New Cats Mean To Our Dog, Makes Him Scared....

Millie280300

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we've had our Shih Tzu Charlie for 4 and a half years and we lost our cats of 18 years back in March. They got along very well on the end and she never scratched him or hissed at him and he never attacked her either.

Yesterday we rescued 2 new cats Suki and Juno whom are supposed to get along with dogs, and 9 times out of ten when they're near the dog they will swipe at him or hiss at him which makes him cry and feel nervous around them. We do tell the cats off when they do this and today have kept them in separate rooms; whilst one is kept in a quiet room the other wanders around the house and vice versa (both always have company).

Does anyone know how we can stop the Cats attacking Charlie and how to reassure him around them? Charlie is very gentle and does respect cats so we really don't get why they keep going for him. And the Cats are very sociable and placid when they're alone. We really need some advice on how to make this particular situation work out and to make them get along...

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It takes time it's only been a couple of days. My youngest cat tried to welcome my new lab mix the first night as he was very bonded to my last large dog. Unfortunately the young dog tried to chase him and the cat who was a street kitten with packs of aggressive dogs when I found him attacked the dog and scratched his cornea. All my cats decided to show the dog they were firmly in charge and wouldn't even let him cross from one room to another. The little cat was the worst and woukd pop out from under the bed and attack if the dog walked by or jumped on the bed. Once I got home and the dog was locked in a small area and the cat had jumped on and was on top of the dog's crate tormenting him and swatting him while the dog was hiding inside.
I firmly reprimanded the cat and pushed him off the bed and even locked him in the dog crate or bathroom every time I caught him in the act of attacking the dog while making a big fuss of praising the dog for not ever fighting back or attacking the cat. When they did stay on the bed with me together with no wars I'd praise the cat and pat and give them both treats. Basically lots of positive praise, rewards and attention for good behavior and ignoring or even reprimands or locking up any attacks so they associate good things with being nice to the dog and being alone with attacks. Make sure to reward your dog for not fighting back. My guys all get along fine and all skeep with me now although the one cat still swats at the dog occasionally. It took a few months though.