New Here. 13yr Old Cat Diagnosed With Lymphoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

New here and was looking around on the web about info on chemo for cats. We have 2 tabby cats (brothers) that are rescues and recently (about 2 weeks ago) noticed one of our cats Cosmo hiding in different places. He doesn't have much of an appetite. We noticed he is getting thinner. So we took him to the vet and after an xray first, then an untrasound, he has a mass near his kidney and after a biopsy it is Lymphoma. The vet said it had spread to his lymph nodes. I have read good and bad. Some folks say make him comfortable until he passes. Some say find out what kind of Lymphoma? Small cell GI or large cell? If it's small cell and even if it's advanced, chemo could really help. Today has been a really good interesting day . He is acting more active and he came in the room where I am and he's been rubbing on me and purring. He even ate a little. He's been meowing. He's even been grooming himself. I have mixed emotions on what is my next move. The vet is checking on chemo treatment. So thought I would ask here and get some opinions. Here's a picture of him from a couple days ago.
Cos7.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, first off, I'm so sorry you and your handsome little guy and now having to deal with this :alright: :frown:

Second, there are several people and cats here on TCS who've been thru both Small Cell and Large Cell Lymphoma. Naturally, small cell is the better of the two options, and has a longer survival rate, but we actually had one cat here on this site with Large Cell who lived four and one half years after chemo, and he didn't even end up dying from the Lymphoma! Granted, he was not the norm, but still!

So now I have a question for you. You said they already did a biopsy. With that, they cannot tell you whether it is small or large cell? I don't profess to know that much about it, but I thought that was one reason for a biopsy, to make that determination. What else can they do in order to let you know? Are they sending you to an oncologist?

Anyway, there are many, many threads on both small and large cell here on this site. Here is just one, but I must warn you, the cat that was in the original post did NOT make it, however, I am posting this because there are several good mentions throughout this thread that I thought might help you: Lymphoma

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear the news about Cosmo, he looks so handsome, pretty green eyes!
I would suggest you find out if it is small cell or large cell lymphoma first (if possible, some tests are not conclusive). If it is small cell you still have a chance to do chemo or other treatments. If it is large cell then you'll have to make a decision: to put him through chemo to get a few more months or to make his life comfortable during that time. Our cat was diagnosed with large cell lymphoma last year, we had already decided not to put him through chemo because of the stress it would cause him. Three weeks after his diagnosis he was gone. Now, looking back, I am glad we did not put him through that stress, that would have not been successful anyway and the outcome would have been probably the same. We asked ourselves the question: what would he choose if he could? the answer was no treatment, he was a wild cat after all, hated pills, hated going to the vet, free as a bird... We did give him prednisolone and anti-nausea medicine during that time though, which might have alleviated some of the symptoms.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - in the meantime, here are some ideas for food; tuna, tuna juice, goat milk, sardines, kitten food, kitten milk replacer homemade or bought, no sodium/garlic/onion broth, baby food with no onion or garlic.
felinecrf . org --while the specific disease is different, some of the nutrition information that is provided could prove to be useful.
I'm so glad you found this site. I'm so very very sorry you're going through this, but as you've noticed above, there are incredible people here who will be able to answer your questions. I can't ease your heart but I'm sending LOADS of supportive thoughts your way.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree in that a biopsy would have already shown whether small or large.
BIG difference.
Small cells respond extremely well to treatment, and the chemo is nothing like we humans have to go through, in fact I remember the first Leukeran pill I had to give my girl, you would never have known it, no side effects what-so-ever.
It is expensive too, just know what you'll be facing if you choose to treat him with chemo.
So your first step is to find out which it is you're dealing with :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses and kind words. One thing I forgot to mention, is he does have a mass near his kidney. He is still using the litter box both 1 and 2. Not much mind you because his appetite is next to nothing. Yesterday however he was acting close to his old self. Following me around, even came in the room with me rubbing on me, purring and being very vocal. Then he laid down not far from me for quite some time. However I went out and came beck and he's back to hiding and sleeping.

I am guessing he will need the mass removed which in his weakened state would be fatal. Not sure what I will do. I'm going to find out of its small or large cell first. And what treatment options the vet suggests. Thanks again for the replies/suggestions you all. I really appreciate them

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hated it when my little girl found odd random spots to nap, it hurt my heart, every day of her life she slept next to me, both of us on our sides with my arm around her plush little soft self, towards the end I could sit up while in bed and see she had gotten down and was laying alone in the dark hallway, face towards the wall, just the memory of it while telling you hurts my heart terribly still.
I guess it's what they need to do.....:sniffle:

Its super important right now to get calories in to him in any form he will take. If he likes human food bites go for it, even a bite here and there helps.
My kidney girl likes cut up spam so she gets it and anything else she will take in between and it's really helped a lot.

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cos is doing the same. He is hiding and laying with his face toward the wall. I'm used to him sleeping with me. I miss him but I understand. I wake up at night and I call him and talk to him. I know he hears me so I leave him be. He eats a little shredded ham and drinks some water. Very little. Still waiting to hear from the vet/oncologist.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it turns out to be small cell and you can afford it, go for it. But remember, it just basically buys time, and you put the poor cat through a lot. I have had cats with different types of cancer put on prednisone and it prolonged their life in my mind just as long as chemo, up to a year. It definitely helps them to be more comfortable. I had the person at the front desk ask me once when I was reordering it "this can cause kidney failure with long term use" I replied that he was dying, if it made him feel better he was getting it.
My heart goes out to you. This is going to be a tough decision, and no matter which way you decide, it will bring doubt and guilt into your life because that is the nature of grief. Just love that little one as long as you can, that is the most important thing to him right now, you are his everything. May you be blessed for loving and caring so much. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just happen to be here on the site and saw your reply. Thanks so much. You understand as others here do. Definitely helps me deal with it. His brother is laying right here on his back without a care in the world. I understand I have a tough decision coming. I really needed yesterday. He was almost his old self. I understand it is what it is. I just don't want him to suffer just so I can have him for a few more months. I'll cross that bridge when I get to though. Thanks again I really appreciate your thought and prayers.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few food suggestions that might entice him at least a little.
Tuna of course, and the water.
Chicken or turkey baby food warmed
Lunch meat
Kentucky fried chicken believe it or not.....
or rotisserie chicken from grocery store already cooked
temptation treats
Fortiflora helps if you sprinkle some on top of anything
Nutrical is good and will help. If he struggles with that squirt it on his arm, he will lick it clean.

Last thing you need is his liver to shut down which happens when they take in less than 50% of usual calories daily. That is an emergency, expensive and hard on them, it takes months to fix and can be fatal. Lack of calories to use causes system to use his stored body fat, liver gets bombarded with processing this fat and decides to shut down.

Not to scare you just information to give you knowledge :)

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks ! Just made a document out of it and printing it out. He does eat little bits of the rotisserie chicken. But today he hasn't eaten anything but just a nibble of hamburger. Really worried. Going to try again to get him to eat something. Thanks a bunch !!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to help :)
There is a new kind of "treat" that just came out that might be a big help too, but darn it I can't think of the name of it!
Bet if you asked at any pet supply store they would know though, it is is long tubes like those kid's go-gurts and is liquid/gel like that they will lick off as you squeeze. My girl went crazy over it like it was kitty crack.
Read other's ratings/comments and it seems they all go nuts for them!

Edit-Found them, made by Applaws and called Puree' treats. Grain free all natural with simple ingredients, the chicken ingredients-Chicken broth, Chicken, Potato starch, Natural chicken flavor, Natural fish flavor, Locust bean gum, Chicken broth, Chicken, Potato starch, Natural chicken flavor, Natural fish flavor, Locust bean gum
Tuna flavor is-Tuna broth, Tuna, Potato starch, Natural fish flavor, Locust bean gum, Tuna broth, Tuna, Potato starch, Natural fish flavor, Locust bean gum

Last edited:

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok awesome ! I'll check on it tomorrow. Just tried to get him to eat a piece of chicken. No luck. Poor fella. I'm hoping maybe something new will help. Thanks again !

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear the news about Cosmo, he looks so handsome, pretty green eyes!
I would suggest you find out if it is small cell or large cell lymphoma first (if possible, some tests are not conclusive). If it is small cell you still have a chance to do chemo or other treatments. If it is large cell then you'll have to make a decision: to put him through chemo to get a few more months or to make his life comfortable during that time. Our cat was diagnosed with large cell lymphoma last year, we had already decided not to put him through chemo because of the stress it would cause him. Three weeks after his diagnosis he was gone. Now, looking back, I am glad we did not put him through that stress, that would have not been successful anyway and the outcome would have been probably the same. We asked ourselves the question: what would he choose if he could? the answer was no treatment, he was a wild cat after all, hated pills, hated going to the vet, free as a bird... We did give him prednisolone and anti-nausea medicine during that time though, which might have alleviated some of the symptoms.
Thanks for the kind words. Seems the vets take the day off every other day around here !! But she is a nice lady and did say she would check with an oncologist. When she did the oncologist was off. I forgot to ask her about the small cell/large cell lymphoma. I will tomorrow. Cos stays in hiding now. I give him his pain medicine and he wanders out and gets a small drink of water and he may lick a little gravy off his food. I have tried so many different type of food it's unreal. Still trying some of the suggestions made here in this thread. Thanks for thinking of Cos. My heart breaks every second of this ordeal. I am praying I get some kind of good new tomorrow. He won't last much longer the way things are now.

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spoke with the Vet doctor and Cos has the large cell lymphoma so. We talked about a some option but they have varying minimal results and are thousands of $$$. I'll just make him as comfortable as I can for as long as I can. Not the news I was hoping for. :(

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spoke with the Vet doctor and Cos has the large cell lymphoma so. We talked about a some option but they have varying minimal results and are thousands of $$$. I'll just make him as comfortable as I can for as long as I can. Not the news I was hoping for. :(
So sorry to hear this... I know how devastating this is. You and Cosmo are in my thoughts, hang in there, treat each special moment with him as a treasure. He is loved and that's what counts.

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this... I know how devastating this is. You and Cosmo are in my thoughts, hang in there, treat each special moment with him as a treasure. He is loved and that's what counts.
Thank you very much I appreciate it. They gave me some Prednisone which I just gave him his first does of. Also gave him some pain medication. He seems to be doing okay at the moment.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry it's Large Cell vs Small :hugs:. I suspected that, based on everything you said, but confirmation still hurts :frown:.

Hoping the Pred and pain meds make him feel better and you get a little more quality time together.

Status
Not open for further replies.