New Foster Not Eating Or Using Litter Box!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely sounds likes she's moving in the right direction. Kneading and purring is very good. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Feliway diffuser (the Multicat one) is officially installed - fingers crossed, everyone!

It's weird how Blackjack swings between extremes, it must be the stress. When I first walk into the room, she hisses every time I take a step. Once I pet her a little and talk to her, though, she flips over on her back and gives me the most loving slow blinks. It must be from all the stress, she just reacts to everything with complete terror. Literally, I just walked in the bedroom and she went from hissing at me and not letting me walk to the bed, to now laying on her back in the middle of the floor (she was hiding before), sleeping. I think I might be the only thing she feels safe around in this new place.

I noticed she loves to be talked to, so I've started reading out loud as a way to spend more time in the bedroom with her. She really seems to like it.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Crossing fingers the Feliway helps relax her. :crossfingers: Let us know how things go today.

How long was she alone at your grandmother's place? Maybe everytime you leave, she fears you aren't coming back.

Also, before you open the bedroom door, or walk into the room if the door is open (is she still in the dog crate?) announce your pending arrival, so she won't be shocked when you appear in front of her. This is a recommendation given when people are socializing scared feral cats. Just say something like "Blackjack, I'm home", or "Blackjack, dinner time", or anything really. Just so she recognizes that when she hears your voice, you are the person who will show up.

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea! I've also been giving her treats only when I'm standing up so she starts to make a positive association.

Also... SHE ATE LAST NIGHT, WOOHOO! A little of the wet and a little of the dry! She pooped in her litter box, too, which is great because she's notorious for pooping directly in front of it. I'm chalking that up to issues from her being declawed.

There's another issue now, however. Blackjack is a longhaired cat, and she sheds a LOT. I've been brushing her twice a day, but there are still fur clumps all over my carpet and the room desperately needs a vacuum. I'm not sure how to go about doing it, though, without traumatizing her and erasing all the progress we've made. I have a stand-up vacuum and a Roomba, I'm not sure which would be worse for her. I'm thinking of shutting her in the crate while I do it, but the only litter box she'll use is in there and I don't want to create a negative association that will make her avoid it. I could try to get her into her carrier and put her in another room, but that might be really scary for her as well. Any ideas?

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just hold off on the vacuuming for a while longer, gross as it may seem to you. Most cats are just terrified of the noise and putting her in a carrier may upset her as well. If you really feel you must, I would leave her out and go with the Roomba. As long as she has an up high place to go she may be okay with it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yay! She ate! And pooped! In the litter box! :woo:

You know, I think I'd also try to hold off vacuuming a little bit longer. Some of the excess fur might be due to her being stressed. And, of course, being a long-haired cat. Would a link brush, or lint roller get any of the fur off the carpet?

Is she still in her crate? And, I can't remember, do you have any pets?

Also, does she seem nervous when you stand up over her to give her treats. Another suggestion with ferals is to not loom over them, but to stoop down to their level. So just another thing to keep in mind, if she seems anxious.

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'll try to hold off vacuuming for a few more days. The hard thing is that my boyfriend and I seem to be slightly allergic to her (she's probably producing WAY more dander than she should be due to the state of her coat and stress, also) and we keep waking up with stuffy noses and itchy eyes. I have an air purifier going in the room, which I was just able to turn on today after socializing her to it for the past 2 days. Hopefully that will help.

She's not confined to her crate, I've left it in the room with the door open as a safe space and kept the litter box inside. I have another litter box out, but the one in the crate is the only one she's using. I do have a resident cat, and he has free run of the apartment while she's kept separate in the bedroom. Any time she hears the slightest noise from him beyond the door, she either bolts or starts growling. I was hoping I would be able to open the bedroom door eventually and make my life a little easier, but I'm starting to think that will never be possible just because of how badly she's reacting to the sound and smell of him. He, on the other hand, is purely curious about her, no hostility or fear.

The standing thing is weird, she's perfectly fine if I stand still and will rub all over my legs. It's when I go to take a step that she gets scared. She could be on the other side of the room, and she'll dart over in front of me, hissing, and bat at my feet when I try to walk. It's not every time, but it's happened on a few occasions already. Barefoot versus shoes seems to make no difference.

I do try to be on the floor with her as much as possible, and she always sprawls out, belly-up, and starts napping when I hang out with her (that's my leg in the pic of her doing this - she'll lay right up against me). My own cat doesn't even roll over and show his belly and he's the friendliest and most trusting cat I've ever met!

Attachments

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, of course not! I have a baby gate and everything, I was planning to do the scent swapping, door cracked, whole 9 yards. But I'm starting to think that's just wishful thinking and she's just not a cat that can handle other cats (which is fine, it just means I have to deal some minor annoyances).

I actually just got a little backstory on Blackjack today which explains a lot of her behavior. She was born outside in my aunt's neighbor's yard to a feral mom. The neighbor trapped the kittens and adopted them out, and my aunt adopted Blackjack and gave her to my grandmother (not sure where the declawing happened in this process). So Blackjack essentially spent her early socialization period outside with a feral mom, and then spent her entire life in the same house with the same person (my grandmother), and ZERO interaction with other cats. My grandmother's home life is very... stationary, so no real changes or excitement of any kind. Blackjack probably had the same routine for 5 years. This poor cat has everything working against her, it's no wonder she's so terrified. But under all that stress she's so sweet, she rolls over and purrs and headbutts me so hard she knocks things out of my hands, haha!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sure her feral life beginning explains some, if not all, of her anxious behaviour. Plus, just the complete change from living with your grandmother, to suddenly being with you. She sounds likes a sweetie, though. :catlove:

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've solved the mystery of the "hissing while we try to walk" issue! Blackjack is afraid of pajama pants! It seems to be something about the way the bottoms flap around my feet - if I roll up my pants, she's completely fine. My boyfriend and I wear pajama pants in the house pretty regularly, so it took me a while to figure it out, haha!

She continues to make positive improvements, she's eating more and allowing me to brush her twice a day. The mats on her back end seem to be loosening a little, I may try to cut them off once they're further away from the skin. The de-matting comb posted above works REALLY well, I'm just nervous to really dig in on the harder mats because it seems like it wants to get stuck. The attached pic is how much hair I get off her PER SESSION, it's nuts. I don't think she was grooming herself properly before, but I've noticed her start to groom now, and her fur feels less greasy.

Thanks for following along, everyone. The encouragement and advice greatly appreciated by both me and Blackjack!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Look at all that fur! It's like you brushed out a small cat! Her fur is looking great, btw. :thumbsup:

So glad she's doing better. Maybe when she gets a bit more relaxed, and you're not wearing pj pants, you could carry her into the bathroom, or another room with a door, so you could vacuum her room.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe clear out other animals and people. Let her have the place to explore for a hour. I'm sure you will have results in the litter box. She is stressed out, and needs to know she is loved. You are doing a great job! Thanks for taking her in!
Once she knows the crate is her safe cave, she will figure out what you have planned for her. Some cats are scared of the cave like idea depending on their personality. Other cats love to live in a dark place.
This cat I recently adopted has a dominate personality, loves being out in the open, and is very affectionate/protective of me. Clear everyone out of the area, take a nap nearby to supervise; and let time bond you together. Sorry for the extra info. This is just my opinion.

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Apologies for dropping off the radar! Here's an update on Blackjack:

My grandma was released from the rehab facility after about a month and was able to go home with in-house care. After she had a week to get back on her feet, Blackjack went back home with her. Since being back with my grandma, Blackjack has had no accidents outside her box when before this was a regular occurrence (my grandma's carers help with scooping Blackjack's box). Now that Blackjack is on a higher quality dry food, she's also not vomiting like she used to. My grandma still isn't really able to brush her, so my aunt and I will be coming over to help her with that and make sure Blackjack gets regular grooming and vet care.

While I was fostering her, Blackjack got all her vaccinations and had a dental, and the vet was able to help me shave off the mats I wasn't able to slip on my own. Blackjack actually didn't need to have any teeth pulled, which was shocking to the vet since there was so much tartar built up on her teeth. Some cats really win the genetic lottery when it comes to teeth! She eventually settled to a point where she was out, happy, and chatty in her "safe space" bedroom, and eating regularly and reliably. However, I was never able to progress toward any sort of an introduction between her and my resident cat, as she would freak out hissing and growling at any sign of him, even just sounds or smells. She's definitely happiest back with my grandma in a house she knows.

Attachments

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Apologies for dropping off the radar! Here's an update on Blackjack:

My grandma was released from the rehab facility after about a month and was able to go home with in-house care. After she had a week to get back on her feet, Blackjack went back home with her. Since being back with my grandma, Blackjack has had no accidents outside her box when before this was a regular occurrence (my grandma's carers help with scooping Blackjack's box). Now that Blackjack is on a higher quality dry food, she's also not vomiting like she used to. My grandma still isn't really able to brush her, so my aunt and I will be coming over to help her with that and make sure Blackjack gets regular grooming and vet care.

While I was fostering her, Blackjack got all her vaccinations and had a dental, and the vet was able to help me shave off the mats I wasn't able to slip on my own. Blackjack actually didn't need to have any teeth pulled, which was shocking to the vet since there was so much tartar built up on her teeth. Some cats really win the genetic lottery when it comes to teeth! She eventually settled to a point where she was out, happy, and chatty in her "safe space" bedroom, and eating regularly and reliably. However, I was never able to progress toward any sort of an introduction between her and my resident cat, as she would freak out hissing and growling at any sign of him, even just sounds or smells. She's definitely happiest back with my grandma in a house she knows.
:yess: So glad your grandma is back home. Bless you for all you did, and still are doing. It's great that you and your mom are going to keep up with the grooming.:rock::purr: