New kitten attacking dogs

catattack2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my cat, Burrito, four weeks ago, he's 12 weeks. At first he was scared of my dogs, but now he tries to play with them all the time, but of course him playing consists of chasing them around the house and biting them. It's like a game to him. They're older dogs, 12 and 11 years old. I've tried spraying him with the spray bottle whenever he does it, but that only deters him for a few seconds, and then he'll start hissing at my poor dog. My dogs, being wimps :), do not attempt defend themselves but just run away and wimper.
What could I do to stop this unruly behavior from my cat?

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I call it normal kitten behavior.  Practicing the pounce.

catanalyst

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since your dogs are running away from Burrito and acting like prey, it makes it even more fun for him to chase them. The main thing is that he is a kitten, has a ton of energy, and wants to play all the time. If you want him to stop attacking the dogs, you should play with him using a wand toy until he's too tired and has to flop down on the floor. Also, the next time he starts chasing them, see if you can distract him using a toy instead, and then engage him in playtime until he is tired out.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Since your dogs are running away from Burrito and acting like prey, it makes it even more fun for him to chase them. The main thing is that he is a kitten, has a ton of energy, and wants to play all the time. If you want him to stop attacking the dogs, you should play with him using a wand toy until he's too tired and has to flop down on the floor. Also, the next time he starts chasing them, see if you can distract him using a toy instead, and then engage him in playtime until he is tired out.

Another option is to adopt another kitten close in age to him so they can wear each other out!  He really is being a normal kitten.  Those dogs are irresistible!  I have pictures of my mother's cat wrestling with one of her dog's tails.  Actually wrestling the dog period; as in had the dog in a headlock. 
  They were more matched in age as you can tell.  My mother took in my Aunt's cat when the other cat was about 2 years later.  Once he and my Aunt's cat became friends he left the dog alone (although he had calmed WAY down too) except to bathe her face.  He still does that actually. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catattack2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well it seems like this is normal kitten behavior. I'm a little worried that he'll hurt my dogs, but if it's normal, I won't worry. I'm new to this parenting thing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would redirect him if he is distressing the dogs. Its hard to give the dogs a "safe place" where he cannot bother them. But it is important to consider your dogs feelings and stress levels. Good interactive play sessions every day are very important. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catattack2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, now it's gotten worse. I was a little worried about the kitten hurting the dogs, and the dogs hurting the cat, but now... well they got in a bit of a fight a couple of minutes ago. The cat was clawing at my dogs face, and my dog was understandably distressed, and the dog's starting to Growel! Annabelle, my dog was moving around frantically due to the cat face attack, and Annabelle accidentally stepped on Burritos tail when he was belly up and he started clawing and hissing cause he couldn't right himself. Is this relationship fixable? He was never like this when we first got him, but lately we've been yelping lowdly whenever he bites too hard. It works, but the dogs don't do that. :( they're starting to snap at him. Should we keep them separated for a while and hope their relationship is manageable?