New Kitten hardly drinking =(

a(tm)?romeokittena(tm)?

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Monday my BF purchased me a kitten, we decided to name him Romeo and I quickly fell in love with him.

Tuesday the following day we take him to our vets at Banfield, and he comes back with one virus which is now being treated with medicine. Other than that he was healthy.

Now Monday he drank a little water, I didn't see how much but he did drink some. Today however he hasn't drank any to my knowledge but he seems to be hyper, he's playing with our ferret and his toys, he's active. He ate a little, he's used the restroom.

I'm mainly concerned about him not drinking any water, my BF thinks it is because he is still getting used to the house (though he seems to be adjusted to it and still getting used to us. He wouldn't let us really touch him until today, and found out he is a completely sweetheart.

Just wondering if my BF and right and it is due to him just getting adjusted, since the vet only found one virus Coccinia I think is the spelling, I would have to get out his papers to see. But it is currently being treated with medication they provided us with.

I worry about him greatly because I am in love with this little kitten now and will do anything to help him!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First I'd like to say welcome to our site!

Congratulations on the addition of Romeo

I'm also a worry wort when it comes to my fur babies, so I understand your concern.

Perhaps offering water bowls in different areas of the house or a kitty water fountain would promote more drinking?.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a(tm)?romeokittena(tm)?

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you=). I will try this. Today when we go back to petsmart to get him a few more toys I'll look for a little fountain for him.

♥♥

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome and congratulations on the new kitten.

Have you had a cat before? I'm wondering because most cats drink little. This happens even less if they eat canned food. I have 5 cats and days go by and I don't see any of them drink, even with 5 water bowls.

Canned food is a good idea because moisture from food is the natural way for cats to get moisture. I mix a little warm water in my cats' canned food. They prefer it that way now.

I've heard that fountains are effective at getting cats to drink more. However good ones can be pricey. A stainless or ceramic bowl is best (stay away from any plastic pet bowls as they can harbor germs), and I think you have to buy filters.

Robin

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, what bastetservant said.

It's not uncommon for cats to drink little water. The water fountain is a good idea, if its affordable for you.

I too feed mainly wet food and add a bit of water to it. That way I know they are getting plenty of moisture.

Welcome to TCS and enjoy your new furbaby!

han_bee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there
I had the same trouble with my youngest kitten, Paisley. She didn't seem at all interested in water and when she went near the bowl she put her whole nose into it rather than drinking from it, as if she couldn't see it.

To steer her away from problems with drinking, we put down a bowl of kitten milk. She managed to see it and drink it fine without any problems for the week it took for her to settle in. And once she had settled, we put a bowl of water where we had been putting the milk and we haven't had any problems since

Hope this helps a little, and good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a(tm)?romeokittena(tm)?

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had cats and Kittens before. And I noticed them drinking more, but we fed them dry food instead of wet.

http://imageshack.us/f/844/img20110608204600.jpg/ is a picture of him. He's been doing fine, we bought him a little cat tower (it's actually taller than I am) and a fountain.

We feed him Royal Canin kitten food right now but we want to switch him to Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet, but we aren't sure if it's meant for kittens as well or not =/

Anyway thanks for the help =D! Romeo, my BF and I really appreciate it =)