New Kitten Intro

TheMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Almost 2 weeks ago, I got a 3-month-old kitten. She is exceptionally small because she was the runt but is now growing much better. She was a bottle baby so she’s very loving.

I’ve been doing a slow introduction with the other three cats. 2 of them get along great and groom each other. They both came from situations where they’d lived around other cats. However, the largest cat came from a shelter and even though she had an extra slow introduction with the other two, she still occasionally attacks them (not playing!). They’re big enough to take care of themselves but it still disturbs me and worries me to an extent. However, I also see them sleeping near each other at times (never right next to but close enough to know the more submissive two must not be deathly afraid of the territorial one).

Those two are already great with the kitten.The female hissed once or twice at the beginning but has mostly been curious and I can safely let the kitten be around those two. But the territorial one still acts like the kitten is the spawn of Satan. She makes the most terrifying noises toward her even after almost two weeks of very slow introductions. I also have a large crate for the kitten for right now and leave my door open so they can all come in and safely smell her. But even like that, my territorial cat almost never comes into the room and when she did, it was more of the low growls, hissing, and she never even got close to the crate.

I’m prepared to stretch the introduction to maybe a month or so purely because of my territorial cat, but I don’t know what to do if even after all the time she is still acting the same. Any advice? When is it safe to leave them alone together?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are hardwired to not hurt kittens. So don't let the kitten get too big. Growls, hisses, and swats are all normal. Hopefully, your growly female would mostly leave the kitten alone, but you would definitely have to supervise to make sure she won't hurt the kitten. Introductions take months, not weeks, with some cats. I wouldn't leave them alone until you are absolutely sure she won't hurt that kitten. A crate is a good idea, she could see the kitten and get used to its movements. Some females are awfully territorial, but mostly bluster and loud noises, let's hope she is one of them. 2 weeks is not long enough to let them alone, I would say more like 4-6 and you'll just have to see. I had one group in my life that took a year before they all got along, but that is the exception.....Remember, it WILL happen, it just takes longer than we like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I know it’s going to be a long process with my territorial one... she took many months to tolerate my two friendly cats. Hopefully it will help that my kitten is so small! I’ll just stick with it and hope for them best. Thanks!