New Here. Cat with amputated back leg...grooming question

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I will check out that site. It's a clever name too : )

Another thing I'm dealing with, with Thump. She was a stray kitten, so never used a litter box. Then she was a kitten with what was probably a very painful recovery, having an amputated leg...and put into a cage with a feed bowl and a small litter box....which she probably had to painfully figure out how to get to, and being off balance, in pain...to use it.

I'm basing this on the fact that the first week I got her she was peeing and pooping outside the litter box. Fortunately, she was at least confining that to the utility room where there is sheet vinyl flooring that can be cleaned up and sanitized...and she wasn't going anywhere else in the house.

I think she watched, or smelled...probably both, Song's activity with the litter box and Thump started to pee in it, but was still pooing outside of it. She finally started to do both, however, at the time I was using clumping litter and if there were more than 3 lumps in there, she would poo outside the box. I also noticed if the litter was too deep she poo outside the box...so there was a balance thing going on there too.

It's been about a year now since I got her and now I'm only finding poo about once a wee...so compared to where she started...it's been a vast improvement. I have tried different litters and am now using wood pellet litter. Oh, yeah, at one point I tried 2 litter boxes but that didn't really seem to change things that much.

So, yeah, I'll check out that site and see how others fair with their tripod kitties.

Again, thanks for the link

Stormy
Oh poor Thump- such a rough start- I'm so happy she has you,she deserves the wonderfully life you have given her-,a life filled with love- God Bless you!

Have you ever tried Ultra- it's a litter attractant made by DrElsy,definitely a winner ....I have used it to litter train ferals and they are very attracted to it,might help some more -plus keeping the box meticulously clean,like after every single use....I know it's alot of work but until they don't ever go outside the box it has to stay that clean....if you decide to try extra boxes again then the Ultra will surely help attract Thump to the new boxes,then at least when one is not so appealing ( maybe has a soiled spot) then there'll be other choices better thsn the floor

Hope that helps,,it's a very good product-even for re-training due to sudden litter box avoidances

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kwik, thanks for the information on the cat litter attractant. I might end up trying it. I keep hoping though that Thump will eventually use the box all the time.

She was doing it every day on the floor for almost a month after I got her. She's now only doing it like once a week. With luck, this winter while the floor is really cold, maybe she will think the litter in the box will be more comfortable to stand on while she's going. I'm just glad she's not peeing and/or pooping in other areas of the house.

Stormy

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik, thanks for the information on the cat litter attractant. I might end up trying it. I keep hoping though that Thump will eventually use the box all the time.

She was doing it every day on the floor for almost a month after I got her. She's now only doing it like once a week. With luck, this winter while the floor is really cold, maybe she will think the litter in the box will be more comfortable to stand on while she's going. I'm just glad she's not peeing and/or pooping in other areas of the house.

Stormy
Yes of course,you're very welcome-also you really need a good cleaner specificslly made to remove the scent left behind where Thump soiled- I found a terrific product "infinity shields pet pro"- I love the fact that you needn't rinse after use and completely eliminates odor- it's the scent you and I cannot smell but cats can thst keeps them returning to the same spot

It's gotta be hard to not turn a blind eye(& nose- lol) with Thump after all he's been through but leaving litter box issues to resolve itself is very unlikely- so he needs a little help❤🤗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kwik, Thanks for the info on that product.

What I've been doing is spraying a tiny bit of Clorox foaming spray on the area after I pick the solids up...this is to sterilize the area. After I wipe up the Clorox, I then use a product called Skout's Honor which is a super nice odor remover. I first bought it for removing skunk odor from my house when AU had a run in with a skunk. I was absolutely amazed at how instantly that stuff worked. : )

It said on the bottle that it also worked to eliminate urine and fecal odors too. I bought the bottle at a local farm and ranch store. But I see that that they also make a product specifically for litter box odors. I use a little baking soda in the litter box, so I doubt I'll ever get the litterbox-only spray.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik, Thanks for the info on that product.

What I've been doing is spraying a tiny bit of Clorox foaming spray on the area after I pick the solids up...this is to sterilize the area. After I wipe up the Clorox, I then use a product called Skout's Honor which is a super nice odor remover. I first bought it for removing skunk odor from my house when AU had a run in with a skunk. I was absolutely amazed at how instantly that stuff worked. : )

It said on the bottle that it also worked to eliminate urine and fecal odors too. I bought the bottle at a local farm and ranch store. But I see that that they also make a product specifically for litter box odors. I use a little baking soda in the litter box, so I doubt I'll ever get the litterbox-only spray.
You're very welcome- be careful with Clorox products please-be sure there's no bleach as its toxic and bad for cats(& humans) to breathe in---- they are so much more sensitive to irritants than we are

I just threw out half of the products I clean with- something in this house has been giving my Max problems( his eyes)- trying to pinpoint what it is is mind blowing so I decided to can just about EVERYTHING & be sure to get fragrance free & pet safe products only from here on out