New Foster Kittens

kmwolf563

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a new litter of 3, seven week old foster kittens. I've had them for 2 weeks. They came to me as hissy spitty babies. After about 24 hours, they started to come around. They are eating well, and using the litter box. Last week, the got their first distemper shot, and a dose of Strongid. For about the next 48 hours, one, Cora felt pretty yucky I guess. She vomited once and had diarrhea twice (I think just twice), and ate very little. She drank water, but wasn't very interested in food. She lost 2 ounces. She's back to the weight that she was at the shelter when they went for their shots. On 9/13 they were: Cora- 1-13.5, Caroline 1-9.5 and Calvin 1-14.5. Today 1 week later, they are Cora- 1-13.5, Caroline 1-14 and Calvin 2-2. Cora and Calvin have had no weight gain for 3 days,and Caroline has gained 1/2 ounce each day. I'm feeding the Royal Canin Mother and Babycat dry and canned food. They have been getting 1 small can divided evenly 3 times a day, and a little more before I shut off their lights at 8 pm. Most of the time they eat the wet right up, but don't want any more. Sometimes they don't eat all of it, so I leave it and it will be gone in an hour or so. They are very active, playing and chasing each other. Is it odd that they are a standstill on gaining weight?
Also, They are basically in their kitten room. I bring them out to play in the living room for a few hours each day when I put my resident cats who hiss at them,in another area of our house. They have seen 2 of our cats and there was hissing on both ends. Usually with my fosters without moms, I let the hissing wear itself out, and all is well, but I think with the way they were when they came into the shelter, I'll keep them separate. They still frighten easily.
IMG_0655.JPG

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try with some goats milk for the non growing. Raw if you can find it, but cartooned is OK. Perhaps in part of instead of its water.
Its should be the easiest way to raise her nutrient and calorie amount.

Some nice vitamine paste may also be useful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feed them wet food more often. At their age, they are allowed as much wet food as they want. They should be getting it 4-6 times a day. The dry food is for in between. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmwolf563

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All set now. Finally. Over last weekend, the kittens decided that they didn't want to eat their Royal Canin Babycat canned food. I enticed them by adding a little babyfood meat on top. That worked for a few feedings. Then I remembered that I had some cans of Wellness kitten from a few fosters ago. I put a little of that down, and they thought it was candy!!. So,now a few days later, they are entirely on that for canned. They are eating a whole 3 ounce can between the 3 of them and eating more dry as well. Their weights are good. Cora finally is over 2 pounds!. Barely. 2-0.5 this am. Caroline 2-5 and Calvin 2-8. They go tomorrow for their second distemper shots, and hopefully Cora will do better. Then surgery next Tuesday and up for adoption on Friday