New Kitten Growling At Meal Time. Pouncing On Resident Cat Constantly.

lisa1706

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I recently adopted a 3 month old kitten from a foster home that he shared with 6 other cats, 3 of which were adults. This kitten was found out in the cold alone when he was 4 weeks old. When I first brought him home 2 weeks ago he ate like he was starving.

I also have a 4 year old resident cat that I adopted 2 years ago. She is very gentle and a bit shy. I believe she was abused. She is afraid of pots and pans rattling and does not like me in the kitchen when she eats most of the time. This kitten growls at resident cat. She then looks nervous and backs away from the bowl then leaves the kitchen. Kitten also constantly jumps on her head and bites her tail. She does not like this. They play fight and chase each other; finally after a week of resident kitty hissing and growling and I thought establishing her territory.

Kitten also harasses me while I'm eating and tries to take my food by constantly pawing at me. I normally just take him off couch where I eat and sit him on the floor and say "no." It works for about five minutes.

I guess my question is how long do you think it will be before kitten realizes he does not have to gulp down his food or growl to protect his food? I have no way to separate them unless I put one in the bathroom which is not feasible in the morning as I leave for work. Resident cat seems to think she has to wait for kitten to finish then she goes to eat. I wish he would not disturb resident cat so much. Should I just give it more time? I feel bad that I have disturbed resident cat's routine and quiet home. I think they are bonding and she might enjoy the company while I am gone most days. Sometimes she initiates the play. Sometimes she walks away in apparent irritation. Can I stop kitten from jumping on resident or should I let them work that out? She does let him know who's boss but he keeps coming almost non-stop. We do have plenty of toys and two cat trees.

So many things I did not consider when adopting a kitten. Its been 20 years since I had a kitten and I have never introduced one to a resident cat. Its been pretty stressful for myself and resident cat. Kitten is unbothered by anything! Maybe I am again worrying for nothing. Thoughts or advice appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Adult cats put up with a lot from babies. You said she initiates play so it doesn't sound like she needs you to intervene in that area. 3 months is still very young and I'm sure she will start teaching him as soon as she thinks he's ready.

I had one old guy that would've let the kitten eat all his food while licking it's head. Make sure your girl is getting enough to eat. I usually fed the kitten in the carrier, then at the other end of the room, and eventually next to each other. I can't remember how long each step took.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa1706

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adult cats put up with a lot from babies. You said she initiates play so it doesn't sound like she needs you to intervene in that area. 3 months is still very young and I'm sure she will start teaching him as soon as she thinks he's ready.

I had one old guy that would've let the kitten eat all his food while licking it's head. Make sure your girl is getting enough to eat. I usually fed the kitten in the carrier, then at the other end of the room, and eventually next to each other. I can't remember how long each step took.
Maybe I should start feeding kitten in the carrier. I tried putting kitten in the bathroom so resident could eat in peace. Instead of eating, resident sits by the bathroom door as if she is wondering why he is in the bathroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa1706

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you may be right! At first I thought resident cat was not going to adjust. Foster mom wants baby for herself and was willing to take him back but I would feel too guilty to return him. He has gotten comfortable here and I know he gets enough to eat.