New Kitten Jumps On Kitchen Counter And Table

Siberian101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys,

I just got my 4 month old siberian boy yesterday. He spent almost 2 days traveling from Russia to NY. He follows me everywhere and slept with me in my bed last night. He purrs so much whenever I touch him and when he sleeps next to me.

He must be exhausted and stressed out stayed in a cage for so long. The drive from airport to home feels like a million mile (actually only 35 mins drive) when he was meowing and scratching the cage tried to get out. He and I slept only 3-4 hours last night. He is too tired and sleeping on a window sill now.

A few issues.
1) The breeder has been feeding him Royal Canine wet and dry. I put some RC dry food in the bowl and he is not eating it. He only drinks water.

2) I had to stand while having my cereal breakfast this morning. He seems want to have some and he jumps everywhere including kitchen counter and table. How am I going to eat lunch and dinner when food are on the kitchen table? Should I lock him in a room while I'm having lunch and dinner?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten may be hungry. I would feed him the same Royal canine wet food his breeder was and leave dry out for him. He really needs to eat right away so getting him the wet food should be a top priority today.

It is going to take your kitten a few months to learn house rules. When he jumps up while you are eating, tell him no and put him on the floor. Repeat a couple of times and if he doesn’t stay down put him in another room until you are done eating. Be sure not to leave any kind of food on the counter.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's some tips but keep in mind that kittens have no manners so it'll take a lot patience to teach a kitten to say off the counters:

How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables

Putting the kitten into a room while you eat your meals is a good idea. You may need ear plugs or music playing or the tv on to kind of drown out the constant meowing the kitten may make. Don't feel guilty about putting the kitten into a room. Kittens get over it quickly.

Kittens are little eating machines and should be given free access to food. They won't get fat so don't worry :) Offer various brands of kitten food right now, anything to get food into your kitten's tummy. Fancy Feast canned kitten is fine and many kittens like that. Just drinking water isn't good. He's likely still stressed out from the long trip so let him adjust to his new home at his own pace. Schedule a vet appointment for the kitten. You'll need it in case the kitten continues to not eat. The appointment can always be cancelled.

More on teaching cats good behavior:

Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Siberian101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten may be hungry. I would feed him the same Royal canine wet food his breeder was and leave dry out for him. He really needs to eat right away so getting him the wet food should be a top priority today.

It is going to take your kitten a few months to learn house rules. When he jumps up while you are eating, tell him no and put him on the floor. Repeat a couple of times and if he doesn’t stay down put him in another room until you are done eating. Be sure not to leave any kind of food on the counter.
Thanks Susan. I will give a try. I did try to give him RC wet food which it is what breeder feeds him. I think he is just stressed out from the traveling and separation from his old family and his siblings. He was in that cage since Saturday 6/29 until I picked him up yesterday 7/1 at 11 PM. Poor kitten. The experience getting him out of cargo and custom were not good for me either. I wonder whether purchasing a live animal oversea is a good idea. I probably will not do this again.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If he won’t eat the Royal Canine pick up a jar of pure chicken or turkey meat baby food and some goat milk, lactose free milk or Kitten replacement milk and thin the baby food down to a liquidy paste. Most cats and kittens love lapping this up.

Siberian101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's some tips but keep in mind that kittens have no manners so it'll take a lot patience to teach a kitten to say off the counters:

How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables

Putting the kitten into a room while you eat your meals is a good idea. You may need ear plugs or music playing or the tv on to kind of drown out the constant meowing the kitten may make. Don't feel guilty about putting the kitten into a room. Kittens get over it quickly.

Kittens are little eating machines and should be given free access to food. They won't get fat so don't worry :) Offer various brands of kitten food right now, anything to get food into your kitten's tummy. Fancy Feast canned kitten is fine and many kittens like that. Just drinking water isn't good. He's likely still stressed out from the long trip so let him adjust to his new home at his own pace. Schedule a vet appointment for the kitten. You'll need it in case the kitten continues to not eat. The appointment can always be cancelled.

More on teaching cats good behavior:

Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat
Thanks! He is definitely stressed and exhausted. He is taking a short nap every 30 mins. I tried the kitten RC wet and dry, no luck yet. Can I take a bath for him tonight? He smells like urine. I don't have any cat bath shampoo. Can I use dish wash detergent or baby shower gel?

Siberian101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he won’t eat the Royal Canine pick up a jar of pure chicken or turkey meat baby food and some goat milk, lactose free milk or Kitten replacement milk and thin the baby food down to a liquidy paste. Most cats and kittens love lapping this up.
I have raw chicken meat with organ saved in the freezer for about 5 days now. Can I defrost it and feed it to him?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the raw meat hasn't been enhanced with flavorings, broth, etc (and some supermarket meats are), it's ok to give to the kitten. But let your kitten settle in and start eating normally again. Too many changes can cause an upset tummy.

Unscented baby wipes can be used. A bath might just add stress to the kitten.

Siberian101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Use unscented baby wipes is a great idea. Thanks!

I agree not to introduce too much changes for now. I will hold off feeding him raw chicken meat.