New kitten and resident cat: fighting or playing?

Hm97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s been a couple weeks since we brought our new kitten Max home (6mon) , and the introduction to our cat Fefe (2yrs) got off to a TERRIBLE start (even with the advice from google and my vets).

The cat keeps chasing the kitten, and then they both start swatting at each other - kitten will eventually hide, soon coming back out. Sometimes he’ll sit there crouching until I find him while Fefe has him cornered, and other times he’ll walk on past (the chasing begins again here). It’s never the kitten chasing the cat, but also I’m confused because the kitten is alternating between acting scared and confident.

We usually break the two up because we assume Fefe is bullying Max, but is it possibly just play? Today is the first day I’ve also noticed: minimal hissing from Fefe when Max is present, they slept in the same room for 5 minutes, and she let him eat in peace though she didn’t touch her food. This is what made me wonder if they were playing earlier and I don’t need to worry so much.

Any input is appreciated! Thank you :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not impossible the older cat is playing despite some hissing. Think of a crotechty grandpa that protests when bugged by a youngster but eventually agrees to play checkers. But it sounds more like the older cat is still a bit stressed and trying to send a message to the kitten to back off. Which is a LOT better than "I hate you, I'm going to try and kill you" which it doesn't sound like is the case.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, to some degree, this is almost certainly Fefe teaching this little upstart his manners. And Max is taking it pretty well, since you say that he is not always afraid, but also acts confident. If Max is swatting back some, it's a good sign. He's not being terrorized, or he'd be hiding full-time. And some of it might certainly be the beginnings, at least, of play. The fact that they slept in the same room at all is also a good sign, they are beginning to relax around each other. Sounds not so bad, so far. Try to relax some, though. Cats are little energy sponges, and will pick up on your tension, slowing the adjustment down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hm97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its not impossible the older cat is playing despite some hissing. Think of a crotechty grandpa that protests when bugged by a youngster but eventually agrees to play checkers. But it sounds more like the older cat is still a bit stressed and trying to send a message to the kitten to back off. Which is a LOT better than "I hate you, I'm going to try and kill you" which it doesn't sound like is the case.
Thank you so much, it’s put us all at ease confirming that we don’t need to be breaking them up :)

Hm97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, to some degree, this is almost certainly Fefe teaching this little upstart his manners. And Max is taking it pretty well, since you say that he is not always afraid, but also acts confident. If Max is swatting back some, it's a good sign. He's not being terrorized, or he'd be hiding full-time. And some of it might certainly be the beginnings, at least, of play. The fact that they slept in the same room at all is also a good sign, they are beginning to relax around each other. Sounds not so bad, so far. Try to relax some, though. Cats are little energy sponges, and will pick up on your tension, slowing the adjustment down.
Thank you so much!! It’s helped a lot knowing they’re beginning to get along.

There’s actually been no chasing today, just following each other to different rooms. They’re both still jumpy, but no hissing or swatting. Definitely seems more like curiosity.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
View attachment 453850 Fefe and Max after a little play session :)
They are beautiful!
My adult cats ALWAYS "beat up" the new kid a little, just to remind them who was here first. I have 3 cats and one dog, and everyone gets along and often sleep together (all four of them) in one large pet bed :) I'm sure in no time at all, they will be racing and playing and you'll be able to relax and enjoy their antics. :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that if is part play & part teaching the new kitty who is top cat? Sometimes cats squabble for dominance…. It isn’t a kill/maim fight but it is rougher play. My last cat Dante had these squabbles with the reformed feral until I finally just let them do it. Dante got his nose slightly scratched, he accepted he was not the top cat & they became buddies.

you can try breaking up your resident cats so it is just 1 cat and the new kitten. That way they can’t gang up on the kitten,

I would probably let it play out but I would still do site swapping for half the day or more, keep supervising their interactions & would try to distract them with play. Like oh look I have a wand toy in each hand or did I just put 3-7 hexabugs down at the same time? Sometimes distracting works. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Make sure you use mutiplr toys so their are no fights over who gets the toy.

Hm97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are beautiful!
My adult cats ALWAYS "beat up" the new kid a little, just to remind them who was here first. I have 3 cats and one dog, and everyone gets along and often sleep together (all four of them) in one large pet bed :) I'm sure in no time at all, they will be racing and playing and you'll be able to relax and enjoy their antics. :)
That’s amazing 😂 and thank you for ur help!!