New Kitten Attacking My Older Cat

lil_lisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a new 7 week old make kitten, I am at a loss of what to do as I am really regretting my decision to have gotten him. He won't quit attacking my older cat who is also male and is 4 years old, he won't defend himself against the kitten, so I am having to keeping a very close eye and keep the kitten off my older cat. I really don't want to have to take him back to the shelter but I can't allow my older cat to keep getting beat up. If you have any tips that might be helpful to stopping this behavior I am willing to do anything to keep from having to take him back to shelter. It's breaking my heart.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beat up? Its called playing. That is what kittens do. I adopted my last kitten from a home with a 3 legged cat. Now watching my kitten jump on the 3 legged cat, *that* I felt bad about and was happy to adopt the kitten, the last of the litter, and spare the 3 legged cat more indignity.

The only reason it might be an issue is if your older cat is getting really stressed about it. Which is possible. But you haven't mentioned anything about that, so we can't given any advice. Let us know what is going on and how bad it is. In rare instances, when the big cat is constantly hiding/cowering, not eating and/or not using the litter box, some intervention might be useful. But in the more common cases its best to let them work it out and any interventions are of the limited variety, such as giving the big cat some alone petting time now and then.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lil_lisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No it's defiantly not playing, my older cat wants nothing to do with the kitten. So yes it most certainly is stressing him out. I wish it was more playing than the kitten attacking him and biting him, he has already pierced a small hole in his ear. I have also given the kitten lots of play time alone with me and have many toys to keep him entertained but he would rather attack my older cat.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats still playing. Most kittens are little jerks, they don't care if the big cat is interested or not. They will constantly jump and pounce even if they get ignored, hissed at or swatted. Some kittens are more chill, but this level of crazy is totally normal. If the injury was more than a scratch it was a freak thing.

Describe your big cat's behavior. Does the big cat hide? Hiss/growl? Scream? Swat? Still eating and using the litter box normally?

lil_lisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat (name is Jasper) just cowers down and takes the attacking and biting, he does hiss and swat but that doesn't phase kitten (Coco). Jasper still eating and using liter box normally. I just wish Jasper would defend himself more and not scream when being attacked.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought a 4 month old feral home from TNR, and decided to socialize her instead of releasing her back to the feral colony. I kept her and my laid-back senior domestic cat separated for the most part and put them in the same room for short, supervised visits.

She was thrilled to have another cat around (it helped her feel less frightened of the new environment) but of course, she pounced and pounced and pounced. My senior cat tried body language, ignoring her, and then the "stare down" and then wanted out of the room...so I let him, and separated them again for a few hours.

One day, my senior batted her on top of the head fairly powerfully with several swift swats (no claws out) along with the "stare down" at her juvenile rudeness. She backed off and "thought about it" for a minute, then pounced again. He grabbed her back with his teeth and pinned her to the floor for several seconds (no blood drawn).

Her pouncing attacks became fewer and further between in short order (a couple of weeks), until she decided pouncing on him was not so much fun. Now they can be together unsupervised and both be on good manners with each other.

Laid back older cats certainly can be wonderful for teaching kittens manners. As long as there isn't blood and fur flying, I'd let nature take its course, and do let your older cat have some quiet time away from the kitten.

lil_lisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Orange&White for your helpful response. We are taking kitten to the vet on Monday and will be asking about his behavior while there as well. I know kittens are so full of energy and like to "play" but his attacking is really stressing my Jasper out.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Jasper is being a very good and tolerant cat. Cats can smell "babies" and know to be more gentle and with them than they would be with an older cat pouncing on them who "should know better". The kitten doesn't have the hormone scent of an older cat. Jasper is being very nice.

At some point, Jasper will probably swat, hiss, or pin the kitten down and the kitten will learn his boundaries.

If you can, give him some peace time by putting the kitten in a time out room, for a bit when you can't supervise interactions. Make sure Jasper gets individual pet/play/cuddle time without the kitten around so he doesn't feel like he is being replaced.

The longest cat introductions I've experienced only lasted a few weeks before the cats were getting along.