New Kitten Gave Resident Cat A Uri For Christmas

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We adopted a 6 month old kitten from a co-worker who became extremely allergic to her cats and had to find them new homes. I've been extremely lucky in introducing Stevie to my resident cat Gizmo, as it's only been a week and they're happily playing and observing each other under my supervision. Unfortunately, that means I was unable to keep them separated enough to stop the sneezing/congestion symptoms that Stevie had from passing onto Gizmo.

Stevie is on the mend and getting better but Gizmo has just started to come down with sneezing and congestion of his own with quite a bit of mouth breathing. Luckily he's still eating and is well hydrated so a vet visit isn't necessarily needed as, from what I understand, URIs are usually viral instead of bacterial so an antibiotic would be pointless. There's been no discharge from either cat, just sneezing and congestion.

My question is, since Stevie is getting better can she catch the URI again from Gizmo and I'll have some back and forth URIs going on in a never-ending frustrating loop? Currently, Stevie has the run of the downstairs while Giz is upstairs but I do let him down for a little bit of playtime to keep his spirits up. Should I stop that and completely separate them from interacting at all until Gizmo's symptoms go away? I'd hate for them to keep catching this from each other.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think Stevie could catch it back because URIs are actually supposed to remain in the system for years/lifelong. So Stevie probably still actually has it in his system but may not ever show any symptoms again except maybe in times of stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t think Stevie could catch it back because URIs are actually supposed to remain in the system for years/lifelong. So Stevie probably still actually has it in his system but may not ever show any symptoms again except maybe in times of stress.
Thanks! I was thinking that, too. When I first adopted Giz, the vet thought he may have feline herpesvirus which I know is the same way where it could just lay dormant in the body until something triggers it. I figured that may be the same for Stevie.