New foster still hiding after 16 days

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would give her a try. The alternative is to catch her and put her back in her old space which might be upsetting to her. But if there seems to calm amongst the cats, I would give it a shot and see what happens. The risk is that she may find a different hiding place but I think she is ready to explore.
You know, it never occurred to me that she might be ready to explore. With the magnetic screen up, she can come and go from her old space as she pleases and if she's really out, I can even take that down. There's been nothing stopping her for two weeks from leaving there--except herself. Maybe now I can spend more quality time with her.

When I called home to make sure everything was okay, my mother said that last night she was super relaxed and having a good old time playing with Jasper and even looked like she wanted to jump into my mother's bed.

I've been planning my strategy. I don't mind that she's out at all. Maybe she needs to be around other cats. Judging by her lack of aggression with Loki and Itty when they invade her space, I think she might be used to other cats. I just don't want her up on the 3rd floor. It's too out of the way from the rest of the household and I think it would defeat the purpose right now. The others (including Jasper) have free run of it up there, but I'm going to close the door for a few days and let her get used to the rest of the house. The others will live! And then if she wants to go up there, so be it. That's the quiet place for all of them anyway, so she might as well join them. :)

Maybe she will never be an affectionate, fully socialized cat, but at least she is safe and loved and cared for. If all the cats can live in peace, so much the better. She already has a buddy in Jasper, so I guess we're keeping him too!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since there's no fighting between her and any of the other cats, I'd say let her be and see what happens. Keep us posted.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since there's no fighting between her and any of the other cats, I'd say let her be and see what happens. Keep us posted.
Will do!

My mother said that while she was trying to herd Luna back into her space and Luna was running all over the place, not one of them did anything. They just sat back and watched the show. Poochy did follow her upstairs, but again, nothing happened.

She hasn't met Jenner yet, though. That could be a problem, although when Jasper was first out she just watched him and if he got too close, she growled at him. He got the message and leaves her alone.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I got her off the 3rd floor and it was easier than I thought. I picked her up and put her in the carrier and that was that.

I set her in the hall and opened the door and she wouldn't come out. She's terrified all over again. So I brought her down to the living room and opened the door. Poochy stuck his head in, sniffed and went back to his spot.

Mr. No Boundaries Loki climbed into the carrier with her and while she was still scared she didn't freak out. He sniffed her and even licked her if you can believe that. He was in there for several minutes and when he left she perked up a little. Magic got in a good sniff and didn't even hiss. She's good too.

Edit: Itty's good. She got a good look, sniffed and went back upstairs. One more to go.

Now for Itty and Jenner, who are hiding under the dining room table. But so far so good.

Edit 2: Wow, even Jenner is fine with her. She stuck her head in, then went to her usual spot on the couch.

I'm amazed. My cats have never accepted a new cat so easily.

She's still in the carrier but she doesn't really look scared. She's just watching everything.

Last edited:

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She ended up back in her space that night, but she will sit in the doorway and look out. I took the screen down so everyone can come and go freely. She hasn't left the room yet (as far as I know), but she's thinking about it. Itty slept in there last night and Loki wanders in and out looking for Jasper. No problems at all. I think Loki likes her and he'll be the easiest for her to bond with. They're about the same age and they're both very gentle cats.

She might be wandering at night and I just don't know it. It's only a matter of time now if she hasn't.