New Kitten Mommy Questions!!!!

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had been buying the premixed formula for Jonah. Last Friday I bought the powdered kind and he hates it. He still drinks it, but, reluctantly, and not as much. I am kind of worried. He has started slowly eating solid food, but VERY slowly. He climbs out of his box, and being an only kitten-child he seems to always want to be held by me or my husband. And how often should a kitten poop when they start on their own? His bm yesterday was kinda hard, and he hasn't went today. Maybe I am being an over protective mom. I don't have any scales, and he doesn't seem to be losing weight. Oh, one more questions, when kittens teeth do they chew on their nipples more, or is that a sign of something else.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shalia....how old is your little boy now?? He may be preferring the food over the formula now. Does he seem to be straining to get the formula?? Perhaps the hole in the nipple needs to be widened. If he isn't eating much....he may not need to "go" more than once every other day...is he peeing daily??

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually he isn't doing good at all. He ate just a little bit, and acted like he needed to use the bathroom. I put him in his litter box. He didn't do anything, then the strangest thing, he started meowing, but, they were silent meows. And his breathing is real shallow. I called the vet, and couldn't get a hold of him. I am really worried, and I am clueless. I knew when i brought him in, he might not make it, but that was 4 weeks ago, and he was doing so well. I dont know what happened.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaSquishy

Actually he isn't doing good at all. He ate just a little bit, and acted like he needed to use the bathroom. I put him in his litter box. He didn't do anything, then the strangest thing, he started meowing, but, they were silent meows. And his breathing is real shallow. I called the vet, and couldn't get a hold of him. I am really worried, and I am clueless. I knew when i brought him in, he might not make it, but that was 4 weeks ago, and he was doing so well. I dont know what happened.
I would take him into the vet tomorrow...or at least call the vet. Sounds like he needs to be seen. Could he be dehydrated?? It's been awfully warm...have you tried some pedialyte??

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/what_to_feed.html

Katie

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guess is that he is severely constipated from the change in formula. I truly dislike the powdered formulas for this reason. Just about everyone I know of who has switched to them have kittens who get constipated. Have you gotten any of the pre-mixed stuff back in yet to try? If not, I would go and get what you were feeding him and see if he will take any of it.

It is ~never~ a good idea to suddenly switch foods, even formula from pre-mixed to powdered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a sad sad morning, Jonah passed away sometime in the night. I didn't wake me up for his feeding as usual. He was alive at 2:45............My husband gets home from work between 4 and 6, I guess thats why I didn't get woke up...........................

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaSquishy

It is a sad sad morning, Jonah passed away sometime in the night. I didn't wake me up for his feeding as usual. He was alive at 2:45............My husband gets home from work between 4 and 6, I guess thats why I didn't get woke up...........................
I am terribly sorry about Jonah passing..I know this must be so hard for you.

Hugs.

Katie