed and turned away. When I say wobbly, he can walk and is trying to run and is climbing his back feet are just wobbly and he falls quite a bit. The breeder has informed me he is 6 weeks and is probably not eating because of the move but will come round. When I got my first cat I remember him not drinking water for a while, Not sure about this? I will post a picture of him I have no name for him yet he is so cute :)

Attachments

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He doesn't even look 6 weeks, more like 4 1/2-5 to me.
He likely doesn't know how to eat yet, if all he has ever had is mama then he needs to be taught, but meanwhile he must get fluid/nutrition.
If he wasn't pottying 24 hrs ago he surely won't now as he is dehydrated.
He needs to be fed with a syringe at this point, KMR only to start with, then depending on how he does with that he can move on to KMR with pate canned mashed together. You can offer this in a shallow dish at feeding time but until he goes for it on his own, syringing is a must.
Small amts in to his cheek area, wait until he swallows it and takes a breath before adding more in to his cheek. He will fight this pretty good but you are the one who knows best now so it's not up to him, but it does take patience.

Young kits have very little body fluid and with their fast metabolism has depleted what he had hours ago.

Then you will need to deal with him being constipated due to dehydration.
You can give him an enema with a tiny 1.0 ml needle-less syringe, warm oil like mineral or olive oil mixed with a bit of water, just put the very tip in to his little butt and push the oil mix in. He should go within 12 hours after this, if not within 24 then repeat.

Natcat278

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gave him water through syringe, not done toilet today or ate. Tried putting him to milk bowl keeps running away. I have another male cat who’s 3, he’s very laid back but has noticed the wee one and is jealous. Will he come round?

Natcat278

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thank you for all the Ito guys. Just an update on the kitten, all is well he is eating and drinking fine. Think he was in shock. Do any of you have info on kittens and male cats? My big one is upset

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the little one going to the bathroom too?? That is really important because if not you have to stimulate him to go.

Your older cat will come around but he shouldn't be in contact with the baby until the baby is tested for FIV/FeLV and dewormed. Is your older guy neutered and up to date on vaccines?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is the healt status and background of your resident?
If he is ex homeless for example he has prob excellent immunity...
And thus no need to overdo the quarantine.

Some neutered makes are good fosters and caretakes.
His jeaolusness is perhaps being interested and wanna help??

But if he isnt helpsome best to keep them separated.

You must forcefeed the little one if need be.

Natcat278

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thank you again. The little one is going To the toilet fine, had two accidents on th carpet but wasn’t near litter tray so he was upset the big one I rescued him at 9 weeks he is a great cat so laid back and gets on well with dogs and other cats. At first I didn’t think he knew it was a kitten so kept him away as he was so small. Now the wee one is trying to run to him I do hope he eventually cares for him as I got the Wee one as a companion for Tom. He is all up for date on Jags and is neutered have an app for littl one on Tuesday x

Natcat278

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot how much hard work it was looking after a kitten, I have my eye on him constant he is a little bold one!