New here and sad; had to rehome my MC due to redirected aggression

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are a very loving and conscientious cat mama, you did all you could and ensured your kitty found a new home. I am so sorry you and your beloved cat experienced this and I am sure you will have a happy, cat filled home again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuscany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for saying that. I miss my MC so much. It’s been like 6 weeks and I am still crying. I know she is in a nice big house living with a couple who supposedly always wanted a MC and she is no doubt being loved and treated well and for that I am so relieved.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To be clear, I wasn't saying all Maine Coons or mixes are aggressive. They can be very affectionate and gentle, especially with their people. Nobel is the best cat ever for when I was doing homedaycare.

You are correct in thinking that space and stress were all a factor in the deferred aggression. They can be territorial, which can also be a factor. All cats can have deffered aggression when ill and as a pure breed they can be more prone to illnesses.

Why I say not a MC or MC mix is for your own stress. This happened to you and you both (you and cat), found it hard to bounce back from. You may find with a similar looking or similar built cat that you have a natural level of stress there. The cat will pick up on that and be stressed.

You may always have sadness about rehoming your cat. I hope you can see photos etc of her over her life in her new home. It might bring comfort. Be patient with yourself. You did well by both of you. You rehomed her somewhere safe and loving. That took strength at the decision level and when the time came to proceed. Six weeks isn't a long time to mourn that relationship. Please go easy on yourself. You mentioned you're taking time to process and rest and that's excellent. ❣

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuscany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To be clear, I wasn't saying all Maine Coons or mixes are aggressive. They can be very affectionate and gentle, especially with their people. Nobel is the best cat ever for when I was doing homedaycare.

You are correct in thinking that space and stress were all a factor in the deferred aggression. They can be territorial, which can also be a factor. All cats can have deffered aggression when ill and as a pure breed they can be more prone to illnesses.

Why I say not a MC or MC mix is for your own stress. This happened to you and you both (you and cat), found it hard to bounce back from. You may find with a similar looking or similar built cat that you have a natural level of stress there. The cat will pick up on that and be stressed.

You may always have sadness about rehoming your cat. I hope you can see photos etc of her over her life in her new home. It might bring comfort. Be patient with yourself. You did well by both of you. You rehomed her somewhere safe and loving. That took strength at the decision level and when the time came to proceed. Six weeks isn't a long time to mourn that relationship. Please go easy on yourself. You mentioned you're taking time to process and rest and that's excellent. ❣

Thank you for your kind words and support. I know you were not painting all MCs with the same brush. And I also agree with what you said about not getting another MC or MC mix in the future owing to the past experiences with the MC I just rehomed. My apartment is pretty small and while I miss having a cat to look after I am not looking to adopt right now. I agree with what you said about the cat picking up on my stress levels and being in a small space was not helping the situation.

I have not had any further updates on my cat but I assume all is well as I would probably hear if it was not. As much as I would love to get a current picture of her in her new home I think it would also make me miss her more. But I truly believe she needed more space and now she supposedly has a really big house to run around in. And her foster family “always wanted a MC” so I don’t think she could be in a better place.

Again thank you so much for your responses. Everyone on here has been so supportive and it has really helped me.