New kitten and older cat !

Teena71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got a 9 year old cat Female Tink ! She's always been very clean and loving. My daughter has had a kitten at 8 weeks old , Pixie. since this Tink won't come in the house unless we pick her up and bring her in, we feed her outside and she's hissing at Pixie and us . This has been the same since June Pixie is now 6 months and still Think won't come in . I've tried all the usual tips , introducing slowly through glass doors in separate rooms, smells ,plug ins !! Don't know what else to do , worried now as weather getting colder and don't want Tink out in the cold 😥😥

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has come up many times, and I noticed it a little myself when I had an indoor/outdoor cat and added a kitten. It seems that if the indoor/outdoor is allowed to chose to stay outside and does so, the introduction process doesn't move forward. People with big houses sometimes have a similar avoidance issue even with indoor cats. We haven't come up with some amazing solution, and usually recommend making the indoor/outdoor cat an indoor cat. Of course, if need be, you could go the other route and buy a heated cat shelter for the indoor/outdoor cat so they have somewhere safe to shelter from the elements. Such things can be found on sites like Amazon, and are both cheaper and more highly rated than I would have expected.

Unfortunately, it makes sense that these are the only options, since you couldn't very well try to fix up two humans if they wouldn't spend any time near each other. Well in the internet age maybe you could, but you get the idea. This is a normal difficulty, with unfortunately not many solutions.

I know you have tried some indoor time, but some indoor time is not enough. The glass door technique, for example, works much better when its 24/7 for as long as needed. By comparison, an hour or two a day may or may not be helpful.

What happens when they are actually in the same room? I assume that has happened at some point?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Teena71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This has come up many times, and I noticed it a little myself when I had an indoor/outdoor cat and added a kitten. It seems that if the indoor/outdoor is allowed to chose to stay outside and does so, the introduction process doesn't move forward. People with big houses sometimes have a similar avoidance issue even with indoor cats. We haven't come up with some amazing solution, and usually recommend making the indoor/outdoor cat an indoor cat. Of course, if need be, you could go the other route and buy a heated cat shelter for the indoor/outdoor cat so they have somewhere safe to shelter from the elements. Such things can be found on sites like Amazon, and are both cheaper and more highly rated than I would have expected.

Unfortunately, it makes sense that these are the only options, since you couldn't very well try to fix up two humans if they wouldn't spend any time near each other. Well in the internet age maybe you could, but you get the idea. This is a normal difficulty, with unfortunately not many solutions.

I know you have tried some indoor time, but some indoor time is not enough. The glass door technique, for example, works much better when its 24/7 for as long as needed. By comparison, an hour or two a day may or may not be helpful.

What happens when they are actually in the same room? I assume that has happened at some point?
Hi , yes we've put them in the same room and Tink will hiss but then just sit still as long as Pixie stays at a distance , if Tink is by a door she just crys to go out and as she doesn't use a litter tray we do let her out but just try to keep putting them together for short periods . Today we've put Tink upstairs and kept Pixie down because of the rain but I know shortly Tink will come down to the door and cry to go out , I'm still not happy to leave them together in the house as we all work , Pixie can be doctored soon wondering if this may make any difference

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it can only help, but since it sounds like the issue is the older cat, neutering the kitten is unlikely to help much. Its still a good idea.

The not using a litter tray is a hard issue. I had an indoor/outdoor that was the same way. Its not so easy to change. Folks suggest putting a bit of dirt on top of the litter. They also recommend Cat Attract brand cat litter. None of that really worked for me. I tried a "boot camp" of confining the indoor/outdoor in the bathroom for 2 days (with a proper set up of course) and that maybe helped a little, but it didn't actually solve the issue.

What happens if the kitten approaches? Just a little hissing and avoidance behavior is nothing. If thats all it is, then the only real problem your facing with conversion is the litter issue. Which is not a little problem, but its better than fighting.

Teena71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it can only help, but since it sounds like the issue is the older cat, neutering the kitten is unlikely to help much. Its still a good idea.

The not using a litter tray is a hard issue. I had an indoor/outdoor that was the same way. Its not so easy to change. Folks suggest putting a bit of dirt on top of the litter. They also recommend Cat Attract brand cat litter. None of that really worked for me. I tried a "boot camp" of confining the indoor/outdoor in the bathroom for 2 days (with a proper set up of course) and that maybe helped a little, but it didn't actually solve the issue.

What happens if the kitten approaches? Just a little hissing and avoidance behavior is nothing. If thats all it is, then the only real problem your facing with conversion is the litter issue. Which is not a little problem, but its better than fighting.
If Pixie approaches , Tink will just hiss and basically try and slope away really slowly, Pixie just wants to play. Tink has never done anything think else I'm thinking if she was going to attack her she'd have done it by now . Do you think being to females make's a difference? My friends have bought other cats into their house's with next to no problems at all ?

Teena71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tink has actually been to the toilet in the bath or sink before if she couldn't get outside , so she's really clean that way 😂

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Pixie approaches , Tink will just hiss and basically try and slope away really slowly, Pixie just wants to play. Tink has never done anything think else I'm thinking if she was going to attack her she'd have done it by now . Do you think being to females make's a difference? My friends have bought other cats into their house's with next to no problems at all ?
I think its probably the kitten's activity level. But what your describing as far as tension goes doesn't sound bad at all. I think if you could solve the litter box issues, you could let them be together 24/7 and in time they would work it out. Like I said though, I know the litter box issues aren't easy ones!

If you can afford it, or have a handy family member, a catio might solve your problems. Forgot that one when I posted earlier.

Teena71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think its probably the kitten's activity level. But what your describing as far as tension goes doesn't sound bad at all. I think if you could solve the litter box issues, you could let them be together 24/7 and in time they would work it out. Like I said though, I know the litter box issues aren't easy ones!

If you can afford it, or have a handy family member, a catio might solve your problems. Forgot that one when I posted earlier.
Ok what's a catio ?? Thanks for your replies

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok what's a catio ?? Thanks for your replies
Its basically a fenced or caged in area in your yard thats big enough that the cat gets a little outdoor time and could have a corner to pee/poop in, but secure (no escapes) and also small enough that you could (more or less) just go get the cat when its time to come in. They sell kits, or you could get a custom one built if you have the money or someone with carpentry skills.