New(ish) Cat Chasing Resident

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any tips on getting the newer cat to stop seeing the resident cat as prey?

We've had Maui for about 5 months now, and she and Coffee (resident) still don't get along great but they are fine when supervised and relaxing (Coffee usually on a high perch somewhere, Maui exploring). But as soon as Coffee tries to move from her post or run somewhere else, Maui chases her and attacks. Poor Coffee is just terrified of Maui now, and I'm wondering how to proceed so that Maui stops seeing her as a toy and so that Coffee can relax and move about freely when Maui is around.

Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! Very slow intro. Maui is still in her own room when unsupervised and at bedtime, and we give them turns having access to the house when they aren't having supervised time together. Both are now very used to each others' scents and sights. Coffee is 2, and Maui is 3.5.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Are they both spayed? Have you tried pheromone diffusers like Feliway (multicat formula)?

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both spayed, and yes tried all of that (diffusers, spray, prescription) but doesn't seem to make a difference to either of them. Other than the prescription, which has them both walking around like zombies who still don't like each other.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't where Maui came from, but she may be trying to be the dominate cat over Coffee. Since they are both not kittens, their time to adjust to each other may take longer. You might want to remove Maui from the area when she goes after Coffee. Just pick her up and take her to another location to let her know her behavior is not good.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes are there? Should be 3 for 2 cats (1 per cat +1). On top of that, what type of litter boxes? Are they open or closed type.

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't where Maui came from, but she may be trying to be the dominate cat over Coffee. Since they are both not kittens, their time to adjust to each other may take longer. You might want to remove Maui from the area when she goes after Coffee. Just pick her up and take her to another location to let her know her behavior is not good.
Oh I definitely think she's trying to be the dominant cat! As soon as it happens we always put her in her room by herself as a time-out so I'm hoping she is slowly learning. It's tough because I don't think we let it happen often enough for her to make that connection (we usually distract when it looks like she is going for the sneak attack), but I know it will be a slow process!

I'm wondering if a spray bottle may help deter her from attacking?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh I definitely think she's trying to be the dominant cat! As soon as it happens we always put her in her room by herself as a time-out so I'm hoping she is slowly learning. It's tough because I don't think we let it happen often enough for her to make that connection (we usually distract when it looks like she is going for the sneak attack), but I know it will be a slow process!

I'm wondering if a spray bottle may help deter her from attacking?
A spray bottle will only make matters 10x worse... she isn’t doing anything wrong in her eyes and by you spraying her she will just not like you in return.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh no, no spray bottle. From all that I know, that actually encourages bad behavior. I think it is because it is not a normal kind of response for a cat.
Better to pick her up and when you do tell her a firm "no" or perhaps hiss at her.

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no, no spray bottle. From all that I know, that actually encourages bad behavior. I think it is because it is not a normal kind of response for a cat.
Better to pick her up and when you do tell her a firm "no" or perhaps hiss at her.
Okay! Continuing on how it is, then. I hope they can get along soon.
Neither of them seem bothered after they've been separated, Coffee just goes right back to snoozing and relaxing and Maui couldn't care less. I just feel bad that she's on edge when Maui is around. I can't tell how much of the fighting is "too much" and how much is them working out their hierarchy, but I'd rather Maui wasn't the boss as she is apparently a bit of a bully.
There's never any claws or biting, it's just the noise coming out of their mouths that freaks me out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The key will be if Coffee can assert herself with Maui. Console Coffee and play with her more, give her more attention. She needs to be able to build self-confidence, so that she can feel like she is on equal ground with Maui.

As long as there is no blood drawn or anything like that, they will just have to kind of figure it out, under supervision. The only thing you want to look out for is if it changes Coffee's demeanor around her entire environment because of Maui.

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I wish she would!
I also wish she would realize that she is much, MUCH more agile than Maui is, and could so easily jump up and away from harms way. Maui is a clumsy little bulldozer and would have no idea how to get to Coffee if she just jumped on a bookshelf lol!

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maui has zero coordination... I think it's from the lack of tail :lol:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
How catified is your place? You mentioned Coffee could jump up to a bookshelf... is she a “tree cat” where she likes to be up high all the time? You mentioned in the original post the fight usually happens when Coffee comes down from a perch, correct? So then if possible try and build a nice little path for her up high so she can own the sky while Maui can have land dominion. That way they are both happy.

I have shelves and bookshelves with tall cat houses/trees all over because one of my kitty cats is exactly that... a tree cat and she only feels comfortable up high.

Of course without seeing your place I can only suggest so much as to what you could add/change.

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Coffee definitely has some tree-cat tendencies, particularly when Maui is around. If Maui isn't out, she could go either way but I do think she feels safer up high. There are lots of vertical spaces in the house for her, it's just getting from one to the next without becoming Maui's prey. I have recently purchased some more shelves to put up for her though, so hopefully that will help.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Coffee definitely has some tree-cat tendencies, particularly when Maui is around. If Maui isn't out, she could go either way but I do think she feels safer up high. There are lots of vertical spaces in the house for her, it's just getting from one to the next without becoming Maui's prey. I have recently purchased some more shelves to put up for her though, so hopefully that will help.
The additional shelves should probably help, yes :)!