New here and just adopted a sweetheart with a shortish fuse

zipzipinkspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear folks,
First, a thank you. Before I joined because of our new kitty, had read such helpful advice about kitties with congestive heart failure...darling Muffin passed away but between our vet and your advice, her last days were more comfortable.

A long-time kitty lover who fostered many a kitty years ago, right now I have Ladybug, an 8-year-old shy tuxedo shorthair. Sweet, hiss-free, gentle as they come, but prefers attention on her own terms...she'll nap with you when she's ready. She is not a dominant kitty, either.

We just adopted "Alice". Still working on a name. She's around 2, a sort-of long-haired mackerel tabby with white paws and tummy. She'd been rescued from starvation and had lost a good bit of fur from fleas/parasites. Her thin little body is going to be a work in progress for a while.

In the shelter she was so very gentle, kissing me, and falling asleep in my lap, head in my hand, allowing me to hold her like a baby. She was also quiet, not a front-of-the-cage greeter. I visited twice and spent lots of time observing her before deciding she was gentle enough for our family.

Here at home she is in one room as we slowly get her acclimated and introduce her to Ladybug. We're on day 2 of a week or so's process.

My question: she is very affectionate, wants to be on me or close by, and chirrups hello, and understands"no". Clearly grew up loved. Yet she seems to get over-stimulated rapidly. She will bat, play bite, or bunny-kick my hand when she's ready to be let alone, and has hissed twice. Normally I'd use her tail as a guide, but it's going almost all the time in a soft flapping, unless she is asleep. Otherwise, she is very relaxed, and was bathing herself within 20 minutes of being home.

Haven't had this behavior in years and then only in fosters. All four other furbabies let me clean and hold and massage their paws, wanted their tummies stroked...were entirely trusting, life-long.

Is the batting part of her acclimating, especially knowing there is another cat somewhere outside the bedroom door? How long must I wait and work with her, do you think, before we figure out whether she's short-tempered or just needing to slowly acclimate?

Am concerned only because we have twin boys, 9, who only know entirely gentle kitties. They'll know to be careful, but still...

Very best,
Natalie in KY

Very best,

Natalie

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my experience, I let cats tell me when enough is enough when it comes to petting them. It works out for everybody. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zipzipinkspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! That's what I am doing. Hoping she is just settling in and working out the nerves, tho she seems pretty laid-back and unafraid of her surroundings.

Very best,
Natalie