New Kitten Freaking Out

PsychoKitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a kitty, and I live in a studio apartment, so the only choice I've had is to lock her in the bathroom with her stuff while my other cat is out in the rest of the apartment. They both can see/smell each other under the door, and they seem to be friendly towards each other and even playful. Do you think it's safe to let the new kitty out? She's kind of freaking out alone in the bathroom (my girlfriend and I are taking turns going in there and petting her, but we're thinking it may be better just to let them meet). Thoughts?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Before you do that, spend a day or so site-swapping. Put your older cat in the bathroom while allowing the kitten to roam. This will get BOTH cats' scents all over the home, the territory will feel more "shared" to them, and the eventual meeting will go a bit smoother.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PsychoKitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really had a gut feeling that they were ready to meet, and I was right! The new kitten was SO much more relaxed once we let her out of the bathroom. She's now laying on my bed with my girlfriend, my other cat and I :)
Ninja Meets Leia.jpg

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awesome. I had one set of cats where they loved each other the second they met, zero introduction time was needed. But it doesn’t usually happen that way so slow intros are advised. There still may be some hissing or even slapping as they get to learn about one another but they will probably be best buddies anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PsychoKitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is awesome. I had one set of cats where they loved each other the second they met, zero introduction time was needed. But it doesn’t usually happen that way so slow intros are advised. There still may be some hissing or even slapping as they get to learn about one another but they will probably be best buddies anyway.
Yup, still a little hissing on the part of the new kitten, but I'm sure that will wear off soon

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YES! YOU'VE GOT THIS! There may be a hiss or two here or there, but that's just a discussion, and perfectly normal, even in cats who know each other and get along quite well!