New diet issues are driving me crazy

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We switched from 40:60 wet food to dry food ratio diet with random mixed protein sources to wet food only with one isolated protein source. This was done to identify if food causes my cat's vomiting issues. This is the one we're using now, DRN Solo with 100% rabbit meat:
https://www.petplusultra.com/en/wet-food/1060-drn-solo-coniglio-only-rabbit-300-g-x-6-pcs
Been on it for over a week.

However we are having so many litterbox troubles with now! There has been an increase in urination and a decrease in defecation. The increase in urination is probably due to the moist consistency of the patè, even though he completely ignores his water bowl now (with kibble in his diet he used to drink a lot). He can pee up to 4- 5 times during 24 h, compared to his regular 3-4 (most often 3). And there is always a lot of pee, so no tiny amounts. No blood, no straining, normal flow of pee.

What puzzles me is his pooping - in the beginning all was looking fine, he would do it once a day and it looked like healthy poop. Now for instance, he didn't poop for more than 24 h (around 30) and when he finally did, there was just a tiny bit. The poop isn't hard and round, its soft but just so little. Can't believe that's the amount he managed after 30 hours. He eats and looks normal.

Is this some kind of adaptation phase, or maybe lack of fiber in the diet? What is happening here?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be not enough fiber, not enough water, not enough physical movement - one from the list or more.

Is he on a hairball remedy like malt paste? I would give one daily and see how it goes. I could recommend GimCat one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be not enough fiber, not enough water, not enough physical movement - one from the list or more.

Is he on a hairball remedy like malt paste? I would give one daily and see how it goes. I could recommend GimCat one.
What I don't understand is why does he pee so much, if the food doesn't provide enough water? He has peed 5 am, 7 am and now 10.30 am today, with decent amount of pee. He's got the zoomies now, running around the apartment, which he ofter does after using the litterbox.

Yes, I will start a hairball remedy today, maybe it will help with the pooping. He pooped a bit more today, but also small pieces

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I don't understand is why does he pee so much, if the food doesn't provide enough water? He has peed 5 am, 7 am and now 10.30 am today, with decent amount of pee.
This is something to discuss with the vet and investigate as it is a symptom of some health issues. It doesn't have to be a problem, but something to check.

My own cat eats 1,5-2 cans of wet food a day in four different meals, the rest is dry food. She usually doesn't drink water from the bowl, just what she gets from wet food. Without malt paste, she also gets constipated although she's physically quite active. I have suspicion her grain-free dry food is close to be contipatition-causing somehow. More importantly, sometimes I think the timing of her grooming - dry food and when she drinks the water is the problem. Like she drinks the water when things already got too hard in the intestines with the hair and dry food. I can't be sure, just my best guess from what I see with my cat.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't sound like he's dehydrated to me. It's been shown that cats who eat all wet consume more water total than cats who eat dry, even though the cats who eat dry drink more water. So that all checks out!

The pooping does sound like constipation, which is something you want to keep an eye on. Dehydration isn't the only cause of constipation. Does the current diet have bone in it? Bone can be constipation-causing, so that's a possible source.

Sometimes, though, just a diet change in general can cause constipation in a sensitive cat, but that doesn't mean it will get better on its own. With his already sensitive digestive system, is he on a probiotic? I highly recommend trying a good one if not. Something with high CFU count and L. acidophilus. Anecdotally, this is the only remedy that fixed my cat's constipation problems. 4 years later, she still has issues if I run out.

I keep fiber very low in her diet, and although I have used it to moderate constipation in the short term, it is a tricky ingredient because, although fiber can help push things through, it can also add bulk to the stool which can make constipation even worse. Psyllium fiber might be a good option for you to try adding in the short term. I can't remember how much should be used so I'll have to check on that, or your vet might know. But it's a mostly insoluble fiber that's "rough" enough to push things through in a pinch.

Changes in diet will affect stool that's yet to form, but if there's already stool backed up in the colon, not much can affect that section. Thus, earlier intervention is better and makes the constipation easier to resolve.

Danger signs of more severe constipation are throwing up after straining in the litter box, lethargy, and lack of appetite. Those warrant a vet visit. In your case, I would also take him in if this pattern continues for more than a few days, or if he starts pooping even less. An enema is sometimes necessary to clear some stubborn obstructions.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is something to discuss with the vet and investigate as it is a symptom of some health issues. It doesn't have to be a problem, but something to check.

My own cat eats 1,5-2 cans of wet food a day in four different meals, the rest is dry food. She usually doesn't drink water from the bowl, just what she gets from wet food. Without malt paste, she also gets constipated although she's physically quite active. I have suspicion her grain-free dry food is close to be contipatition-causing somehow. More importantly, sometimes I think the timing of her grooming - dry food and when she drinks the water is the problem. Like she drinks the water when things already got too hard in the intestines with the hair and dry food. I can't be sure, just my best guess from what I see with my cat.
Yes, it makes sense that it's a combination of specific things that causes constipation. My cat is shedding his thick undercoat, so I'm guessing it's hard to pass stool with all the hairballs getting stuck. Hopefully the malt paste will help Musiaka too

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Doesn't sound like he's dehydrated to me. It's been shown that cats who eat all wet consume more water total than cats who eat dry, even though the cats who eat dry drink more water. So that all checks out!

The pooping does sound like constipation, which is something you want to keep an eye on. Dehydration isn't the only cause of constipation. Does the current diet have bone in it? Bone can be constipation-causing, so that's a possible source.

Sometimes, though, just a diet change in general can cause constipation in a sensitive cat, but that doesn't mean it will get better on its own. With his already sensitive digestive system, is he on a probiotic? I highly recommend trying a good one if not. Something with high CFU count and L. acidophilus. Anecdotally, this is the only remedy that fixed my cat's constipation problems. 4 years later, she still has issues if I run out.

I keep fiber very low in her diet, and although I have used it to moderate constipation in the short term, it is a tricky ingredient because, although fiber can help push things through, it can also add bulk to the stool which can make constipation even worse. Psyllium fiber might be a good option for you to try adding in the short term. I can't remember how much should be used so I'll have to check on that, or your vet might know. But it's a mostly insoluble fiber that's "rough" enough to push things through in a pinch.

Changes in diet will affect stool that's yet to form, but if there's already stool backed up in the colon, not much can affect that section. Thus, earlier intervention is better and makes the constipation easier to resolve.

Danger signs of more severe constipation are throwing up after straining in the litter box, lethargy, and lack of appetite. Those warrant a vet visit. In your case, I would also take him in if this pattern continues for more than a few days, or if he starts pooping even less. An enema is sometimes necessary to clear some stubborn obstructions.
No, his diet doesn't include bones or internal organs, it's just a patè which seems to be quite moist. But otherwise it really does sound like constipation, which is something new, because Musiaka never had it before. Today he pooped once more and among the more normal poop bits were a few of those round small bits that are hard to pass. Some hair stuck to them too.

I have a probiotic liquid, but normally I only administer it when his stomach is extra bad. Maybe should start giving it as well before food. For some reason the vet told to use it only on occasion. How about giving some extra water to him? Although that doesn't feel intuitive, since he already pees so much

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, his diet doesn't include bones or internal organs, it's just a patè which seems to be quite moist. But otherwise it really does sound like constipation, which is something new, because Musiaka never had it before. Today he pooped once more and among the more normal poop bits were a few of those round small bits that are hard to pass. Some hair stuck to them too.

I have a probiotic liquid, but normally I only administer it when his stomach is extra bad. Maybe should start giving it as well before food. For some reason the vet told to use it only on occasion. How about giving some extra water to him? Although that doesn't feel intuitive, since he already pees so much
Glad he's still pooping some! I would give the probiotic before or with every meal. It's very hard to overdo it on the probiotics, and I think some cats just don't keep their microflora balanced well on their own.

It wouldn't hurt to add water to his food, but like you said, it doesn't sound like he needs it right now. Extra brushing sessions to get some more hair off before he can ingest might be good if he'll tolerate it, though.