new cat

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! And don't worry, I've never seen a rude comment posted here.

Is your cat spayed? All the raging hormones in whole cats sometimes cause behavioral issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russell jensen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi thanks fir the reoly yeh joy has be spayed it could be the weather here in melbourne aust it has been warm here so that could be a reason mybe

poppyheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi if she is eating drinking toileting etc normally it may be after 2 months of living with you she is now used to her new territory and no longer needs constant reassurance from you as you have proved to her that you are there when she needs you. I also live in Australia (brisbane though) and it has been unusually hot over the last few weeks so it may be she is just hot and bothered. My cat has not been doing much at all during they day and keeps in the coolest area of the house away from pets and cuddles. Also, welcome to TCS, everyone here is really awesome, friendly and full of great advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russell jensen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks @ poppyheart  i was wondering if she was happy now so thanks for that i am from mackay myself but been in melb for 15 yrs 

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Russell, I agree with Poppyheart that it takes awhile for cats to feel comfortable in their new home but kittens do go through a phase where they try to be independent. It depends on the kitten as to how far they take it. 

It depends on the individual cat as to whether they become a cuddly cat or not once they are an adult. I have two large cats, neither of them like to be picked up now (big cats tend to be this way). For the one who became aloof I made sure to go to her. Give her a few gentle words and a few strokes in the places she likes the most. Paying with an interactive toy like a feather on a stick or something similar will help also and you can nearly always win a cat over with a treat.

My cat shows her affection for us by following us from room to room and as long as we pay attention to her body language so that we know when enough is enough she is still loves to be petted. 

Last edited: