New Companion for our Rosie?

saraharizona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sterling, Virginia (Far Western D.C. suburbs)
Hello, all, and again thank you for your kind messages regarding sweet Zampy .It's been 2 months to the day that we had to let him go.  Although we can never replace him, we are starting to think about a companion cat for our little Rosie.  We travel a lot, and will be gone for 3 weeks this September.  Although we have a great pet-sitting service, we are worrying about Rosie being by herself all that time.  But, we don't want to rush the introduction of a new cat into the house too soon.  I know most cats are pretty independent and can be quite ok by themselves, but we are struggling with whether or not to adopt a new cat in advance of our September trip. Our main concern is Rosie's welfare.  Any advice appreciated.

Sarah

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize for the delay in acknowledging all of your expressions of sympathy and positive comments.  I must admit I kind of disconnected for several weeks after we put Zampy down.  Now, I'm trying think only of the beautiful 15 years we had with him (a gift), rather than those last few awful days.  My heart still aches, though.  I guess it always will.  But we have our little  Rosie (a rescued feral, Flame Tortie with major Tortitude!) to look after and love, and are thinking of, down the road, getting a companion for her, while also helping another cat that needs someone to love them.  Again, thanks all for your sympathy.

Sarah Arizona

MOD NOTE:  Zampy's thread is here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/292917/our-sweet-zampano-zampy

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My condolences on your loss of Zampy. 

How old is Rosie?  The reason I ask is that I have seen it "backfire" when a kitten or very young cat joins a house with a single elderly cat.  They are just "too much."  It can really depend on the cat though.  They are all different.  I would suggest familiarizing yourself with how to introduce cats to each other and consider what that can entail; it's normal for that process to take weeks to months.  Patience is essential for some introductions.  Also consider the sources you have to adopt from.  A cat who has been fostered in a home with other cats might be a good option because you can talk to the rescue an the foster to determine the cat's personality.  

Good luck with your decision! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saraharizona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sterling, Virginia (Far Western D.C. suburbs)
Wooly Wooly (or is it Wooly Bully)?

Rosie is about 11 years old, and in good health.  We adopted  her at a  local Pet-Smart adoption event.  But, as, he can be very combative, we need to make sure we make the right selection for a companion for her.  I think a kitten will annoy her too much. When we got her, our older male cat, Zampy,  had lived with us for about a year.  The introductions were fractious.  Even after 4 days separated, when Rosie finally came downstairs  and he saw her eating from his dish, he attacked her.  I tried to stop the fracas (STUIPIDLEY) by grabbing Zampy.  Uh, duh, don't ever try to intervene in an animal fight.  He bit me so deep in the crook my elbow, I ended up in the ER twice with a week hooked up to antibiotics for deep infections.  In the end, Zampy & Rosie were not the best of buddies, but, they kept each other company.  I think maybe we should look into it.  I'm thinking maybe a middle-aged male big cat (with a calm disposition).

Thank You for Your Input

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, I'd like to offer my condolences on the loss of Zampy. I know it's been a couple of months, but I only joined this forum about a month ago after we had to euthanize my beloved Mr. Grimsby.

We, too, have another cat - Big Bertha - and we've wondered whether she is lonely without him. Like Zampy and Rosie, they were never besties, but tolerated each other fairly well. We've decided to give her some "me" time before adopting again.

Do you think Rosie would adjust to a new cat by the time you go on vacation? It took several weeks before we could let Bertha into the same room with Mr. Grimsby (in fact, she very nearly got returned to the shelter because she was so aggressive). We tried everything the books recommended - keeping them in separate rooms so they couldn't see each other, rubbing them with the same cloth to transfer smells, opening Bertha's door just a crack so she could sniff him, then finally leashing her and letting her out of the room (which didn't work at all).

One other thing I will say is that I visited a shelter a few weeks ago to drop off Mr. Grimsby's uneaten cans of food (Bertha will only eat dry). While there, I met a really sweet female cat who had been rescued from a hoarder and was used to living with lots of other cats. The shelter volunteer was pretty clear that introducing another female to the household was a very bad idea. She kept saying that females are more aggressive than males and strongly suggested looking only at another male cat.

I wish you the best of success whatever you decide to do. In the meantime, enjoy Rosie, who  may be missing her roommate.

Best regards.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that a male would be good. A kitten is usually more easily accepted, but may drive an older cat crazy. I always got TWO male kittens so they could keep each other busy and entertained, and the female could boss them around! 
Plus it kept her entertained to watch them. If that is not possible, a CALM, easy going male would be the next best. Good luck and keep us posted! PS I know the pain of losing a valued family member, please accept my condolences. I pray that Zampy can comfort you with the precious memories that he leaves you, and the love he leaves in your heart. I'm so sorry for the loss and the pain that it brings.