New cat

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My beloved 21 year old cat passed and we decided not to get another cat. We still had 4 pets, 2 3 year old dogs, a 3 year old cat and an 18 year old cat. One dog and the 2 cats were rescues who just moved in and immediately made themselves at home. Our shelter called about a 7 year old cat who had been brought in by the relatives of his former owners, 90 year olds who had died 2 weeks apart. He was very traumatized. We took him and he has been here about 24 hours and is still in hiding. The other animals are curious but not aggressive, he barely looks at them. He's not interested in toys, food, anything. I saw him walking around in the night but now he's hiding behind the couch. I need some reminders that he's just decompressing! If it doesn't get better I would not keep him but I'm willing to give it a few months. Please don't judge we are old and this is hard.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing is most probably grieving. Is there any chance you could get something with the smell of his previous owners or a toy of his, it might comfort him. 24 hours is no time, there are strange smells, strange people, strange surroundings and other pets. Give him some time to settle, sit in the room with him and talk gently to him, don't force him to do anything he is not comfortable with. You have been kind to offer him a loving home when he most needed it and I'm sure your patience will pay off. He is still young enough to adapt. Let us know how you are going.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Thank you so much for taking in this poor baby. He must be devastated and so confused. Yes, he will recover because animals live in the present and are so much more resilient than humans.

It was three days before my PTSD dog would let me come anywhere near her. She's a major cuddlebug five months later.

24 hours of hiding is not anything that I would personally consider alarming for any adult cat in a new home, especially if there are unfamiliar pets in that home. I brought my childhood cat to the home where I lived with my then-husband and an adolescent kitten who I had raised from babyhood. The elderly cat hid for weeks and my then-husband was skeptical that she was still alive and in the house, but she did eventually feel like coming out during the day and joining the family.

This was far less extreme than what your new baby has been through. Thank you so much for opening your hearts to him. Just make sure he has access to food, fresh water, and a litterbox and feel free to post for reassurance any time you need to.

Some of the more experienced feral rescuers here suggest that you just ignore the new cat. When they decide to come to you, it is truly magical.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with everyone above! Retrieve any and all items that this poor baby had from his old home if you can - foods/treats, food/water dishes, litterbox, toys, bedding, blankets, cat trees, etc. If there is any way to know if he was used to hearing the TV or radio, maybe even a ticking clock, do that as well in a safe room that is exclusively his for now. And, make sure to monitor his food/water/litterbox so you know how much, if any, he is using these things. Set some treats out as well, and as already said, spend some time with him in the room just talking softly/even reading a book out loud to pass the time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, thank you so much for bringing this dear cat into your home. :redheartpump:

It's impossible to know for sure, but 24 hours is no time at all, and it's completely normal for a cat to hide when brought to a new home. And as has been mentioned, he's likely missing his previous home and humans, not to mention the trauma of having been at the shelter. Plus, depending on the situation with his former owners, he may have been left alone for a while during their illness/passing. And, lastly, he's suddenly in a home with 2 other cats, plus dogs. So a lot to process.

Are you keeping him separate from the other animals? That way he can slowly be introduced to them.

You may have seen these TCS articles already, but here are the links to some that might have some tips for you. Good luck. Please keep us updated.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? | TheCatSite
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat | TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats | TheCatSite

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite

Introducing Cats To Dogs | TheCatSite
Caring For Cats And Dogs | TheCatSite
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far he hasn't eaten or used the litter box. He did pee on my new recliner so I have put him in a spare room so I can better monitor what he is doing. He will come up for pets. I am so worried about no eating or pooping. He is a very large cat (14 pounds). My husband struggled to get him home and if we have to go to the vet we may need help!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise