New Here, Could Use Some Feedback If You Be So Kind.

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I support your plan for her. You know she is suffering and possibly nearing the end, but you want to explore all avenues and do everything you can to save her. I hope the chemo works for your baby.

The total cost for Leroy’s tests (blood, x-rays, Ultrasound, etc) at the ER, intestinal resection surgery, 1 week hospitalization and examination by a neurologist was $6000. I spent another $1000-1500 on chemo and additional vet visits.

Losing Leroy is the hardest thing I’ve been through. My previous cats all died peacefully due to old age. Leroy was taken suddenly by an aggressive illness that made him so sick at times (could have been the chemo), he would be up all night hacking, lethargically walking back and forth from my bed to the bathroom, where I’d run the water faucet and watch over him guzzle water, in pain to see him in pain. He had lost a lot of weight, became increasingly lethargic, food and water intake became minimal to nonexistent, and was rapidly losing his sensory functions, but he could still walk, purred as he kneaded his favorite throw on the couch, used the litterbox when I placed him in it, and I saw glimpses of the old Leroy inside his cancer ravaged brain. I still wonder if I did the right thing. Euthanasia prevented him from suffering a seizure, which would’ve been next. But I wonder if I should’ve let him go naturally.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My sincere sympathies for what you are going through with your cat. :hugs: As you know it's not an easy road to follow and comes with much pain both for you and your girl. We feel responsible for taking care of our best friend and doing everything possible to help ease their suffering.

Although not the same diagnosis our last cat endured an incurable type of cancer. Like you we left no stone unturned and tried our best to extend her life as long as she gave us a sign that she could fight. Once she showed us there was no quality of life left we helped her to cross the Rainbow Bridge. Every cat is an individual and I'm more than glad to share my experience but with guidance from your vet whom you trust and your own conscience you cannot make the wrong decision. My thoughts are with you and my best wishes too. :vibes::vibes:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your girl literally just laying there? Can she walk at all? Does she drink water on her own? Is she cooperative when she is being syringe fed? Leroy was a highly independent cat and almost impossible to syringe feed. He fought so hard he made the syringe fly across the kitchen. GI lymphoma is the most common type of cancer in cats and Leroy had it too. He got an intestinal resection and had a prognosis of 2-3 years with chemo.....until we discovered the lymphoma was also in his brain. He was only diagnosed 3 weeks ago, but the brain cancer progressed quickly, killed his appetite, gave him heart arrhythmia, and he became too weak to jump on Monday, after his second dose of chemo, which was Lomustine. He was still able to walk up and down the stairs, but then he lost his eyesight and began having difficulty swallowing. Every couple of days there was another decline in his health. He was never going to get better, and was in pain. So yesterday, we helped him cross the bridge.
:grouphug2::hearthrob::rbheart::redheartpump::grouphug:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
My sincere sympathies for what you are going through with your cat. :hugs: As you know it's not an easy road to follow and comes with much pain both for you and your girl. We feel responsible for taking care of our best friend and doing everything possible to help ease their suffering.

Although not the same diagnosis our last cat endured an incurable type of cancer. Like you we left no stone unturned and tried our best to extend her life as long as she gave us a sign that she could fight. Once she showed us there was no quality of life left we helped her to cross the Rainbow Bridge. Every cat is an individual and I'm more than glad to share my experience but with guidance from your vet whom you trust and your own conscience you cannot make the wrong decision. My thoughts are with you and my best wishes too. :vibes::vibes:
:alright::redheartpump::rbheart::angel3::redheartpump::grouphug2::grouphug:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I support your plan for her. You know she is suffering and possibly nearing the end, but you want to explore all avenues and do everything you can to save her. I hope the chemo works for your baby.

The total cost for Leroy’s tests (blood, x-rays, Ultrasound, etc) at the ER, intestinal resection surgery, 1 week hospitalization and examination by a neurologist was $6000. I spent another $1000-1500 on chemo and additional vet visits.

Losing Leroy is the hardest thing I’ve been through. My previous cats all died peacefully due to old age. Leroy was taken suddenly by an aggressive illness that made him so sick at times (could have been the chemo), he would be up all night hacking, lethargically walking back and forth from my bed to the bathroom, where I’d run the water faucet and watch over him guzzle water, in pain to see him in pain. He had lost a lot of weight, became increasingly lethargic, food and water intake became minimal to nonexistent, and was rapidly losing his sensory functions, but he could still walk, purred as he kneaded his favorite throw on the couch, used the litterbox when I placed him in it, and I saw glimpses of the old Leroy inside his cancer ravaged brain. I still wonder if I did the right thing. Euthanasia prevented him from suffering a seizure, which would’ve been next. But I wonder if I should’ve let him go naturally.
:grouphug: I have been there, with my beloved pony Dusty, many many years ago. In my opinion you did the right thing. The greatest gift of love we can give them is to free them from the torture of a slow agonizing death. You did the best you could, please forgive yourself. Leroy is watching over you, he is not in pain anymore and doesn't want you to keep suffering.
:hearthrob::rbheart::redheartpump::grouphug2:

Geralizze M.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was in a similar situation last year.

One of my cats was missing for a few weeks and when she returned, she was very weak and had an eyeball sticking out. I rushed her to the vet and after examining her he said that sadly, it seems like she was hit by a car more than a week ago. Her eye was badly infected, she could not breathe because she was covered in it and the infection reached her nerves. She could not walk much and her head had a slight involuntary tick. It was a miracle she even made it home.

I took her to the vet with the intention of having her euthanized but I had a change of mind and wanted to get her checked first just in case there was some hope for her to live. I had a discussion with the vet about the possibilities of her making it through surgery but he said that she might make it through the surgery and the treatments but, she would not be able to live her life normally... So I did what had to be done. I agreed to have her euthanized that same day. After the sedative was administered we were left alone in that cold room. I caressed and whispered to her how much I appreciated her and our time together until she passed away peacefully.

I sometimes wonder if maybe I did the right thing by putting her out of her misery. It’s a really difficult choice to make.

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just reading your post right now. So sorry you are going through all this. Lymphoma is one of the most devastating cancers. I too lost my soul cat last year due to large cell lymphoma. We caught it too late and one day he went away to die on his own, he decided for us. We tried everything except for chemo, he was too advanced in his illness and it would not have helped.
Have you tried vitamin B-12 injections? our cat was also very weak and had trouble jumping and we noticed those shots really helped a lot.
Wishing you good luck with your cat, she is too young to have to go through this. Sending you good thoughts and love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kenwoodjens1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for everyone's wonderful feedback and kindness.

Had to say good by to Bonnie on Sunday at 8pm, I'm still hart broken :-(

Last picture of the Sweet hart May 11th

Attachments

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Had to say good by to Bonnie on Sunday at 8pm, I'm still hart broken :-(
I am so, so sorry. I know it doesn't make it any easier for you but know that most (if not all) of us have been through this too. I lost my most beloved cat to cancer only 68 days ago and I am still so heartbroken. Please feel free to come here and talk to us. I've found this community to be so helpful during the hardest days.

Your Bonnie was so beautiful and I'm sure she felt your unconditional love all through her life, through the very end.

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My prayers are with you. When I went through my Menta's death (my eyes still tear up thinking about her) about 3 years ago, two things really helped me. One commit to donating in her name to a cat shelter (even if it was not a big amount by any means) knowing that I am helping other kitties in her name, if not money then time or food.

And the second one was adopt 2 cats, I first I felt like an a**hole, felt I was replacing her, and filt guilty as sh*t. But the community here made me see that it is not replacing, it is giving another kitty the opportunity of a new life, a good life. I went from thinking it was selfish to seeing how it was not, it was about helping two otherwise homless kittens.

And I have to say I am sooooo glad I got them, I love them with all my heart, will they ever replace Menta, no. But they have their own special place and they make me a better person.

PS I still donate a small amount in the name of Menta and Tailandita (a ran over dog I picked up tried to save but couldn't) to shelters. It is not the amount or how much time it is the giving that opens your heart and helps you heal.