New Kitten Hasn't Gone To Bathroom In Almost 24 Hours

Kenzierussell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So another question, I took in this sweet 10 week old kitten named Gracie yesterday at 5pm. Super sweet, runt of the litter. Was infested with fleas and pretty skinny. Gave her a flea bath when she came home and used prescription flea medicine on her, I don't see any fleas or flea dirt on her now. I don't think she has flea anemia, she's not listless, her gums are pink, and she can be playful. A bit on the skinny side but that can be fixed. Also using deworming medicine on her, the lady I got her from did nothing for the kittens in that regard. Feeding her wet kitten food and shredded meat to put some chunk on her bones.

We have two litter boxes, one upstairs, one downstairs. I have placed her in both and she isn't a huge fan. She ate a LOT yesterday. Right now it is almost noon, I figured she would have gone to the bathroom by now. The lady I got her from said her and all of her siblings are litter trained. She has litter boxes on both floors, food and water on both floors, cat trees and scratching posts on both floors, and hiding boxes on both floors.

She will be going to the vet later this week anyway for vaccines and to get spayed, I just want to know if I should be worried she hasn't gone to the bathroom yet (that I know of.. I don't smell anything and haven't seen anything), or if not, when I should be worried. I tried lightly rubbing a warm damp washcloth on her areas but still nothing. She probably is still getting used to her new home, she is like cling wrap; always needs to be directly on you.

She doesn't seem to be in discomfort or pain, just wants to snuggle with her new people.

Thank you!

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thanks so much for joining the forum, please feel free to check out some of the articles and peruse the threads which are chockfull of information. Regarding Gracie not using the litter box, I would encourage you to keep her in a small room such as a bathroom with her litter box for a day or two then gradually move on to a bigger room with supervision in the house. Go in there regularly to comfort and pet her and obviously check to see if she used the box. Then perhaps put her back in the bathroom or smaller room when you are not home. I've always done this when bringing home a new kitty. If she has still not used the litter box i would be concerned and put a call into your vet. Best of luck, she looks absolutely adorable! :hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kenzierussell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thanks so much for joining the forum, please feel free to check out some of the articles and peruse the threads which are chockfull of information. Regarding Gracie not using the litter box, I would encourage you to keep her in a small room such as a bathroom with her litter box for a day or two then gradually move on to a bigger room with supervision in the house. Go in there regularly to comfort and pet her and obviously check to see if she used the box. Then perhaps put her back in the bathroom or smaller room when you are not home. I've always done this when bringing home a new kitty. If she has still not used the litter box i would be concerned and put a call into your vet. Best of luck, she looks absolutely adorable! :hearthrob:
Thank you! She cries and cries and cries when I shut her in her room or the bathroom and I don't want to stress her out. :(

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she using, or is meant to use, the litter boxes you've also been providing for your also-new cat Buster? If so, do you think any of the urine in those boxes since you've brought Gracie home could also be hers?

Have you tried a smaller, kitten sized litter box, maybe at first for only her use, until she gets used to Buster's smells, etc.? Maybe she'll use the current boxes as she gets used to Buster.

I think she would be better off if she has peed by now, so you really need to know for sure if she has. Can you email or call the vet on call to see if they have advice for you?

Last edited:

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she did pee or poop somewhere in your home, it could be hard to find or smell. Follow her like a hawk :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kenzierussell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she using, or is meant to use, the litter boxes you've also been providing for your also-new cat Buster? If so, do you think any of the urine in those boxes since you've brought Gracie home could also be hers?

Have you tried a smaller, kitten sized litter box, maybe at first for only her use, until she gets used to Buster's smells, etc.? Maybe she'll use the current boxes as she gets used to Buster.

I think she would be better off if she has peed by now, so you really need to know for sure if she has. Can you email or call the vet on call to see if they have advice for you?
We have a big enclosed litter box downstairs that Buster uses, I have sat her in it several times and she just darts right back out. It is tall though. She is little so I got her more of a 'pan' type litter box without a cover for upstairs that she can easily get in and out of. No waste in the upstairs litter box. I haven't seen her go in the litter boxes yet.. But I also don't watch her every second of the day lol!

My vet said as long as she doesn't seem like she is uncomfortable or in pain, as long as she is eating and playing, she is probably okay.