New Kitten half Bengal personality?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that this lady thinks her female cat is half Persian because one of her parents is longhaired. Some people do not know any better and assume that all cats are some kind of breed... so if the mother has a longhaired parent and a shorthaired parent, this lady might think the mom's parents are "Persian" and "British Shorthair" when they are not really any breed?

As far as the dad, it's possible that this lady might have tried to breed her cat to her friend's Bengal cat... but unbeknownst to her, the cat already had a red tabby boyfriend in the neighborhood that is actually the dad of these kittens...

But it also seems to be quite common that people will grab a picture of a Bengal from somewhere on the internet and claim it is the father of their cat's kittens. People do this because buyers will pay more for "half Bengal" kittens than they will for regular tabby kittens.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good news, I can't find another copy of the father in a reverse image search. Doesn't really mean much other then she didn't grab some generic stock image. But I'd agree with everyone else that it is highly unlikely that the image is of the father, or that the owner thinks it is the father but it really isn't. As for the mother, yeah if it is similar to that photo you sent being Persian (even half) is unlikely. Near true Persians have a specific look to them that can't be randomly replicated in the general cat population without human interference. Some people play up the kitten lineage for money (increase selling price) and others just don't know any better. It could be completely innocent and it could be a scam. I've talked to people who list their cat as breeds they clearly aren't and more than 75% of the time the person honestly doesn't realize their cat isn't the named breed. They were either told the parents were a named breed when they got them or they did a google image search off a picture of their cat and took that for gospel.

I'd ask for another photo of dad and a photo of mom. Dad because if it is her cat she should have more photos which would tell you that the person probably honestly thinks that is Dad. Mom to get a better idea of what Mom really is. The other kittens could lead us closer to who Dad really is based on what color combos they are.

But if you honestly don't care about breed it comes down to price. How much does the person want for the kitten? Are they including shots and spay/neuter if the price is high? Is the person willing to lower the price if it is high if you provide vet references or updates on the kitten to prove good care (since sometimes high price could be to ensure the kittens go to homes that can provide for them, I've had someone who gave me a parakeet they advertised for $30 for free when I sent them photos of where the bird would be living). Or will they lower the price if you point out you have to get shots/altering done at your cost if they don't include it?

If they are doing a high price off breed that could be an indicator that they are backyard breeding for profit in which case I would avoid because you can end up with sickly kittens if you buy from a backyard breeder (not to mention encouraging the continuation of the practice). If they are just ignorant and you believe it truly was an opps breeding, there isn't harm in getting the kitten knowing you are getting a moggy (cat version of a mutt, or general domestic cat).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anna C

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news, I can't find another copy of the father in a reverse image search. Doesn't really mean much other then she didn't grab some generic stock image. But I'd agree with everyone else that it is highly unlikely that the image is of the father, or that the owner thinks it is the father but it really isn't. As for the mother, yeah if it is similar to that photo you sent being Persian (even half) is unlikely. Near true Persians have a specific look to them that can't be randomly replicated in the general cat population without human interference. Some people play up the kitten lineage for money (increase selling price) and others just don't know any better. It could be completely innocent and it could be a scam. I've talked to people who list their cat as breeds they clearly aren't and more than 75% of the time the person honestly doesn't realize their cat isn't the named breed. They were either told the parents were a named breed when they got them or they did a google image search off a picture of their cat and took that for gospel.

I'd ask for another photo of dad and a photo of mom. Dad because if it is her cat she should have more photos which would tell you that the person probably honestly thinks that is Dad. Mom to get a better idea of what Mom really is. The other kittens could lead us closer to who Dad really is based on what color combos they are.

But if you honestly don't care about breed it comes down to price. How much does the person want for the kitten? Are they including shots and spay/neuter if the price is high? Is the person willing to lower the price if it is high if you provide vet references or updates on the kitten to prove good care (since sometimes high price could be to ensure the kittens go to homes that can provide for them, I've had someone who gave me a parakeet they advertised for $30 for free when I sent them photos of where the bird would be living). Or will they lower the price if you point out you have to get shots/altering done at your cost if they don't include it?

If they are doing a high price off breed that could be an indicator that they are backyard breeding for profit in which case I would avoid because you can end up with sickly kittens if you buy from a backyard breeder (not to mention encouraging the continuation of the practice). If they are just ignorant and you believe it truly was an opps breeding, there isn't harm in getting the kitten knowing you are getting a moggy (cat version of a mutt, or general domestic cat).
Hi guys...thank you again for all the advice! This is all new to me, so I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help/inform me.

I have some more photos now of the Mum (who is supposed to be half Persian), and Rumi and his siblings (the kitten I want I named Rumi). The lady said she only had one photo of the Dad (the only I already posted), and that he's from a breeder of Bengal studs. I didn't care about breed initially, I just googled kittens in my area as my local rescue centres only have outdoor cats.

So I saw Rumi advertised and went to see him. The lady wants £600 for him (I live in the UK). Tabby usually get sold for £250. Rumi's been vaccinated, microchipped, and de-wormed (if that's what you call it). I see so many advert with half Bengal mixes. Is this just to attract people? Not trying to rude in anyway, but I didn't realise Bengals were so in demand.

I already really attached to Rumi. He runs in my lap and gives me the slow blink, not like his siblings. Someone came before me and chose all his siblings to take him and just left him, so I really want to take him home with me. But I after my research I can't handle a Bengal. It wouldn't be fair on him, as I have to work from the office 2 days a week and I'm a single lady in a flat. I dunno, but I think a Bengal (even a mix) should be with a family and in a house, with a little safe garden space. You know, never by himself really. Not that I would leave a tabby alone for extended periods, but i think they would adapt to me working away from home better.

So that's the ironic thing...she's saying he's a Bengal to entice me, when I want him to be a tabby! What do guys think on the photos please? You can see the Mum, Rumi and his siblings. The solo shots are of Rumi. I'm hoping you say he's tabby. I don't care if the Mum is not half Persian. That's not what made me have a soft spot for Rumi.

I'm worried that I'm already attached to him, but I know the worst thing would be to make a decision based on emotion.

Anna C

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The photos...Rumi, his Mum and siblings.

Attachments

Anna C

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you see any Bengal In Rumi?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mom isn't a Persian or part Persian by my judgment (nor bristish shorthair, she has none of the features of either), just a longhair domestic black and white. The dad was a tabby, was it the Bengal in the photos? I doubt it. It would be interesting to know if the Mom was sent to the studs house to breed or if the stud came to their house. If Mom went there, I bet they switched studs. If it was at Moms house,, I bet she had a boyfriend before the stud came over. But someone studding out Bengals to non-bengal breeders likely doesn't have actual Bengals to begin with or has very far removed Bengals. That the owner used a stud service is solid backyard breeder status. I am glad they have first vaccines, microchip and de-worming. Although, the cynic in me says to have your vet check for a microchip at a first check up and ensure it's there. If it's not, you likely need to get shots too. If it is there, make sure you get the owner information registered to you.

Granted, the kittens have some nice spotting in places and they are cute. But if they have Bengal, it is diluted.

It sounds like you are very attached to Rumi. The price is high for a kitten with no pedigree because even if Dad is a Bengal it isn't recognized outcrops so you wouldn't be able to claim any pedigree and Mom isn't even worth considering as actual Persian or British shorthair. But if you are willing to pay it, that is something you have to live with knowing the price is inflated based on false information (either knowingly false or unknowingly false).

If your worry is high energy, can you get two kittens? They will be their own playmates. Kittens will adapt to your schedule so chances are Rumi would sleep most of the time you are gone. You can also leash train him and take him outside to work off energy when you get home. High energy kittens and even cats are manageable even if you are working long hours. My boy is high energy and I have toys everywhere to randomly toss, wave or otherwise play with him even when I am not paying much attention. They do mellow after a few years, but say Rumi does inherit some of the Bengal energy, developing a pre work and after work routine with structure to his schedule can really go a long ways in managing it. Also remember that adding cat shelves to your flat, cat trees, bird feeders outside your window and even getting a little robot fish in a bowl are all easy ways to give your cat engagement and stimulation when you aren't there.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This kitten is a torbie (tortoiseshell tabby):

IMG-20210526-WA0003.jpg

Because the mom is black and white, we know that the dad of the torbie kitten must have been a red tabby (or cream tabby) in color. So the Bengal in the picture is definitely not the dad of this kitten.

It's possible that the kittens in the litter could have had different dads, some being sired by the Bengal in the picture and others being sired by a red tabby male in the neighborhood... but it's probably more likely they all have the same dad. In my experience even when two males breed the same female, it's more common that all the kittens are sired by one of the two males. I just had to run paternity testing on a litter of kittens myself, because there were two possible dads (oops!) and they all turned out to have the same dad... this is what most breeders find when they do paternity testing in these cases.

So, I think it's probably most likely that none of these kittens are sired by the Bengal. What I can't tell you is whether the lady is making up a story about the dad in order to sell the kittens for a higher price, or if she actually tried to breed her cat to the Bengal in the picture.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is more his sides that show Bengal markings and most of the photos are front ones. He doesn't look Bengal but he doesn't look pure tabby either. And his hair does look fluffy.
Why are you concern about a Bengal's personality, if I may ask? They are very friendly, affectionate, and supper smart. They can be taught to walk on a leash.
You seem to have really taken to this little guy so you have let your heart be your guide on this one. :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm worried that I'm already attached to him, but I know the worst thing would be to make a decision based on emotion.
I wouldn't worry about him being possibly half Bengal. He is most likely a domestic shorthair tabby without any breed ancestry.

Of course, all cats have their own personalities, and he might end up being a high energy cat regardless of his ancestry. Bengals are not the only cats that are high energy! You should be prepared to meet his needs, whatever they are. Kieka's suggestions are good ones.

The argument for not buying Rumi would be that he is overpriced for what he is (but that might not be an issue for you), and also that buying a kitten from this lady might encourage her to continue to produce and sell more kittens with misleading advertising. If she's planning to spay her female cat after this litter, I wouldn't worry about that.

Anna C

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom isn't a Persian or part Persian by my judgment (nor bristish shorthair, she has none of the features of either), just a longhair domestic black and white. The dad was a tabby, was it the Bengal in the photos? I doubt it. It would be interesting to know if the Mom was sent to the studs house to breed or if the stud came to their house. If Mom went there, I bet they switched studs. If it was at Moms house,, I bet she had a boyfriend before the stud came over. But someone studding out Bengals to non-bengal breeders likely doesn't have actual Bengals to begin with or has very far removed Bengals. That the owner used a stud service is solid backyard breeder status. I am glad they have first vaccines, microchip and de-worming. Although, the cynic in me says to have your vet check for a microchip at a first check up and ensure it's there. If it's not, you likely need to get shots too. If it is there, make sure you get the owner information registered to you.

Granted, the kittens have some nice spotting in places and they are cute. But if they have Bengal, it is diluted.

It sounds like you are very attached to Rumi. The price is high for a kitten with no pedigree because even if Dad is a Bengal it isn't recognized outcrops so you wouldn't be able to claim any pedigree and Mom isn't even worth considering as actual Persian or British shorthair. But if you are willing to pay it, that is something you have to live with knowing the price is inflated based on false information (either knowingly false or unknowingly false).

If your worry is high energy, can you get two kittens? They will be their own playmates. Kittens will adapt to your schedule so chances are Rumi would sleep most of the time you are gone. You can also leash train him and take him outside to work off energy when you get home. High energy kittens and even cats are manageable even if you are working long hours. My boy is high energy and I have toys everywhere to randomly toss, wave or otherwise play with him even when I am not paying much attention. They do mellow after a few years, but say Rumi does inherit some of the Bengal energy, developing a pre work and after work routine with structure to his schedule can really go a long ways in managing it. Also remember that adding cat shelves to your flat, cat trees, bird feeders outside your window and even getting a little robot fish in a bowl are all easy ways to give your cat engagement and stimulation when you aren't there.
Thanks so much for your advice and ideas Kieka. It makes sense, and I didn't realise that he would maybe adapt to my schedule. I think I'd be scared to get two kittens. Plus Rumi's siblings are all going together to another family. I have Rumi's room all ready and I'm kitten proofing the flat. He'll have a scratching post and tree in every room and too many toys. Plus me in the mornings and evenings. And even during the day when I'm working from home. What age do you think I could start taking him for a walk? There are so many dogs in my area so I don't want him to be scared.

When you say back yard breeder, the Mum is two years old and hasn't been neutered. So perhaps this is what the lady does. It was planned as she supposedly had a stud.

Anna C

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it is more his sides that show Bengal markings and most of the photos are front ones. He doesn't look Bengal but he doesn't look pure tabby either. And his hair does look fluffy.
Why are you concern about a Bengal's personality, if I may ask? They are very friendly, affectionate, and supper smart. They can be taught to walk on a leash.
You seem to have really taken to this little guy so you have let your heart be your guide on this one. :)
I suppose that I won't have the time to devote to meeting his Bengal energy, and that a Bengal would be happier in a family rather than with a single person/ Plus when I've done my reading, advice was that Bengal's aren't the best cat for a first time cat Mum.

Yep I've taken to Rumi because all his siblings are going to one family and he'll be on his own. I know what that feels like. I've tried to see other kittens (like Ragdolls and British Shorthairs). They are very cute and beautiful but just not Rumi. I think if I don't get Rumi, and I would have to take a break from looking for a kitten completely and give it some time.

Anna C

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about him being possibly half Bengal. He is most likely a domestic shorthair tabby without any breed ancestry.

Of course, all cats have their own personalities, and he might end up being a high energy cat regardless of his ancestry. Bengals are not the only cats that are high energy! You should be prepared to meet his needs, whatever they are. Kieka's suggestions are good ones.

The argument for not buying Rumi would be that he is overpriced for what he is (but that might not be an issue for you), and also that buying a kitten from this lady might encourage her to continue to produce and sell more kittens with misleading advertising. If she's planning to spay her female cat after this litter, I wouldn't worry about that.
Thanks Lutece. When I asked if the Mum cat was going to have more babies, the lady told me not yet, as it wouldn't be fair on her body. The Mum is two years old.

How come Rumi looks nothing like his Mum though? It just turns out that way sometimes? If the Dad is most likely a ginger tabby, where did Rumi get his markings and colouring from? I'm just curious, as obviously nothing the lady told me was true. But that's no reflection on Rumi though.

I know all kittens will have high energy, but I've read the maybe Ragdolls or British Shorthairs are a little bit more mellow?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How come Rumi looks nothing like his Mum though? It just turns out that way sometimes? If the Dad is most likely a ginger tabby, where did Rumi get his markings and colouring from? I'm just curious, as obviously nothing the lady told me was true. But that's no reflection on Rumi though.
That's just genetics... this litter is the expected result from breeding a black and white mom to a red tabby dad. You expect brown tabby boys and torbie girls, some with white markings and some without white. If the dad carries the recessive gene for solid, you can also see some black kittens or tortie kittens (with or without white), but if he doesn't carry that recessive gene, they will all be tabbies / torbies.

Anna C

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's just genetics... this litter is the expected result from breeding a black and white mom to a red tabby dad. You expect brown tabby boys and torbie girls, some with white markings and some without white. If the dad carries the recessive gene for solid, you can also see some black kittens or tortie kittens (with or without white), but if he doesn't carry that recessive gene, they will all be tabbies / torbies.
Does anyone even know what a half begal kitten would/might look like? I see soooo many advertised in the UK. But they all look like a tabby.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone even know what a half begal kitten would/might look like? I see soooo many advertised in the UK. But they all look like a tabby.
A half Bengal kitten would look like a spotted or classic tabby (generally not a mackerel tabby like Rumi), and would be likely to have other Bengal color traits inherited from its Bengal parent such as rosetted spots or marbled classic pattern, warmer brown color, high contrast pattern, clear background color without ticking, etc.

Although it's possible that some of these people are selling actual half Bengal kittens, most cats that people say are "half Bengal" are tabby domestic shorthairs and don't have Bengal ancestry.

Anna C

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A half Bengal kitten would look like a spotted or classic tabby (generally not a mackerel tabby like Rumi), and would be likely to have other Bengal color traits inherited from its Bengal parent such as rosetted spots or marbled classic pattern, warmer brown color, high contrast pattern, clear background color without ticking, etc.

Although it's possible that some of these people are selling actual half Bengal kittens, most cats that people say are "half Bengal" are tabby domestic shorthairs and don't have Bengal ancestry.
Thanks...your knowledge on this is amazing.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks so much for your advice and ideas Kieka. It makes sense, and I didn't realise that he would maybe adapt to my schedule. I think I'd be scared to get two kittens. Plus Rumi's siblings are all going together to another family. I have Rumi's room all ready and I'm kitten proofing the flat. He'll have a scratching post and tree in every room and too many toys. Plus me in the mornings and evenings. And even during the day when I'm working from home. What age do you think I could start taking him for a walk? There are so many dogs in my area so I don't want him to be scared.

When you say back yard breeder, the Mum is two years old and hasn't been neutered. So perhaps this is what the lady does. It was planned as she supposedly had a stud.
The earlier the better, generally speaking. Here is TCS article about it: Harness And Leash Training For Cats – TheCatSite Articles . And The Basics Archives – Adventure Cats has a lot of informative articles on Adventure Cats (cats comfortable traveling and going out on harnesses).

Another cat wouldn't have to be from Rumi's litter. You could find another kitten in a few days or a few months if you need to. Kittens are fairly adaptable and accepting but it sounds like Rumi might be more human centric which isn't a bad thing. Just keep the option in mind if you do think he needs more interaction then you are able to provide.

Just remember, regardless of if Rumi has Bengal or not, a routine can work wonders with kittens. My boy is very high energy and went rapidly from into everything to collapsed asleep for his first year. We set up a routine of play before work, breakfast, play after work, watch TV/read/whatever, play again, dinner, me do bedtime routines and then bed. Now as a 7 year old cat my boy will yell at me if I don't go to bed on time or am being too loud after he goes to bed for the night. Granted, he gets up and "patrols" at night but he doesn't try to wake me up because he knows when I wake up, he plays then eats breakfast. You are the parent in the relationship so make sure you are also enforcing rules from day 1. Boundaries with your kitten are as important as they are with children. For example, humans are not toys; tooth or claw touching skin ends any play for at least a few seconds (cats and kittens have short memories in relating punishment of being ignored to the action of claw/tooth touching skin so it doesn't have to be a long time out of anything). In my home, cats don't go on table or counter tops, they have their cat trees in places they can watch from or they can go on chairs. But table or counter is immediate lifted off and on the floor with no human reaction. The first year was constant but now he just knows and will only occasionally push the limit. Once a human is under covers, there is no play no matter what the kitten does. Ignore any attempts to do more then get pets or sleep once you are in bed. Start that from day 1 and when Rumi gets older you don't have to worry about attempts to play.

Anna C

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The earlier the better, generally speaking. Here is TCS article about it: Harness And Leash Training For Cats – TheCatSite Articles . And The Basics Archives – Adventure Cats has a lot of informative articles on Adventure Cats (cats comfortable traveling and going out on harnesses).

Another cat wouldn't have to be from Rumi's litter. You could find another kitten in a few days or a few months if you need to. Kittens are fairly adaptable and accepting but it sounds like Rumi might be more human centric which isn't a bad thing. Just keep the option in mind if you do think he needs more interaction then you are able to provide.

Just remember, regardless of if Rumi has Bengal or not, a routine can work wonders with kittens. My boy is very high energy and went rapidly from into everything to collapsed asleep for his first year. We set up a routine of play before work, breakfast, play after work, watch TV/read/whatever, play again, dinner, me do bedtime routines and then bed. Now as a 7 year old cat my boy will yell at me if I don't go to bed on time or am being too loud after he goes to bed for the night. Granted, he gets up and "patrols" at night but he doesn't try to wake me up because he knows when I wake up, he plays then eats breakfast. You are the parent in the relationship so make sure you are also enforcing rules from day 1. Boundaries with your kitten are as important as they are with children. For example, humans are not toys; tooth or claw touching skin ends any play for at least a few seconds (cats and kittens have short memories in relating punishment of being ignored to the action of claw/tooth touching skin so it doesn't have to be a long time out of anything). In my home, cats don't go on table or counter tops, they have their cat trees in places they can watch from or they can go on chairs. But table or counter is immediate lifted off and on the floor with no human reaction. The first year was constant but now he just knows and will only occasionally push the limit. Once a human is under covers, there is no play no matter what the kitten does. Ignore any attempts to do more then get pets or sleep once you are in bed. Start that from day 1 and when Rumi gets older you don't have to worry about attempts to play.
Thanks so much for the advice Kieka! I appreciate it. It's my first time being a "parent". I'm definitely going to use your routine of "play before work, breakfast, play after work...".

Is your boy ok when you go on holiday? Also when did he stop having his claws out when walking on you? Rumi does this, just to balance I think. Also, I'm a bit worried about things like ornaments on my book shelf that he might knock over when left alone.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the advice Kieka! I appreciate it. It's my first time being a "parent". I'm definitely going to use your routine of "play before work, breakfast, play after work...".

Is your boy ok when you go on holiday? Also when did he stop having his claws out when walking on you? Rumi does this, just to balance I think. Also, I'm a bit worried about things like ornaments on my book shelf that he might knock over when left alone.

Might be time to kitten-proof that room. :) I have a little statue of Bast that I got from Egypt and she is the first one that went into a drawer when I got a kitten. She is made of some kind of stone and I once found her on the floor with the tip of her ear chipped off,:angryfire: so into the drawer she went.

Anna C

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Might be time to kitten-proof that room. :) I have a little statue of Bast that I got from Egypt and she is the first one that went into a drawer when I got a kitten. She is made of some kind of stone and I once found her on the floor with the tip of her ear chipped off,:angryfire: so into the drawer she went.
Thanks...this is the bookcase in question I'm worried about....and I have things like vases with flowers (fake ones) all around..I got some quake hold so hopefully that does the trick.

Attachments