new feral showed up - is this a sign he's been neutered???

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He looks like he has a cut in his ear but its really low on outer side of ear - could just be a wound. He has extremely large testicles. is this a way of knowing if he has not been neutered??? thanks

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has large testicles, by definition he has not been neutered, which is the removal of the testicles ;).

Can you post a pic of his ear? It's probably a war wound but would be interesting to see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he has large testicles, by definition he has not been neutered, which is the removal of the testicles ;).

Can you post a pic of his ear? It's probably a war wound but would be interesting to see.
THanks... I wasnt sure. Ive seen cats that I took to get neutered with testicles afterwards. I thought maybe they were drained . just never knew it was that simple to know (hence why they cut the ears in the first place). I can get a picture later - storm today.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, some males are harder to tell if they're neutered or not. . .many vets leave the scrotum so it can look like the testicles are still there. . .but if he has very large testicles they probably are still there.

The ear tip is done so you don't have to try to get a look at the undercarriage of an unccoperative feral, lol. And also to identify them as part of a managed colony and not just a random neutered cat who strayed away from home.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My recently neutered boy cats....last few years...all have a scrotum so it does appear that they are intact, but the size of your cat makes me think that he is not fixed.

The ear can be confusing and my own vet has often made a very shallow cut which might not be that clearly noticed. Ear tipping should be a straight across cut which has removed enough of the ear to make it clear from a reasonable distance that the cat is a TNRed feral.

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
omg, the size of my kid's balls were insane before he got the snip. they are tiny little beans now. He was about 18 months old, so, mature.

Here's what actual tipping looks like. Anything else is likely fight wounds. Ears are easy targets and can get really chewed up esp in males.

1608163828431.png

Sean35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat that I feed regularly has an ear tip that I constantly questioned as to whether or not it was a tip or a fight wound. Eventually I concluded it was fixed based on the lack of any gender-identifying behavior. It does drive me crazy though that after 8+ months of daily feeding, I still have no idea if the cat is male or female.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks for your help! I guess im trapping again. At first i was hoping he was a female most likely deceased from years ago. Extremely upsetting when i finally saw his huge....
Hes friendly towards my last 2 remaining ferals. But in last 2 weeks he's become a bit bossy and i suppose he could get worse right? He touches noses with the neutered male!