New Identity rabbit / quail / quail & turkey

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been hunting for a quality cat food. Found Identity. Worth the money: new line rabbit or quail 3 ounce cans. said it is the exact same formula as the dog food 6 ounce cans if you want to get a larger can but In not sure if it has taurine that cats need.
Also has a quail with turkey formula.
No weird things added in: no gums no seeds that cause toxic exposures or inflammation.
It does have coconut oil in it. Someone suggested that coconut oil is hard for the cats to digest as it is a medium chain triglyceride and builds up in their liver. Would anyone know about that?

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thanks for the info. I just looked it up and see they use agar-agar as their thickener, and the DOG variety doesn't add taurine, so I would NOT substitute that to feed cats (unless I just missed it in the ingredient list) Have you tried it on your cats? How do they like it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got a reply from Identity and the dog food does have taurine in it. Agar agar is not in the rabbit formula. There was a concern raised about coconut oil which I am reviewing with them here’s their responses so far:

Response regarding taurine in

Hi Joan,
Yes, our 6 oz recipes are created from the same formula & include the same ingredients including taurine. Additionally, our diets are primary meat-based diets so you won't find a deficiency of taurine in our diets since they are meat-based. We formulate all our diets with the same formulas. Sometimes, there can be a slight mineral difference due to the volume in the diet but we use the same formulations on all our diets as they are both appropriate for dogs & cats since they are primarily meat-based & the meat is critical for both dogs & cats to get the required amino acids necessary for a healthy life.
Best Regards,
Zoey P.
Customer Care
Identity Pet

Response:

Thank you for this Joan.
We have seen this article & can appreciate your concern. We do not necessarily agree with the antecdotal evidence in this study. It is important to note the article specifically mentions hydrogenated coconut oil. Hydrogenated oils cause problems no matter the source as they create trans fats. This is why we only use virgin, non-hydrogenated coconut oil & we use a very small amount. Virgin Coconut oil has been found to be tremendously beneficial for hairball issues as well as reducing inflammation through its anti-bacterial, anti-microbial & anti-fungal properties.
Coconut oil is a tremendous medium-chain fatty acid. Further, our diets are also balanced by animal nutritionists & veterinarians to ensure proper levels of linoleic acid as well as arachidonic acid as these two fatty acids are absolutely critical & are essential fatty acids for both cats & dogs. This study also specifically mentions issues with coconut oil in diets lacking arachidonic acid which is not the case with our diets as we have large sources of animal fats which allows a cat to synthesize arachidonic acid. It is important to note many commercial pet foods, though they might appear to be meat-based, often include high levels of vegetable protein & are often, in fact, vegetable-based diets. Our diets derive their primary protein source from animal protein sources & their primary fat sources from animal fat to ensure proper, balanced levels of amino acids which are found in animal tissues.
Best Regards,
Zoey P.
Customer Care
Identity Pet Nutrition
P: 833.720.PETS

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
These are new formulas. Rabbit doesn’t have agar agar.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
do your cats like it? BTW, I did go back and see if I just missed taurine in the ingredient list in the dog variety and see it's listed on certain of the proteins, but not all. Curious. Oh well.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have tried Turkey and Quail flavors but they didn’t like it. I mainly got them because I love the design of their cans :) I didn’t see the rabbit flavor though, I would have certainly get it, they love anything rabbit. But I can see agar agar in the ingredient list on the photo? Agar agar causes lose stools in one of my cats if I feed it more than occasionally, just like carrageenan does. Also, I’d be worried that unlike other meats, the rabbit&broth consists only of 80%. The rest are veggies? That’s a lot.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No agar agar in the rabbit. CEO of Identity told me that the 6 ounce can of dog rabbit is the exact same formula -taurine included-might not be true on other formulas -I don’t know maybe because a 5 ounce cat can is available is other proteins but not in rabbit - rabbit only is available in 3 ounce so far.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My picky eater wouldn't touch this food sadly! Great ingredients and customer service though

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got a reply from Identity and the dog food does have taurine in it. Agar agar is not in the rabbit formula. There was a concern raised about coconut oil which I am reviewing with them here’s their responses so far:

Response regarding taurine in

Hi Joan,
Yes, our 6 oz recipes are created from the same formula & include the same ingredients including taurine. Additionally, our diets are primary meat-based diets so you won't find a deficiency of taurine in our diets since they are meat-based. We formulate all our diets with the same formulas. Sometimes, there can be a slight mineral difference due to the volume in the diet but we use the same formulations on all our diets as they are both appropriate for dogs & cats since they are primarily meat-based & the meat is critical for both dogs & cats to get the required amino acids necessary for a healthy life.
Best Regards,
Zoey P.
Customer Care
Identity Pet

Response:

Thank you for this Joan.
We have seen this article & can appreciate your concern. We do not necessarily agree with the antecdotal evidence in this study. It is important to note the article specifically mentions hydrogenated coconut oil. Hydrogenated oils cause problems no matter the source as they create trans fats. This is why we only use virgin, non-hydrogenated coconut oil & we use a very small amount. Virgin Coconut oil has been found to be tremendously beneficial for hairball issues as well as reducing inflammation through its anti-bacterial, anti-microbial & anti-fungal properties.
Coconut oil is a tremendous medium-chain fatty acid. Further, our diets are also balanced by animal nutritionists & veterinarians to ensure proper levels of linoleic acid as well as arachidonic acid as these two fatty acids are absolutely critical & are essential fatty acids for both cats & dogs. This study also specifically mentions issues with coconut oil in diets lacking arachidonic acid which is not the case with our diets as we have large sources of animal fats which allows a cat to synthesize arachidonic acid. It is important to note many commercial pet foods, though they might appear to be meat-based, often include high levels of vegetable protein & are often, in fact, vegetable-based diets. Our diets derive their primary protein source from animal protein sources & their primary fat sources from animal fat to ensure proper, balanced levels of amino acids which are found in animal tissues.
Best Regards,
Zoey P.
Customer Care
Identity Pet Nutrition
P: 833.720.PETS
Alright, I am dusting off 5 courses in animal nutrition, comparative animal nutrition, and human nutrition, ethics in nutrition. As well as practical application for wild populations we are reintroducing once rehabilitated, wild captives never being released, as well as domesticated carnivores, both obligate carnivore and omnivorous opportunistic carnvivores.

Firstly, plant derived fats and oils are poorly digested and absorbed, and poorly tolerated, by carnivorous, short, GI tracts. Including coconut oil. I don't care if it is virgin, slutty, pure, partially hydrogenated, fully hydrogenated, liquid or solid.

Secondly, the omega 6 fatty acids she listed as essential are NOT. The essential fatty acids that cats cannot generate themselves that MUST be in their diet are DHA and EPA, omega 3 fatty acids, essential to organ maintenance and function.

Thirdly, have you investigated employing a veterinary nutritionist to formulate multiple dietary recipes for you to utilize at home that include the novel proteins you know do not trigger her autoimmune inflammation or her pancreatitis? They are invaluable resources for one-on-one guidance and direction when coping with a multi-diseased patient such as your geriatric baby.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so wait, you mean different formula than mentioned on the ingredient page you inserted in post #4? Can you list the ingredients in rabbit you're referring to?
Oops I just was reading on the can and noticed there is a little agar agar but it is a very small amount
Rabbit, rabbit broth, coconut oil, pumpkin, carrots, kale, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, agar agar......
not likely much of it

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops I just was reading on the can and noticed there is a little agar agar but it is a very small amount
Rabbit, rabbit broth, coconut oil, pumpkin, carrots, kale, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, agar agar......
not likely much of it
Ok thanks for checking. It’s a shame, I’d love to find rabbit canned without agar agar :(

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
CEO of Identity told me that the 6 ounce can of dog rabbit is the exact same formula -taurine included-might not be true on other formulas -I don’t know maybe because a 5 ounce cat can is available is other proteins but not in rabbit - rabbit only is available in 3 ounce so far.

not likely much of it

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks for checking. It’s a shame, I’d love to find rabbit canned without agar agar :(
Agar agar last ingredient before salt might really not be much
My kitty likes it but might be a little sensitive to something maybe the coconut oil but it’s only been one day.
I really love lotus rabbit pate until I noticed it has flaxseed and I tested for cyanide because ground flaxseed can convert to cyanide and a little showed up in it. :( not happy when I had an expert in animal toxicology, Rhian Cope review it and it is too much for my little 5 1/2 lb cat.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Due to certain allergy issues, and being so pleased by our regular limited ingredient rabbit for cats, something strange has happened in the last few months (and my pocketbook is showing the pain). Suddenly, where Norma-Jean gobbled down her rabbit every day, recently she started sniffing and rejecting her meal. Out of desperation I guess, she'd finally go back and half-heartedly eat it.
Then a new batch would come and she'd go back to downing it right away again with no problems.
Well, after 3 orders and different outcomes, we cannot afford any longer to throw out cases (or give them away). There is no reason ever to tolerate the lack of product consistency.
After intensive search and reading, we found Identity Persona limited ingredient rabbit (not cheap but she's my baby) and, glory be, she swooped it right up with glee. The kid has diamond ring taste!
My only hope is that they don't start messing around and changing the formula like so many companies do.
Motto: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Fingers crossed.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agar agar last ingredient before salt might really not be much
My kitty likes it but might be a little sensitive to something maybe the coconut oil but it’s only been one day.
I really love lotus rabbit pate until I noticed it has flaxseed and I tested for cyanide because ground flaxseed can convert to cyanide and a little showed up in it. :( not happy when I had an expert in animal toxicology, Rhian Cope review it and it is too much for my little 5 1/2 lb cat.
Hi,
I realize this is a late response---thanks for sharing info about your ingredient research. I've been searching for reviews of Identity canned food. Am curious if your cat was continued on it without digestive issues? I've been trying to transition my cat to this brand because it has less phosphorus, but since starting him on it he has diarrhea. The only ingredient in the list that is new to him is Agar-Agar. I would suspect the coconut oil but he's eaten some in the past without side effects. I really wish companies would stop adding these binders! My cat doesn't care if the food comes out of the can as a perfectly shaped loaf : \

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ever since my last post a few days ago, Norma-Jean has suddenly started scratching again like crazy. Now either it is because of the Identity Rabbit which she likes very much (and so, selfishly do I because of the softer consistency) or else it is because of the Koha rabbit.
So now I have stopped the Identity for a week to see if Koha is the culprit.
I have decided to combine the Koha with Instinct rabbit (normally her regular cat food) and so far the scratching has been at a minimum but is still there.
I will do the same thing this week with the Identity rabbit/Instinct mixture and cut out the Koha to see if she scratches again or not.
I will be sure to report further findings.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ever since my last post a few days ago, Norma-Jean has suddenly started scratching again like crazy. Now either it is because of the Identity Rabbit which she likes very much (and so, selfishly do I because of the softer consistency) or else it is because of the Koha rabbit.
So now I have stopped the Identity for a week to see if Koha is the culprit.
I have decided to combine the Koha with Instinct rabbit (normally her regular cat food) and so far the scratching has been at a minimum but is still there.
I will do the same thing this week with the Identity rabbit/Instinct mixture and cut out the Koha to see if she scratches again or not.
I will be sure to report further findings.
Oh no, it's such a challenge to figure these things out. If it turns out in the future you need a different brand for rabbit, I found that Rawz canned 96% rabbit pate was really good quality, limited ingredients. The only reason I'm not feeding it to my cat is because the protein/phosphorus amounts in it are too high for managing kidney disease.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no, it's such a challenge to figure these things out. If it turns out in the future you need a different brand for rabbit, I found that Rawz canned 96% rabbit pate was really good quality, limited ingredients. The only reason I'm not feeding it to my cat is because the protein/phosphorus amounts in it are too high for managing kidney disease.
I'm ahead of you. Rawz was the very first on my new choice list some time ago. She hated it!
However, I am now at the 2nd phase of my testing between Koha and Identity. Koha went pretty well with "some" scratching. but normal bm's.
Today will tell the "tail" on Identity. (to be continued...)