New Kitten: Calcivirus

Neryo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting here, it's nice to meet you all.

So, where to begin. Ugh I'm so worried.

About 3 months ago we adopted an Abyssinian cat (Loki) from a breeder. Hes about 7 months old now and he usually is a crazy eater, he will consume anything and everything you put in front of him.

Just this past Friday we adopted a 3 month old kitten from the local shelter (Shiva). We quarantined her in a room until I could get her to the vet and monitored them both closely. For the first few days Loki seemed unaffected by anything. He heard her meowing and didnt care one bit.

I just got her to the vet Monday and they said she had Calcivirus because she had an ulcer in her mouth, a low fever, and some congestion. You would never know it though because she looked absolutely fine and was eating drinking and playing constantly. So I'm glad I kept them separated. She luckily was negative on her stool parasite test. I was super relieved because she had bloody diarrhea once over the weekend but the vet said it was likely just a one time occurance due to stress and food change.

So I'm giving her probiotics, immune health boosters and a general antibiotic in the hopes that she will recover fast. Shes super cuddly and friendly and I have really no concerns about her health at this point.

The problem is now Loki. He finally realized something was up and now sits outside her door growling and hissing. I figured this was normal initially. But now as of yesterday he has noticeably stopped eating the amount of food he normally does. I usually give him a 5.5 ounce can a day and some dry food and he devours each meal. Yesterday he ate like a quarter of his breakfast and no dry food, so at lunch time I gave him a different flavor of food. That did work and he ate the whole thing. At dinner time I gave him the same food and again he barely touched it and never ate dry food all day. This of course horrifies me considering how much he usually eats.

This morning I gave him breakfast and again, no luck. I tried putting down a different dry food that he liked (he bit through the bag in my pantry he wanted it so badly) and hes been eating that and drinking some water. But at meal time hes extremely distracted and keeps running upstairs as if hes afraid Shiva is going to come down.

They've never seen each other yet, only heard/smelled one another through the door. I'm worried that maybe he caught the calicivirus (there are no other symptoms). Either that or he's just stressed... either way, I need to get him to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that?

When should I be concerned and call the vet? Should I maybe let them visually see each other so he knows shes not some evil creature that will eat him? My next appointment to check on her condition is next Thursday so we still have a while to go before they can meet...

Thank you for any help you can give me

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
I think, just to be on the safe side if it were me I'd run him in to the vet.

You could also look into some calming products - thunderease and sentry have diffusers, there are collars, treats, a large quantity and variety of products, all with different ingredients, are on the market.

Just in case anything here helps, try some toppers;
see if they'll entice your cat to eat;
  • Chicken or beef flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones), mackeral
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat gravy poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes are on the internet, look for some with goat milk)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
    you could crumble treats onto the wet food, Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neryo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the advice! I think I'm going to run to the store now and try the tuna juice.

Do you think it would be beneficial to them to start introducing them via sight as she recovers? My husband had the brilliant idea that I could put Shiva in the glass shower so Loki can see her for a few minutes without having any contact that could cause infection, but I'm not sure if that would help or hurt the situation.