New Kitten Biting Resident Cat's Neck??

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a couple weeks ago about the new 6-mo-old fixed male kitten we adopted and how he seemed scared and kept hiding. Well, he's got the run of the house now! He's settled right in. And my resident cat Marbles and he are in process working things out- I *think.* But...

He keeps going after her neck! All the time. I just saw him doing it- she laid down on her side and defensively swatted at him- and I watched him just bite right down on the underside of her neck. She didn't yelp- this time- but I also scared him away, and other times I've heard a yelp lately out of her (not sure if biting neck is what was going on then).

To me it looks like he is being aggressive in these instances and she is being defensive and scared.

That being said- He does a lot of making this trilling sound and following or chasing her. She has never made that sound (she didn't grow up with cats)... I read that it is supposed to be a friendly, "play with me!" sound. And I do see them do what looks like actual, nonthreatening back-and-forth chase playing.

But this seems different. He isn't trilling when he does it- Alhough, his ears aren't back (well- they are *rotated* back at least sometimes, but still upright- not flat), he's not hissing, growling, and they are easily broken up with a loud "no!"

Is biting neck play behavior? What about *persistent* going for her neck when she's minding her own business or avoiding her? His foster mom said he's absolutely not an aggressive cat at all and will submit to any other cat (she had 4 others), so this is way surprising if he's being aggressive with her.

Thanks...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(*she didn't *yelp,* not "she didn't tell")

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is play. The thing to remember is that every moment of a cat's play is actually honing hunting skills. And going for the throat is part and parcel of that. It sounds as if Marbles has things well in hand. That yelp you here is exactly what the kitten's mama or sibling would do when he gets too rough, as well as that swat she delivered. She's teaching him how to cat just fine! Try to relax a bit. He'll learn.