New Here, Need Some Advice.

MidlifeDaydreams

Midlife Daydreams
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, so my husband is getting me a new feline. I'm so excited. However, we're trying to decide based on our current kitty, the proper age to go with. Our kids are essentially grown, we've got a 13 year old that is the only one that bothers to grace us with his presence. My oldest is married and moved out. The other two are driving and never home. Maybe it's empty nest, who knows. Anyway, we've had Pepper for 12 years. APL estimated her to be 4 on adoption, so she's around 16 years old. We also have Milo...Cocker Spaniel, we've had him 10 years, vet estimates his age at 14 years.

Both my husband and I only work 4 days a week now. So we've got plenty of time. Is there an age group we should be looking at? Pepper is fascinated by kittens, and not a threat. We kittysat for a friend and she was over the moon. So I doubt she'll be an issue. But given her age, she we be going with Kitten, Young, Adult or Senior? And the dog is a softie...he's a licker, not a fighter.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always like to advocate adoption of senior pets. However you say pepper is fascinated by kittens, and you know she gets on with them well. You may not be sure how she would do with an older cat? At her age i think i would do everything i could to keep her calm, and happy. If she Likes kittens, i would get her a kitten :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm would say a kitten since she likes them. I would also give her 2-4 hours a day without the kitten, so she can get a break. Just be sure to let her displine/teach the kitten manners. That way you don't end up with a teenager upsurper trying to steal Pepper's crown.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, adopt a kitten 12 weeks old or more that was raised with his/her mother. That gives mom cat time to teach the kitten proper cat manners & behavior. I would suggest a tom kitten. Female cats seem to tolerate a neutered tom as a companion better than another female. Two girls can get a little competitive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MidlifeDaydreams

Midlife Daydreams
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. Well...we literally just got back. We agreed, we know she likes kittens. Also, an older kitten preferred. It's official! I'm so excited. My husband got home at 3, APL closed at 4:30, so we were rushing. We found her on Petfinder thru the APL. I kept going back to this one for a few days in my research. The name the APL gave her is Queen, but we are calling her Chloe. She technically had no name. They said she belonged to a hoarder.

She is 8 months old! The moment we held her...she basically went limp. Super relaxed. Back Story: Pepper my other cat, was a feral. The APL brought her in and flat out could not find a home for her...cuz well...she's a pill. It took a FULL YEAR for us to be allowed to pick her up. She wanted nothing to do with the idea. Now here were are over a decade later, and Pepper has been a wonderful family member.

This time though...we didn't want to have such an incredible degree of mistrust coming through. It was seriously hard work taming a feral cat. So I think Chloe (Queen), will be the perfect fit...I hope. Honestly, it took about two seconds for them to warm up. Chloe did just get spayed, so she's delicate and Pepper seems to sense that.

So without further ado, introducing Chloe (Queen) :D Adopted May 18 2018 at 8 months old!

MidlifeDaydreams

Midlife Daydreams
Young Cat
Purraise

There was literally ZERO issues. I was kind of amazed. But we used a lot of food and treats.

Pepper stared for a bit...but her love of snacks over rode that.

So all in all...it went awesome! She is soooo friendly...just relaxed. That's the only word I can think of. And she has longer hair...which is great! She's like a teddy bear. Anyway, thank you all for your advice. And we followed it;)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy for you guys, and for Pepper and her new friend! Hopefully Pepper and her new friend Chloe will give you guys many years of happy cat shenanigans together! :)

MidlifeDaydreams

Midlife Daydreams
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) I've waited about a year to do this. Just needed to be sure. Years ago we had a Maine Coon. He was our first ever kitty. About 20 years ago. Then Pepper. Anyway, my husband SWORE HE HATED CATS. Then this fat boofa started following him around at work. It was living out of their dumpster. Low and behold...he said even though he hated cats...the cat liked him...so we had to keep him. LOL...and the rest is history. Pepper came on later as a companion for Sweetie. Sweetie passed a few years back. That boy was huge. It was the vet who told us he was Coon. I've kinda longed for that long hair ever since. Anyway, thanks guys. :D

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I just came across this thread, and already I'm too late to offer advice! So I'll say "Congrats on the adoption of little Chloe." :bouquet:

Since you're new to the site, perhaps you can "formally" introduce Pepper and Chloe in our New Cats on the Block forum.