New Foster Mom Will Not Use The Litter Box

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I received a new litter of kittens last night from a rescue. There are 6 kittens, 6 days old and a very young thin mom. The mom is very friendly, and very attentive to the babies. They are doing great. I am a little worried about her though. I set up food and litter for her. She has been eating like a horse, and needs the calories. She hasnt used the litter box yet, even though I have placed her in it 3-4 times in the past 24 hours. I dont see or smell anything. Could she be holding her bladder for this long? Thoughts?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible, if she is still a bit stressed. make sure the litter box is close by, but not close to the food and water. Is she drinking? eating wet food? She is nursing so she will need calories and moisture. i would say all the wet food 3 or 4 times a day that she will eat, and leave dry out? If she doesnt use the box tonight or tomorrow at the latest i would ask the vet to check her out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I left dry food out and she has eaten almost 4 cans of wet food today. They are in our guest room. The food is in the bathroom and the litter is on the other side of the bedroom from her bedding. She knows where it is but not using it. Maybe I should move it closer to her and the kittens.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I left dry food out and she has eaten almost 4 cans of wet food today. They are in our guest room. The food is in the bathroom and the litter is on the other side of the bedroom from her bedding. She knows where it is but not using it. Maybe I should move it closer to her and the kittens.
Great that you are giving her the wet food. If she knows where the box is, its in the same room as her and the kittens i would just wait tonight. It may be that she is just still afraid and will use it tonight when the house is quiet. I would make sure that it is in sight of the kittens. she may not want to go somewhere she cant keep her eyes on them?

I wouldnt move it too close, just make sure she can see the kittens. Cats dont like to potty where they eat, or sleep :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im wondering if it smells funny. I used it for my last litter. Do I need a new litter box for each new kitty?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im wondering if it smells funny. I used it for my last litter. Do I need a new litter box for each new kitty?
all cats are different with that. Some will not use a box that another cat has used. May be something to try, a fresh box.