New Kitten Licking My Face Raw...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetsoulsister

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow. I admire your dedication to helping all those foster kittens! I've decided getting him a small stuffed animal is the way to go as I can put it in between my face and his when he is on my chest licking. I might rub it with some catnip and of course pet and praise him when he licks it - and not me. It is difficult to discourage the licking behavior without also discouraging the cuddling behavior ( I can't remove him from my chest when he licks or he will learn not to climb on my chest, which I DO want him to do.) I'll get the stuffy tomorrow or Wed. and we will see how that goes. Like you said, it could take a while to 'transfer' the behavior.

As for training, I'm more interested in getting practical things established at this point than tricks. For instance, I have been teaching him to stay off my desktop as it is impossible to get work done with a cat treading all over your books, LOL. Also, am having some success with a 'Come here' command, using his name and treating when he comes. Think coming to his name will take a while, but that is my focus right now. Would love to see a 'tail whip' though :) Am also teaching him the general word "no". He is now stopping whatever he is doing when I use the word moossstt of the time. Just need some firming up on that one. Once I have the basics down I'll consider some of these great tricks you've suggested!

Thanks again for the feedback!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just throwing this into the mix - try different toys and rub your face on them (give them your smell and skin oils). If you can, set them at night close to your face, and move him toward the toy when he starts to lick you. Might take a few toys to find one that clicks - or might not work at all.

My 2nd cat, Gracie, would come to bed at night and knead my head - BEFORE we declawed her front paws (was going to do that anyway). It really, really hurt. She even did it after being declawed; but, she did eventually stop on her own. (We never found anything to replace my head/hair - lol). She was 6 months old when she 'found' us, and she probably kneaded at least another 6 months or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetsoulsister

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I got the stuffed animal and have had it for a while. He loves to wrestle with it, cuddle with it, but barely licks it. Glad I got it though, surprised how much he likes it. The licking of my face has subsided a bit, he doesn't do it for nearly as long now. I think it naturally is just growing less novel for him... This much I can handle!

Thank-you all for your time, suggestions and stories, they were all really helpful!