New Kitten Hiding. Normal?

CatManInKC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adopted a nine month old female today--Rikki. Already have a 12 year-old female--Sadie. Rikki is in the basement now, but has been hiding since I brought her down here. Sadie is in the upstairs part of the house. Rikki hasn't been out of hiding at all. Should I be worried? Is this normal behavior?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the adoption of Rikki. :catlove:

It's not unusual for a cat/kitten to hide when it first comes home.

Here's a recent thread with various replies to the question: What Was Your Cat's Behavior Like In The First Day?

Please post a pic of Rikki, when you can. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Also here's some TCS articles that may be helpful.

Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
The Multi-cat Household

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatManInKC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Lots of great info. I'll take a photo of her as soon as she comes out of hiding :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some new cats will hide a while. make sure she has a safe spot. that there is food, water and a litter box close by. Normally they will come out and eat, potty when no one else is around, maybe for a few days. And if you can spend quiet time in the area, maybe put out some treats that will help. I wound not worry, unless its been a few days and she has not come out to eat.

Hopefully she has come out today? Looking forward to the photos :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I think of any cat as 5 months or more as a teen or adult. So yes most young kittens are pretty bold. However for an adult/teen 9 month old cat to need time to adjust to their new home is normal. Give her time :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatManInKC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the comments. She's more comfortable coming out to say hello today than yesterday--getting very friendly--I think she's absolutely fine. She'll make a wonderful addition to the family.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the comments. She's more comfortable coming out to say hello today than yesterday--getting very friendly--I think she's absolutely fine. She'll make a wonderful addition to the family.
Baby kittens hide really good but their nosiness eventually takes over.
In 48 hours you won't be able to pry her off your lap :biggrin:
Congrats on the new addition!!!

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Baby kittens take a while sometimes to come out of hiding it's nothing to worry about, I've always had two kittens together but there's always a bolder one, as long as they know where there food is and litter box is nearby although not next to food n water. I used to lie on the floor not far from where mine were hiding and speak very gentle to him/ her have soft music playing having a calm house helped. But eventually he/she will come out you will see a foot appear or little face. Normally don't hide for long good luck