New Kitten meeting resident cat

Kittymommy21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year old tortie that has been my first cat in my life. 1 week ago i got A 8 week old male kitten. Their introduction at first ended up being too fast. I let them see each other too soon. My older cat was excited and followed him around everywhere the kitten took this as a threat and would hiss at the older cat. This kept occurring my older cat would just follow him no signs of hissing or growling but as soon as the kitten started hissing over and over she started to too. I went Out of town and took my older cat to my boyfriends while the kitten stayed with my parents. 2 days ago i came Back and felt like i rushed The process the first time so i kept The kitten in a room. My older cat would ignore it and occasionally hiss at the door. I later Brought the kitten in a carrier and my older cat still ignored him but was looking at him from a distance. I let The kitten out and my older cat chased him and hissed and would make growling noises. This has been occurring and it makes me scared they will never get a long and i would potentially have to Rehome the kitten. I know it was our fault for rushing the introduction. If anybody has any tips or reassuring stories let me know. My tortie has a huge personality I’m just scared.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
I know it was our fault for rushing the introduction
Maybe not, it may just be these two cats trying to adjust to each other. One thing though, I would be cautious about leaving the 8 week old alone with your other kitty while he's so little - at that age they're a bit fragile and if your older cat plays too rough your new baby could get unintentionally hurt.

Maybe there's something here that might help;
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The lovely thing with cats is that you almost always get a "do-over." Read the article that Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested, and go back and start over! Remember that time and patience are your best friends in this, and that you can't go faster than the most reluctant cat is willing to go. And the advice about not leaving them alone together for awhile is excellent. Your little one will grow like a weed, so this is a temporary thing!