New Kitten Hiding And Not Eating

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just yesterday we went to pick up our new Siberian kitten from the breeder. He’s 13 weeks old and he seems very sweet. This is our first cat so the breeder said that she looked for one with friendly, calm attitude. He came with a care package and the breeder told us that he might be hiding and not eating the first two days. As soon as he got home, he went under the bed. He’s been crying and whimpering at night. I’ve been offering him food following the schedule that the breeder recommended but he hasn’t ate. However, this morning I saw that he went in his litter box. I’ve been sitting quietly in the room and working on my laptop. I’ll sometimes talk softly to him or myself. From time to time I hear him cry. Is there anything I can do to make him feel better?

I have a box under the bed so I can’t see him, I think he’s behind the box. But I’ve been putting his food under the bed and then picking it up 30 mins later. I’m offering every 4 hours (which was his previous eating schedule). At night I leave some treats and wet food which he hasn’t ate. I’ve also been dangling interactive toys under/near the bed, I’m not sure if he can see them from where he is because I’m not sure what part of the bed he’s behind.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And congrats on the adoption of your new kitten. Sorry he's hiding. That's actually not unusual. Hopefully he'll get braver and venture out to explore soon.

TCS has several articles on the topic of new cats which may be helpful. Here are the links:

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

What Was Your Cat's Behavior Like In The First Day? (this is a recent thread, but will show the many different "first days" for cats)

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yesterday he finally came out and he’s been playing and cuddling since. I found him and started playing with an interactive toy, it took him a while but he finally came out and played. He’s been following me ever since.