New here and I need advice

danastnsn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had two cats now for around a year and a Pomerania all three are male. I just got a new cat who has a lot of insecurities apparently. I took her out of the crate when we got home and everything seemed to be going fine. I took her to the door to show my husband and she clawed me and ran and hid. First she just hid under shome shelves that I had but now she is back behind my furnace. If I try to get her out she scratches me. I'm afraid I might have traumatised her without meaning to. I got her away from the heater but should I just leave her hiding there? I really want her to feel comfortable around us. No one is aggressive towards her they will walk off as if they are bored but she attacks everyone. What should I do. I am her third owner so I know she is probably insecure about that but giving her away is not an option.

lexiegirlblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had cats and dogs all my life.  In response to your question give the cat time to come to you.  I had a cat thrusted on me by a pet store and they told me he needed me.  I already had Porsche (silver tabby) and Diz (the cat thrusted upon me) hid in the fireplace for about a week as it turned out in the end Porsche and Diz became best buddies.  Just give the cat time to come to you.  It will work out just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danastnsn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did eat tuna fish out (only thing wet I have in the house) (She wont eat hard food around us) on the floor right by me but the whole time she made this revving type noise (didnt sound frendly) if I tried to toucher he she would get angry also if she heard the dog. I am just afraid that since she was terrified of the other dog that she wont ever come out of hiding like she did at the other home. I want her to feel comfortable enough to roam the house. I am also looking into making my back deck a catio since I cant let the cats outside due to my allergies. It seems when they stay inside I'm fine but recently one of my boys got outside and I watched him roll in the dirt now my eyes and nose are making me miserable.

lexiegirlblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't push the cat let it get used to the surroundings and you.  I do not know how your dog is, but I will tell about mine he is a BIG red and white siberian husky and thinks Princess Elise is his sister even though she is 1/10th his size.  Time, patience and tolerance will win the day.  Also about the dry food try putting some chicken broth on it.  Princess Elise loves it and it helps with upper respiratory problems too.  I feed mine organic, but any chicken broth will do.  Another thing you might try (Elise) hangs out on my bed and I will bring food and an extra plate for her to eat.  She will sit with me and I will put food from my plate on to her plate.  She especially likes lamb, rib eye steak, lobster and shrimp.  She wasn't too crazy about spaghetti, but it is all a give and take situation.  My point is with love, tolerance, patience and understanding your beautiful cat will come to love you dearly.  I have had Princess Elise for almost a year and we have an unbreakable bond.  It wasn't easy from the get go, but we are there now as you will be with your beautiful cat.

danastnsn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Large step today i think i went to the furnace area she is hiding in and she meowed friendly like at me. I put some food back there and some water for her. She only hissed at me when it looked like i was going to grab her. I have a small pom who is terrified of his own shadow and has seperation anxiety so for the most part he gives all the cats space. If they are on my bed his is under it if they go under he goes upstairs. He can only tolerate aspen cause he is mellow and likes to snuggle. The previous owners got a bull mast if one year after getting her and decided they wanted the dog. The dog would force her to hide in a closet and I don't want that with her here.

lexiegirlblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds great.  Before you know it she will be you're totally devoted companion.  A little secret they love to be talked to and sung to.  When I come home I sing through the window to Princess Elise.  Who is that kitten in the window, who is that beautiful baby girl?  Oh I know your that kitten in the window you're my beautiful baby girl. 

I don't know your cat or the circumstances how she came to you.  I'm glad she did.  Princess Elise is part feral and I was told when I adopted her that if she bit I could not bring her back and I looked them dead in the eyes and told them she is not coming back.  She is my baby girl.  You will have that with your cat it just takes time, love and patience.

danastnsn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She finally came to me and let me pet her in my lap. That was until my pom came to find me. Then he scared her and himself.