New Kitten Help (existing Cat)

Gemmaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all,
Yesterday my mum and I picked up a Siamese kitten (16 weeks) we also have an existing Siamese kitten (9months).

We were planning on getting new kitten home and putting him in my bedroom ( warm, small room) however on the 3 hour drive home my car broke down, my brother came to collect my mum and kitten to take them home and I waited for the RAC to come and tow me. My brother arrived with his wife and newborn baby and everything was fine.

Obviously I didn't witness what happened when they all got back to my house- but it ended up with my sister in law dragged the new kitten straight out of his "safe" cat carrier place for a cuddle to which he promptly jumped out of her hands and ran behind the cooker, my mum didn't realise this as she was trying to get the existing kitten (teddy) in another room whilst holding a screaming baby.

This is not what we had planned and I was pretty angry about it all.
The kitten is currently somewhere behind the kitchen cupboards we have heard him miaow a few times, we have moved all of teddys food litter and water out of the room and put all of the new kittens things down. He did come out last night (I heard him scuttle back first thing this morning) but he hasn't eaten, drank or used litter box.
Should we leave him to it? Or should be try and get him from behind the cupboards and back into his cat box to take him into my bedroom?

Teddy is currently just hissing at the kittens blanket.

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You (or more accurately your family) are far from the only ones to have screwed up the homecoming process. Back in the day, I had 2 kittens hiding under a bed, and they actually found a way to crawl inside the bed through a rip in the box spring, and many here have had similar experiences. Anyway, if you can keep your kitchen *empty* for a time, and sit still as a statute eventually kitten will likely come out and eat, while you sit several feet away and do nothing at first. It may take several hours, but hopefully you can build the trust to grab the kitten -- after first blocking access behind the cooker. Then set up his home base in a bathroom or other suitable small room without places to hide, and you can go about the process properly. Worst case, if the above doesn't work, keep your other cat in a different room at night, and the kitten will come out to eat and drink, and should get bolder over the next few days.

As I mentioned, this is far from unique and all should be well in time. It would obviously be a lot easier if it wasn't your kitchen, and perhaps you'll need to stay up a bit late or wake up early to make progress, but you'll find a way. Keep us posted.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it is fairly critical that this kitten does actually eat and drink, place his food and water very close to the cabinets where he is hiding and feels safe. You can move them away a bit at a time until he's out and about.

As A ArtNJ said, you are far from the first person to have a homecoming go awry, and you won't be the last, either! Don't beat yourself (or your family) up too much over this. You'll get your new baby out and safe, and all will be well.