New Cat

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! This community helped me several years ago when I took in an abandoned kitten I found in my alley, named kitkat. He is now 4 years old, fat and sassy. :)

Well, I'm back with another cat, lol. This one was an outdoor cat we took in to prevent him from being surrendered to the humane society. I was nervous for his outcome there due to a weird neck tilt he has. We took him to our vet, he confirmed it's a congenital defect of some sort, but that he was overall healthy. His name is Yeti. He is around 2 years old. Very friendly and always trying to get inside but his owners used him and another cat as mousers.

I tried to do a slow intro with them but poor Yeti was crying up a storm and my cat seemed tense so we allowed them to meet. Other than 1 big hiss from kitkat and some low growls when yeti got too close, I feel like they are tolerating each other well. Both eating good, using litter boxes, etc. They've had a couple encounters where yeti "sneak attacked" kitkat and bopped him but no real fights.

Its been 4 days. Kitkat doesn't seem to love love yeti, but again, no aggressive moves. They've laid close to each other, once or twice.

It seems to be going really well, but I'd love to know any warning signs to look out for. I would hate either cat to feel stressed.

Pics because they are 2 cute cats. Kitkat is gray one and yeti is the one with white paws

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, as the cats get more comfortable, one might get more comfortable faster, and start really playing roughly, which might stress the other. But I think for the most part, the trajectory your on seems terrific, and you shouldn't worry.

The only possible wrinkle, I did sort of wonder if there might be problems in rough play due to the congenital neck condition. I guess I would say not to over react if there is a little neck biting, and a little whining or other protest noises. Thtats all pretty normal. But if the cat with the condition seems off after rough play, that could perhaps indicate a bit of lasting discomfort. I dont think its too big of a concern though. Neither play biting nor play pawing seems to put a lot of torque on the neck -- as much as we like to call it wrestling, there is nothing like what you'd get in human grappling in that regard.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Things seem to be going well, especially since it's only been 4 days. And in the pic of the 2 of them, both look very calm and relaxed.

Things to watch for would be any signs of stress in either of them, such as not eating as much, litter box issues, etc. TCS has this article which lists all the things that can cause stress, as well as the signs to watch for. It's a bit lengthy, but might not hurt to quickly scan it.
Stress in Cats - The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite Articles

The other thing to watch for is any aggression between them. Playing, however, can look like fighting, so here's another article that explains the difference.
Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? - TheCatSite Articles

Thanks for giving Yeti a home. I'm sure he's thrilled to be a loved pet, and not a mouser.
Both cats are beautiful. Hope they'll be best buds soon. :catlove:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For a few days in, this is going wonderfully. You might run into a few disagreements here and there, but that happens with even bonded pairs. So long as there are no outright fights (blood/pee on the floor, fur in the air), they're going to be fine. If one of them gets over-rambunctious, simply give him a very few minutes (no more than 5) as a "time out." This isn't punishment, it is simple a cool-down period, and does not take long at all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the advice! Things at going OK so far, although kitkat doesn't seem to enjoy how energetic yeti is. Everyone is still using all 3 litter boxes appropriately, eating, sleeping in the same room, etc. Kitkat still hisses if yeti surprises him or gets too close. But no actual fighting besides a bop in the face now and again.

Yeti seems to want to be friends but kitkat isn't sure yet. We don't force it, but I'm still nervous. I will read all the articles and continue keeping a close eye. I appreciate this community!!

Pics are of them each sleeping in the house my son made kitkat a long time ago out of a cardboard box. No one wants the expensive cave bed I bought. 😅

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey may never enjoy how energetic he is and prefer him when he calms down.

Hopefully you can keep enlisting your son to help play with Yeti.

Hissing is really good. It's communication rather than straight to fighting. Face boops are fine too. They may turn in to play later. Nobel used to like to play a booping game with the younger boys. He would poke his feet out of the cardboard boxes at them and get poked and booped back.

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey may never enjoy how energetic he is and prefer him when he calms down.

Hopefully you can keep enlisting your son to help play with Yeti.

Hissing is really good. It's communication rather than straight to fighting. Face boops are fine too. They may turn in to play later. Nobel used to like to play a booping game with the younger boys. He would poke his feet out of the cardboard boxes at them and get poked and booped back.
That is good to hear, thank you! Yeti wants to play a LOT, my son is loving it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is good to hear, thank you! Yeti wants to play a LOT, my son is loving it.
Awww I'm so glad to hear. I'm sure they will have a strong bond.

Try to keep nails trimmed on your cats for now. I can send some resources on non-pinning methods for cat nail trims, but basically you'll just be touching his feet alot and doing just a nail or two at a time and giving treats.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't worry a bit about an occasional swat or hiss. Those are entirely normal, even in extremely well-bonded pairs. Sometimes a squabble happens. All part of it. Over all, they are doing very well, indeed.

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't worry a bit about an occasional swat or hiss. Those are entirely normal, even in extremely well-bonded pairs. Sometimes a squabble happens. All part of it. Over all, they are doing very well, indeed.
Starting yesterday, kitkat has chosen to nap in my son's room. It's never been off limits but also something he has never chosen to do often. He's still coming out to eat and use the litter box. Is this just him creating space? Yeti doesn't seem to bother him in there but I don't want kitkat to feel ostracized from his usual spots in the living room.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Starting yesterday, kitkat has chosen to nap in my son's room. It's never been off limits but also something he has never chosen to do often. He's still coming out to eat and use the litter box. Is this just him creating space? Yeti doesn't seem to bother him in there but I don't want kitkat to feel ostracized from his usual spots in the living room.
I think it depends. You said Yeti is spending a lot of time with your son. KitKat might want some of your son's attention.

With two cats, he may be expanding territory and getting some peace from the stress (giving himself a timeout so to speak). Which is amazing, as usually it's something we need to teach a cat to do.

You're doing right by KitKat to keep an eye on his litter and eating habits.

You can try rubbing a blanket or towel on KitKat, and then Yeti and then the living room spots. It may encourage KitKat to come out more.

Ensure that you're going out of your way to give KitKat the kind of love he likes and that will support KitKat too.

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely keeping up on all the lovin for Kitkat. He is laid back, food is his love language and so are cuddles. This morning he came out for breakfast, rolled on his back and let me rub his tummy, all while Yeti was a couple feet away eating his own breakfast. This helped me breathe easier for the moment, lol.

I like what you said about the self-imposed time out. That makes sense for sure.

Thank you again for your advice and reassurance!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely keeping up on all the lovin for Kitkat. He is laid back, food is his love language and so are cuddles. This morning he came out for breakfast, rolled on his back and let me rub his tummy, all while Yeti was a couple feet away eating his own breakfast. This helped me breathe easier for the moment, lol.

I like what you said about the self-imposed time out. That makes sense for sure.

Thank you again for your advice and reassurance!
That sounds like it's progressing very well! It takes a lot of trust to be rolly infront of another cat 😺

Magnus used to give himself self-imposed time ours for his nap time. Nowadays, he likes to nap in the same room as us. Both are okay, though we do encourage our cats to come sleep where we are sometimes by moving them.

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update. Almost 2 weeks in and things are still going pretty well. Yeti does not agree with kitkat's sedentary lifestyle and keeps trying to get him to play chase. Kitkat mainly tries to avoid yeti when he gets too crazy and we play with yeti as much as possible to wear him out lol.

First pic is yeti trying to wake kitkat up (quick "heck no" hiss from kitkat). 2nd pic is both napping this morning in the living room. The red arrow pointing is where kitkat is, buried under blankets which is his happy place. 😊

Attachments

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For two weeks in, this is actually remarkable. Cat introductions are notoriously long and painstaking! Nice work!
I wish I could take credit. It's all Yeti lol. He's got the sweetest, goofy personality. So far, the only thing the 2 cats do together without squabbling is beg for food, but I'll take it. And when I say squabble, I mean kitkat getting annoyed, hissing and yeti laying down and giving "who me?" eyes. 🤣

Kitkat isn't running off to his safe space as much and is back to his old antics of patrolling the fridge. The pic of Yeti is him sprawled out after chasing and killing all my hand towels.

Attachments