New Kitten... Help!

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I recently adopted a kitten of about 9 weeks old and he has been the sweetest ever. However, I noticed that he doesn’t cover his poop and it is orange; he poops around 3-4 times a day. I did some research and people said that it could be his food. I have been feeding him Purina kitten chow, but I read that grain-free kitten food is better. Do you guys have any recommendations?

He has been dewormed already by his owner, so I don’t think parasites are an issue. I tried putting him in the litter box after he was done pooping and grabbing his front paws to show him how to cover, but it is not doing much. Maybe it’s the type of litter... I am using Fresh Step. Any recommendations on litter as well and how to train him to cover?

TIA!

Attachments

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try "Cat Attract" litter. But some cats never cover their poop. Regardless of age. So long as he is using the litter box, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might try "Cat Attract" litter. But some cats never cover their poop. Regardless of age. So long as he is using the litter box, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you for your input! He has been using the litter box and hasn’t made any accidents outside of it, but not covering his poop is making the house stink up a little so I’m thinking that the culprit is the Purina chow...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In my experience the orange is the food. My girl came to me being fed Meow Mix and her poop was bright orange. As soon as I got her on a grain free food it became normal healthy looking. A grain free food is ideal because cats are obligated carnivores. Which means that they are biologically required to eat a high level of animal protein as their diet. Which depends on your specific budget and regional availability. I personally feed Nature's Variety but there are several different good options out there. You want to look for something that is labeled grain free but also read ingredients to find something with named meat in the first five.

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience the orange is the food. My girl came to me being fed Meow Mix and her poop was bright orange. As soon as I got her on a grain free food it became normal healthy looking. A grain free food is ideal because cats are obligated carnivores. Which means that they are biologically required to eat a high level of animal protein as their diet. Which depends on your specific budget and regional availability. I personally feed Nature's Variety but there are several different good options out there. You want to look for something that is labeled grain free but also read ingredients to find something with named meat in the first five.
Yup, the Purina chow is the problem. I was looking at reviews that a lot of people recommended Orijen, but the price is a little out of my budget. I’m thinking of getting Blue Wilderness grain free or the brand you recommended. Thank you!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My only problem with Blue is the higher fat content over a log period of time. I am good on it for a kitten but I personally think it is too rich for an adults main diet. That's just personal opinion though and one of the reasons I went with Nature's Variety instead.

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My only problem with Blue is the higher fat content over a log period of time. I am good on it for a kitten but I personally think it is too rich for an adults main diet. That's just personal opinion though and one of the reasons I went with Nature's Variety instead.
Thank you! I will buy that one today.

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, he did cover his poop the first day he came home, but after that he has not done so. I noticed that he was pawing at the litter for quite a bit. That’s why I think that it’s the litter’s type that’s attributing to his behavior.

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: he just had diarrhea... should I stop feeding him food and just give him water?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd continue to feed him. It could be any number of things causing diarrhea but it is better to keep feeding a kitten. It could just be a one off occurrence. When you get the new food be sure to do a slow switch between the new and old to prevent problems.

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd continue to feed him. It could be any number of things causing diarrhea but it is better to keep feeding a kitten. It could just be a one off occurrence. When you get the new food be sure to do a slow switch between the new and old to prevent problems.
Okay, will do. How do I introduce new food slowly? I was thinking of mixing the Purina chow and the grain free food, but I think the Purina chow is causing him to have an upset stomach.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Best is slow, but if you think the purina is the problem then just do a switch over 5 days. First day 4 part old, 1 part new. Then 3 old and 2 new. Then 2 old... And so on until it is all new.

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Best is slow, but if you think the purina is the problem then just do a switch over 5 days. First day 4 part old, 1 part new. Then 3 old and 2 new. Then 2 old... And so on until it is all new.
Okay, I will do that and keep you updated. Thank you!