New Kitten, And 1 Year Old Cat Introduction

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got a new kitten and have been trying to use the Jackson Galaxy method of introduction but the pet gate I bought isn't keeping them separated. I tried pinning a blanket over it but the kitten keeps getting out. IDK what to do instead/next

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He seemed okay but now he's reaching for him and hissing. But only occasionally. He keeps following him around.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
At the age of your resident cat, where it’s barely out of kittenhood usually the two cats quickly get used to one another and move on to playing. Some hissing and swatting still may occur but it is just each sort of sizing the other up. The biggest concern is that an older cat may play too rough if the kitten is still quite young. How old is yours?

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The oldest is 1 and the youngest is 3 months

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The oldest will be 2 in March

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A three month old can probably hold is own okay with a one year old. I would let the two be together when you can supervise until you see how they play together and that neither seems overly stressed. I would also make sure there are hiding and up high places where each can get away from the other.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My older cat has a place he can for sure go. The kitten does not at the moment

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Susan that a formal introduction process is rarely necessary for cats of these ages. Kittens are super adaptable, so there are really only two issues: (1) some kittens can be stressed by a new home for up to a week. Being set up in a "home base" helps them feel safe; (2) some older cats get stressed by kittens. But this would be a bit uncommon for a resident cat as young as 2, and you'd have likely seen evidence if it was going to be a problem.

If an introduction is ever necessary in the future, say with different cats, some people stack the baby gates double high. Also, I thought Jackson Galaxy was recommending door jambs to crack a door, not baby gates. That would be something else one could do in an introduction process.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He recommends screen doors (like I can just buy a screen door). They're not fighting neccesarily. My older cat is still a little wary of the kitten

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Even a cardboard box with a kitten size entrance works as a temporary hideout. Cut a few smaller holes it it and the two cats may play a game of touching paws through the holes.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have evolved to stealing each others food

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also while I have yall. I need to give the kitten eye drops. Any tips?

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. My older cat doesnt want me to pet him cause the kitten is always right there. He also wont share toys

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He will get over it and the kitten will soon stop being an attention hog. You can always put the kitten in another room so you can have some playtime and cuddle time with your resident cat.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok. I guess it's just growing pains