New here and sad; had to rehome my MC due to redirected aggression

Tuscany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need to preface this with a big thank you as I have been reading threads as a guest for the past month. So much valuable information.

I have grown up with cats. My mom always had multiple cats and my sister usually had two. Both unfortunately have passed, my sister at a very young age from bc. But I digress.

A month ago I had to rehome my beloved MC. She has redirected aggression issues and the last one was pretty awful. I moved last June from NYC to CT and thought she would be so much less stressed without the constant blaring of NYC noise. A few weeks before the move last year she had an incident that I believe led to PTSD. I have always been so careful to never leave bags lying around, I always keep the toilet seat down (I read once that if cats fall in they often cannot get out because they cannot grip porcelain), etc. My apartment was cat proofed. But last spring I had one of those reusable shopping bags looped over a doorknob as I was getting ready to bring some items out for recycling.

My mobile rang and I went to answer it. In that moment my MC pulled the bag down onto her head and started frantically running around the apartment. It only lasted a few momenta and the bag flew off her head quickly. She did not run into anything or injure herself. She did not get stuck in the handles. It all happened so quickly, like less than a minute. I had a 500 sq foot apartment and ran across the living room area. I picked the bag up and noticed that it had a lot of saliva in it so I knew my poor cat had been scared. She then ran into the bathroom and jumped into the sink and started howling and crying. She hissed at me and so I left her alone to decompress. It took her five days to calm down. I called my vet numerous times. Tried gabapentin flavored, unflavored and in caplets/powder but she would not eat it.

She corned me a few times and for several nights I did not sleep because she kept approaching me in an aggressive manner. She would block me when I tried to come out of the shower etc. I was also stressed because I had sold my apartment and was trying to figure out where I would live, had to buy a car, plan a move, get a closing date, etc all of which very likely played into my cat picking up on my anxiety and I know this impacted her.

At the end of 5 days she finally returned to her sweet self and I thought with relief that we could put this episode behind us. Even though she was extremely aggressive during that time she never intentionally attacked me. She would hiss at me when I walked by and eventually come over to where I was in my apartment (I was working remote since March 2020) but then sitting next to me she would look at me and hiss so I woukd pick my lap top up and move to another spot in the apartment.

She and I moved in mid-June last yr. With the help of some friends we got her in her crate (no easy task) and took her to the new place so that she would not be in my tiny apartment on moving day. This was on a Sun. I spent Sun night with my cat in the new place and left her Monday morning to go back into the city. My friends in CT visited her Mon and Tues the day of the move they got her into the bathroom and a few hrs later I was there with the movers and the move went well! No incidents. New place has 3 Feliway diffusers for a tiny 1 bedroom 680 sft apartment and so quiet.

Friends came over to see the new place, some slept over and my MC was great the whole time. She seemed like she was so happy. I work from home FT now (my company lets me) so she and I spent a lot of time together. This cat was not left alone for long periods of time. So how did it go so very wrong??

February was a difficult month for me. My cousin died of cancer (after keeping the diagnosis a secret) so I was extremely upset when I found out. Then in early March I caught covid (yes I was vaxxed, yes I was boosted) but thankfully it seemed more like just a bad head cold. As far as I know my MC did not catch covid but I was careful not to cough and sneeze around her.

So right before April of this yr I remember how we are coming up to that bag incident last yr and I think wow we have really worked thru it things seem really good and my cat seems to really like the new place. She has more windows to look out of, new places to perch, I take breaks from work during the day and play with her with a wand/feather toy which she adored.

Sure enough, in very early April, another redirected aggressive incident occurs. This time my MC somehow gets the string part of the wand toy caught in one of her hind legs. I hear this frantic running around again like what happened last yr and see the look of intense fear in my cat’s face. She jumps up on the counter top in the kitchen and as quick as I can I grab a pair of scissors and cut the string so the toy breaks apart and I hope she will not be upset.

What happened next I never could have imagined. She was howling and yowling and hissing. I tried to remain calm and leave her alone. She was staring at me intently and on top of a desk. I took a shower, and was going about my business trying hard to remain calm and let her decompress. I watched tv, straightened up my apt, talked on the phone, etc for about 3 hrs. She continued to howl, yowl, hiss, on and off but then she jumped off the desk, jumped into a chest in front of my couch were I was sitting, ears flat back, fur up, pupils dialated and lunged for me, full on attack. I grabbed a big pillow and was able to block her/push her away and she scampered into the bedroom. At that point I grabbed my phone and called animal control. They came over, got her in her crate and I was a mess.

I contacted PAWS which worked with a cat fostering program and my cat was rehomed. She became a “foster fail” and found a new home very quickly (she is a beautiful, purebread torbie, 4.5 yrs, healthy, spayed, shots all current, etc). Needless to say I am a wreck, miss her terribly and don’t understand how things went sideways in such a short amount of time. And now I am afraid of cats. I miss my cat so much, but I think maybe my place was too small for a MC, I was too stressed and the cat knew it. I loved my cat, I would never hurt her. I cannot believe she associates me with someone who would hurt her.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so so sorry this happened to you.

I can't really help unpack all that happened but I think you're on to something here;
I was too stressed and the cat knew it.
If this is something you'd want to consider, maybe in the future you could volunteer at an animal rescue where things would be in a controlled environment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuscany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was thinking about volunteering. I miss being around a cat. I need to get my footing back around cats. And my aunt and a few of my friends mentioned that both my places were very small and that my cat was picking up on my stress. Also I was told from friends who live in larger spaces, especially homes, that when their cat gets stressed it goes to a room or part of the house no one else goes in. My cat might have felt she had no safe spot, although it breaks my heart to think my cat saw me in those moments as potential causing her harm. But by all accounts she is now living in a big beautiful house with her own room and her foster family loves her, I was told they always wanted a MC. So it had a happy ending for my cat although I do feel like I failed my cat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes stress is incredibly challenging to control, especially during these past couple of years, for all of us. You might look into yoga or something like that to help.

I personally think that she was reacting more to the stress/emotions, than to you yourself.

Down the road, there are ways to make your house seem larger for a cat like wall shelves for them to climb, and also music and calming products and methods available.

You'll be ok, I can tell :heartshape:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how things go, we would love to hear from you whatever path you decide upon :heartshape:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. So sorry, though, for the sad circumstances that brought you here. The incidents with your MC sound scary, so it's no wonder you've developed a fear of cats. I hope in time you can get over it, and maybe adopt another cat some day.

As for your MC, glad she was able to be fostered, and now has a new home. That at least must be a relief for you, knowing she's ok. 🤗

Tuscany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am relieved that she is ok, but a good friend of mine is friends with the woman who runs the local cat rehoming group with PAWS so I was extremely lucky to be able to find a foster for my cat in record time. I was also very upfront about my cat’s aggression issues. Yes she is a beautiful cat but she does have the potential to flip and I wanted to make that clear. I spoke with the breeder who was very nice and she said maybe the cat had some kind of chemical imbalance. I have no idea but she was up to date on her medicals.

I cannot imagine not having a cat so I hope to eventually adopt/rescue a cat (but not in the near future). And my apartment feels so empty without my cat. If she had not intentionally lunged for me I would have kept her but I was too scared she might have an episode while I was sleeping and attack me at night. That was unnerving. I have had cats in my life since I was a little kid, never had any fear of cats, so this has really hit me hard. This site has been very educational though and I have learned a lot.

I guess my next question on the threads would be how can you assess whether a cat will be aggressive with you when you are looking to adopt but I am nowhere near that point right now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something I noticed a while back that you could consider, is if you can find a cat-only rescue/shelter that has an open environment and allows mingling with the cats (especially now that covid restrictions are beginning to ease). I found that if I just sat down and waited quietly, I would usually have one or two cats who would deliberately choose me. I think this could be an indicator of compatibility.

Granted, that is occurring there in an environment where the cat has spent enough time to be possibly be a little more at ease. To help with the transition of adoption, we have useful articles addressing things such as what to do when bringing a new cat home, kitten proofing your home, how to make your home feel larger for your cat etc.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-090208.gif
Tuscany, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
IMG_3647.GIF
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with everything Furballsmom Furballsmom ballsmom said.
Once you become more comfortable, perhaps aft volunteering with then for a bit, you could try fostering. Then, when one clicks with you, you can have your own foster fail.

Deferred aggression can happen especially in Maine Coons. Due to our neighbours letting their cat roam into our yard, Nobel had deferred aggression on to me years ago and he's only half Maine Coon. I actually had to go to the hospital because of it and have scars on my arm. We have recovered and our relationship recovered. He continued to have episodes until the cat moved away with owners.

I would suggest though, to try not to get a MC mix and to get a cat or pair of cats who are well socialized with other animals. Lily was well socialized and she never had an issue with another animal coming around... though it was also her temperament.

(Side note....to think of all the medical and behavioral issues I've managed over 16+ years of cat ownership, sitting and volunteering is mind-blowing sometimes!)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome! I am so sorry that such a sad outcome brought you here. I, too, think that volunteering would be wonderful for you and a lot of cats who need a little love in their lives. Take your time, don't push things, and I'll bet you know when the time and the cat are both right. Meanwhile, you can live vicariously through our cats!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry this happened to you! Hope things work out better in the future.

Reminder for the rest of us to be careful with those bags. People are going to leave them out, and I'm sure others will have problems too. I've never had lasting problems, but I've had stuff broken by "parachute runs" and I've had it happen with paper as well as plastic bags.

Tuscany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with everything Furballsmom Furballsmom ballsmom said.
Once you become more comfortable, perhaps aft volunteering with then for a bit, you could try fostering. Then, when one clicks with you, you can have your own foster fail.

Deferred aggression can happen especially in Maine Coons. Due to our neighbours letting their cat roam into our yard, Nobel had deferred aggression on to me years ago and he's only half Maine Coon. I actually had to go to the hospital because of it and have scars on my arm. We have recovered and our relationship recovered. He continued to have episodes until the cat moved away with owners.

I would suggest though, to try not to get a MC mix and to get a cat or pair of cats who are well socialized with other animals. Lily was well socialized and she never had an issue with another animal coming around... though it was also her temperament.

(Side note....to think of all the medical and behavioral issues I've managed over 16+ years of cat ownership, sitting and volunteering is mind-blowing sometimes!)
I never knew this was a thing with MCs (aggression), especially as they are known as Gentle Giants. The idea of never owning another cat is hard for me so I so think I will eventually get another cat but it is not something I see in the near term. And I love MCs but yes I agree with you about a cat that is not a MC or MC mix. I never realized how common cat attacks were until
I started googling and taping Jackson Galaxy. Maybe I was just lucky prior to this most recent cat. Who was a doll except when she wasn’t…

Anyway thanks again for your suggestions.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are right, and MCs are known for being gentle giants. However, no matter what the "breed norm" is, each and every cat is a distinct personality. Your baby was just outside of standard, for whatever reason. There is no reason to think that another MC would have similar issues, either. Sending hugs your way, I know how badly you much be hurting.

Tuscany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kindness. I am still so upset over having to rehome my MC. I have had or been around MCs for the past 25 yrs I thought I knew the breed really well. I cannot imagine not having a cat ever again regardless of the breed but for now I don’t have any plans to adopt anytime soon. I am hoping housing prices fall and I can buy something where there will be more space (renting for now) and once I am settled in then maybe I will get in touch with rescue groups and explore getting another cat. Again thank you for your kind words this site has been a great resource for me.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never knew this was a thing with MCs (aggression), especially as they are known as Gentle Giants. The idea of never owning another cat is hard for me so I so think I will eventually get another cat but it is not something I see in the near term. And I love MCs but yes I agree with you about a cat that is not a MC or MC mix. I never realized how common cat attacks were until
I started googling and taping Jackson Galaxy. Maybe I was just lucky prior to this most recent cat. Who was a doll except when she wasn’t…

Anyway thanks again for your suggestions.
It isn't a Maine Coon trait at all. Or for any cat breed for that matter. I'd take that comment with a grain of salt.

All cats can display redirected aggression for a myriad of reasons. One of our cats once scratched the cornea of our other cat, who she was bonded with, due to seeing a stray cat outside. She lashed out only because he unfortunately, was sitting right near her.

I'm sorry for your experience and it sounds to me like there was an underlying health issue unrelated to breed or socialization. Some cats, like people, are just wired differently. The brain is still a big mystery in many ways.