New Foster Hiding

vneidell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I took in a new foster yesterday.  The only back history I have is that about 6 months ago he was part of a feral colony.  My rescue took him and two others in.  They have had him in the cat condos at the center for the last couple of months.  They asked if he could come to my house for a little while so that he could experience living in a home.  At the center, he is a bit skittish, but he is sweet.   

I brought him home yesterday afternoon.  I had set up my back bedroom and bathroom for him.  The minute I opened the door of the carrier, he ran out under the bed in the back corner, and he has stayed there.  I'm trying not to get worried.  He has to get used to his surroundings, but from what I can tell, he has not left from under the bed.  I was hoping he would come out over night and eat or use the box, but I've seen no evidence.

Any advice on how long I should wait to try to get him to come out.  He has been here not quite a day.  I've had cats hide before, but usually if I talk to them they move, but he is back in the corner and won't move.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is terrified of this very unfamiliar place.

I would spend time on the floor where he can see you on his level, always a calm even toned sweet voice.

If you have a little portable radio, put that in there, soft music always playing.

It will take some time here, you can try coaxing him with treats he can't resist, but at this point, he will resist everything.

However, a cat will NOT starve himself, period. He will begin eating during the night when it's all quiet, maybe a small nightlight for him if possible is good. Cats will hold out until their hunger overrides their fear, and he will venture out during the night, likely tonight/by morning tmrw.

Once he does come out, he will go back into hiding of course, and will take time to come out other than for food, until he is sure he is safe and nothing will harm him there.

The smaller the space, the easier it will be for him to adapt, and then gradually opening up other areas in the house for him to explore.

He will creep low to the ground, investigating smells and sounds, things he may have never seen before.

I would avoid vacuuming for a bit too. This is a big freak out for them.

The more he has come out to eat, the closer he will be to trusting you enough to be coaxed out with treats in your hand.

Tuna! Tuna is key.  

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try really hard to get the bed up.  You can either set the box springs and mattress directly on the floor with no bed frame or pick it all up and prop against the wall.  He will continue to hide under there and it will be difficult to get him out.  Also check for other spots he can squeeze into (behind book shelves, in closets, under a desk, etc...).  Do give him a safe place of his own to hide such as a cat tree with a hiding box or simply an box with a cozy blanket. 

Do you have a feliway plug in or some calming treats?  I would also play some soft music.  Visit him often and sit on the floor at his level.  Bring him yummy treats and leave them for him if he doesn't come out.  Gerber stage 2 baby food in chicken/turkey work very well to entice scared kitties. 

Did you bring anything from the shelter with a familiar scent on it?  Maybe a bed or blanket he used to sleep on.  He might feel comforted by a familiar scent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vneidell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to report that it's been a week, and things are going much better.  My foster started coming out from under the bed and meowing around day 3.  If you go into his room, he will do a little hiss and run and hide under the bed.  Even if you stay there a long time, he does not come out, but if I stay in the door way, he is all into having pets and tummy rubs.  I'm guessing he sees the room as his space, and I'm intruding.

Today I'm letting him wander around the full house for the first time.  He immediately went to the other bedroom and hid under the bed, but over time he came out.  Whenever I get up to do anything, he runs back to his hiding places, but over all, he appears to be doing ok exploring.

The only real issue we have at this time is my 5 year old cat Violet.  She has only really known one other animal, Penny, who passed away last November.  So, there is a quite a bit of hissing and growling going on.  I've been trying to derail this with playing with toys and the laser pointer, and she seems to calm down.  My foster loves other cats and there is no hissing back from him.  He actually wants to be her friend.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like really good progress!!!  Will you be keeping the cat or is just a foster who you are socializing and then will be adopted out?  If he will be with you for awhile and he and Violet will be spending time together, you might want to go through the cat to cat introductions:http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm happy to report that it's been a week, and things are going much better.  My foster started coming out from under the bed and meowing around day 3.  If you go into his room, he will do a little hiss and run and hide under the bed.  Even if you stay there a long time, he does not come out, but if I stay in the door way, he is all into having pets and tummy rubs.  I'm guessing he sees the room as his space, and I'm intruding.

Today I'm letting him wander around the full house for the first time.  He immediately went to the other bedroom and hid under the bed, but over time he came out.  Whenever I get up to do anything, he runs back to his hiding places, but over all, he appears to be doing ok exploring.

The only real issue we have at this time is my 5 year old cat Violet.  She has only really known one other animal, Penny, who passed away last November.  So, there is a quite a bit of hissing and growling going on.  I've been trying to derail this with playing with toys and the laser pointer, and she seems to calm down.  My foster loves other cats and there is no hissing back from him.  He actually wants to be her friend.
SOOO typical of a female resident cat! :)

She will be sure to let him know SHE is the boss, it is HER house, HER mom, etc.

Good thing is, males instinctually know females rule and will be submissive towards her, but she will continue this action for about a month, then will feel she has established who's who and knock it off.

Meanwhile she will sort of be a bully with him, but it's necessary in her eyes so allow her to do this, try not to interfere or scold her, show her extra attention, reassuring her she is the baby, the queen :)

Glad he is making progress!