New Cat -- Worrisome Behavior

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now in addition to biting, she scratches whenever I am doing things in her vicinity. For example, today I was working on my laptop and she jumped onto the table and then bat/scratched my hand quite forcefully.
Are you able to trim her claws? Even just the very tips. If so, that will help a lot, as it's the tips that are razor sharp.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Poppysfirstfoster

... who became Poppy's mom!
Young Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I have been nervous to try as she is prone to biting and scratching and does not like her paws to be touched. I have considered trying to clip one or two nails while she is sleeping to see how it goes...

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth, I'll tell you what I've found with a feral I took in this past December.

At first, after she came out from weeks of hiding in my basement, she would swat at my hands any time she saw them move near her. She connected a few times and it was painful. I figured anything in her life outside which moved near her face was either food or dangerous, so she was acting accordingly. Because of that, I am careful to not wave my hand in any way in front of her face. If I want to pat her, I come from behind, provided she seems mellow. She will even offer her back to me for pats and now I can usually work my way up to her head. If I want to pat her but the eyes look wrong, I leave her alone. If she is watching me intently, I leave her alone. If she's staring at my hand, I don't put it near her. The hand swats are very infrequent now, usually only when I forget to read her first and assume too much.

At this point, she even goes to sleep on my lap. I can usually pat her without a problem, provided it's from behind or she's really relaxed. I can even give her kisses. However, I've noticed if she has eaten recently she has a lot of energy and it's not a time to snuggle. Today there are lawn mowers outside and she is agitated, so I can tell she wants to be left alone. Maybe there are certain times of the day or a certain stimulation which make Poppy more agitated? You mentioned when you were doing things, she would go for your hand. Maybe it's because she saw your hand moving and it motivated her to attack or try to play with it?

I can't cut my cat's nails, at least not yet, so they are razor sharp. My sofa and chairs can attest to that, although both the cat scratching posts are still untouched. I am sure if I tried to cut her nails when she was sleeping, she would awaken and attack my hand, not knowing what was going on. Poppy would probably do the same.

Hope that helps. Wonderful to hear about a foster fail.:happycat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Poppysfirstfoster

... who became Poppy's mom!
Young Cat
Purraise
J Joan M - It's reassuring to hear that with patience and time, your cat started to trust you more! I do feel like perhaps her swatting does come from a place of play / curiosity. She only attacks when I'm moving, but she does seek me out when I'm doing things like typing on my laptop just to attack my hands. I've decided to create a more structured play schedule and am setting a goal to play with her with a wand toy for 40 minutes a day to start, and am hoping that gets some of her playful energy out!

I'm also reassured to hear that you also feel like nail trimming is not an option. I've been considering taking her to the vet (we haven't had a chance to go because of lockdowns) and seeing about having them trim her nails, but I am worried it will be traumatic / stressful for her. She does use her scratching posts thankfully!

I'm sure a large factor for her behavior feeling so overwhelming to me at this time is the fact that we are quarantined in a very small space together. I live in a studio apartment in NYC, so neither of us are getting any alone time right now. She came straight from the shelter where she had little human interaction into my studio space where I am constantly nearby. Sometimes I find myself taking extremely long showers just to have some me time without worry of a flying paw coming my way!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I have been nervous to try as she is prone to biting and scratching and does not like her paws to be touched. I have considered trying to clip one or two nails while she is sleeping to see how it goes...
It's not easy clipping claws, I know, as my Ruby also hates having her paws touched. So every so often I get a tip of a claw clipped, but never all 10 front claws at once, and never before the first ones are sharp again. When they are sleeping is the best time to try, but if Poppy is like Ruby, she's a light sleeper and will be fully awake the second you touch her paw. :sigh:

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe Poppy is feeling stressed from being too exposed, also. Have you given her a spot to hide in, so when she gets overwhelmed she can retreat somewhere? A closet with a door ajar, a cat house of some kind, a hiding spot under a bed or chair, even a box turned toward a wall. Maybe that would help her, if you don't already have something like that. It might be calming to her - and you - to be able to get away from each other (without the long shower).