New kitten chasing chihuahua and older cat

chairmanmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently my mom found a feral kitten on the side of the road (mommy was hit by a car) and we did the (hopefully) right thing of bringing him in. I have him started on wet kitten food, and a few other kitten things (small litter box and so on) and he seems to be more healthy. Since he has become healthier he has been chasing our chihuahua and larger male cat around. While the older cat coos and runs away and seems to be warming up (he sniffs and licks the kitten) the dog seems nervous and has been showing odd behavior. I have seen the chihuahua turn and snarl at the larger male cat and at times chase the cat around but the cat only has to turn around and show his size for the chihuahua to back off. I am worried that the chihuahua can hurt the kitten. Any tips on stopping this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chairmanmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just turned around and barked at him, scared the mess out of him and me.

Last edited:

chairmanmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the cat in the bathroom for a few days, you are saying that I should keep them separate until he is bigger or just until they seem to be used to each other?

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The article states the introduction should be over a two week period but it takes more or less time for some people. I have a 16 year old maltese poodle but she was fine with my new kitten right away, but I still never leave the alone together because my dog could hurt the kitten so I am careful to keep them separate when I am not there.

chairmanmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, I do see that now sorry. Thank you for the advice :)

chairmanmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have one more question if you don't mind. When a cat scratches him or the dog barks at him what do I do. I gave my older cat a whack on the hiney (not a hard one just a small swat) and I told the dog she was bad (shes a good dog so to her its a tragedy when she is bad) but then that site says not to punish. How else will they learn if not by punishment?

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a517/ChairmanMeow1122/kittteehhh_zps8af59cbb.jpg

Heres a pic of him doing the classic kitty "if it fits it sits" thing. I don't know how old he is but he is weaned off of milt on to wet kitten food. I am sorry for being so asky but this is my first kitten :p

Last edited:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Teach your dog to "leave it" anytime he looks like he is giving the cats the stare down or barking or chasing them. If you have to leash him in the house until he learns to leave them alone. He can hurt or kill the kitten, especially because being so small the kitten can't jump up on as many things as your big cat to get away or he may not be able to make it to safety before being caught. Do not leave the kitten out with the dog unsupervised at any time until he is older and can safely get away from the dog and your dog learns to ignore the kitten. As for your older cat  if he is already licking the kitten that is a very good sign. Just remove the kitten if your other cat is growling or seems to want to be left alone. With the licking already happening I'd think they would be friends pretty quickly. Two of my cats took a good two months to warm up to the kittens we took in. One of them hissed everytime he smelled them or saw them. Now he is best buddies with them, grooms them and plays with them. 

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have one more question if you don't mind. When a cat scratches him or the dog barks at him what do I do. I gave my older cat a whack on the hiney (not a hard one just a small swat) and I told the dog she was bad (shes a good dog so to her its a tragedy when she is bad) but then that site says not to punish. How else will they learn if not by punishment?
Cats especially don't learn from punishment that there was a connection between their behavior and your punishing them, they just learn that sometimes you are mean and scary. It doesn't sound like you've hurt your relationship with these animals- the punishment doesn't sound any worse than the way I "punish" my kitties with antiallergy wipes each week- but it may not change their behavior. Dogs are somewhat more likely to learn from punishment, or at least from social disappointment, but not enough so to make it effective in general. Especially because they're likely acting a certain way for a reason that is perfectly sensible for an animal- ie barking to let kitten know he is upset by him- and then for some reason, he gets yelled at. Or perhaps you start "barking" too, confirming that there is something to bark about! In general, the no punishment guideline is not a touchy feely principle, but because it can actually be quite difficult to teach an animal using punishment. (And again, with cats it can be pretty impossible.)

It's easier to modify animal behavior if you can
1) Figure out its motives and purpose (this is the hardest part!)
2) When applicable, provide an acceptable alternative
3) Reward for good behavior.

You can also use distraction if you feel that a situation may be developing- for instance, bringing out food or toys when someone is looking like they might start paying inappropriate attention to someone else. (Its not a reward for bad behavior, its preventing bad behavior.)

It sounds like the adult cat and the dog a both trying to find acceptable ways to communicate their boundaries to the kitten. (Kittens are the best at violating boundaries!) If the cat gives the kitten one or two small swats because he's bothering her, then he's the one I would focus on in that moment rather than her- he's just speaking cat to him ("Leave me alone") and kitten needs to learn to respect that. Maybe you can help him along in those moments by distracting him with a toy.

I think the dog is also reacting to the kitten's behavior, though the kitten may not be misbehaving when doggie is acting out. He might be trying to send the message that he's tough and not to be messed with, etc. Or something else- keep an open mind, maybe it will become clear at some point (or maybe it won't ;) ). Giving everyone their own space to go to when they want to be left alone- upper levels for cats, maybe a dog bed that the cats are taught not to go on when the dog is there- can help. Directing the dog to the bed (or another spot) when he is upset and giving him a treat, and then treating him for staying there, can help. (And treating the cats for ignoring him!) This can also be done with a leash throughout the day- treating him for not pulling on it to get at the cats, etc. Treat him for leaving the cats alone, treat the cats for leaving him alone.

And I agree with those who say separate them when you can't supervise. The dog is just being a dog and doing his best, but that doesn't mean he couldn't do damage.

Good luck with your wonderful family! The kitten is beautiful! Thank you for saving his life. :)

Last edited:

littlejaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually had the same problem with my Tinkerbell  and my old handicapped Chihuahua and Maltese/ poodle. I just had to be very careful never to leave them alone together and be there for any kind of problems. My Maltese/poodle Myron would not fight back. He just runs from the cat "Tinkerbell" Now my Chihuahua even though she would fall over due to her handicap she would try to go after Tinkerbell with a vengeance. Unfortunately my little chihuahua lost her battle with cancer last month a few weeks after I rescued my second kitten Sparta. Once I did get a new kitten Tinkerbell didn't mess with Mija the chihuahua. Maybe she new Mija was very sick by then but she also no longer ever bothers  my other Dog Myron either.  They live very nicely now Tinkerbell, Sparta and the dog Myron.  It also could have been because Tinkerbell is getting older too and she has a baby sister kitty to play with.